Native Chief REX45 and S90V Sprint discussion and ANTICIPATION thread! (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Native Chief REX45 and S90V Sprint discussion and ANTICIPATION thread! (not alerts)

Post by Enactive »

As an early adopter of the Native Chief, i am really excited that we will see two sprints this year. Hopefully we will also see some other exclusives and more sprints.

I have been angling for an LC200N Salt version (SE and PE) as well as (and maybe more importantly now that there is the Siren) a Cruwear version.

Here is an earlier discussion thread that i started when i first got mine.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84087

Hope to hear what people plan to buy and what for. I like the S30V model and had been planning to go for the REX45, but am reconsidering the S90V. I am curious about S90 and i have some REX. I don't particularly like carbon fiber handles and don't want to pay that premium.
IMG_20200707_192826sm.jpg
Let's keep the chatter out of the alert threads and still keep a robust discussion going about the knives.
Last edited by Enactive on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMM

Re: Native Chief REX45 and S90V Sprint discussion and ANTICIPATION thread!

Post by JMM »

I held the base model a few months ago and I really liked it, knowing the Rex45 was coming I decided to hold out, but I've really been chomping at the bit to get one. I'm not sure that I'll get the S30V version but I am absolutely getting the Rex45 & S90V versions -- two of my favourite steels in a platform that I'm 99.9% sure I'm really going to enjoy and use the heck out of. :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Having the Shaman, Manix and PM2 in Rex45...as much as I've been enjoying this steel, I think I'm set. The Native 5 just felt a bit too small to me, though I did like the design. Sounds like the S90V Chief may be right up my alley (I've never had a knife in S90V)

I just worry, at that price...being used primarily in a warehouse, if it's even worth it compared to all the other knives I already have?? I'm getting to a point where I'm realizing, what I have now is more than enough...but I love trying new designs and steels just for the heck of it! This is such a great and terrible hobby to be so caught up in :p

I try to sell a knife when I buy a new knife these days, but I'm at the point where just about all of mine are sprints/exclusives and would hate to have sellers remorse and pay a premium if I ever wanted a particular model back again! Decisions decisions.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

JMM wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 pm
I held the base model a few months ago and I really liked it, knowing the Rex45 was coming I decided to hold out, but I've really been chomping at the bit to get one. I'm not sure that I'll get the S30V version but I am absolutely getting the Rex45 & S90V versions -- two of my favourite steels in a platform that I'm 99.9% sure I'm really going to enjoy and use the heck out of. :)
Excellent! IIRC you have a few Manix and Shaman, what other models do you like in S90V and REX 45?
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 pm
Having the Shaman, Manix and PM2 in Rex45...as much as I've been enjoying this steel, I think I'm set. The Native 5 just felt a bit too small to me, though I did like the design. Sounds like the S90V Chief may be right up my alley (I've never had a knife in S90V)

I just worry, at that price...being used primarily in a warehouse, if it's even worth it compared to all the other knives I already have?? I'm getting to a point where I'm realizing, what I have now is more than enough...but I love trying new designs and steels just for the heck of it! This is such a great and terrible hobby to be so caught up in :p

I try to sell a knife when I buy a new knife these days, but I'm at the point where just about all of mine are sprints/exclusives and would hate to have sellers remorse and pay a premium if I ever wanted a particular model back again! Decisions decisions.
Yeah, man... i hear ya! Gotta consume carefully! :eek: :D Spyderco makes so many darn cool knives, it's hard not to accumulate too many/ keep within budget.

I had considered an S90V Delica on sale to try the steel, instead of on a premium model like the Chief sprint. You might consider that--use cheaper models to try out steels if that is the primary purpose of that particular exploration.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I got really excited when the REX 45 Chief was first confirmed. Golden made lockback, I know I like the size, and tool steel is majority of my use these days. I have Military and Native in REX 45 already, with the Native getting a lot of use

Now that the S90V Chief is announced, I am torn.

I'm actually interested in comparing it to the Military. In a way, it would be more comparable to the Police 4, but in this large knife category, Military is all I use anymore.

I think I am leaning more towards the CF Chief, but still undecided.
Peter
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Budget?? I lost sight of budget a long time ago. I just pretend such a thing exists for my wife's sake :D
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:34 pm

I had considered an S90V Delica on sale to try the steel, instead of on a premium model like the Chief sprint. You might consider that--use cheaper models to try out steels if that is the primary purpose of that particular exploration.
That was a big reason that I bought the CS s90v manix lightweight. Great chance to try s90v without paying the additional premium for carbon fiber.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Re: Native Chief REX45 and S90V Sprint discussion and ANTICIPATION thread! (not alerts)

Post by TomAiello »

My strategy is to buy the same knife (Manix 2, preferably lightweight) in every steel I want to try, so I'm comparing apples to apples. It helps a lot that my favorite platform gets sprinted in a lot of steels, and that it often doesn't sell out as instantaneously as the Para 2/3 sprints.

I kind of regret not grabbing the CS Manix LW. I have s90v, so I passed on it, but it's not LW, and now I'm wondering if I wanted to have it in that flavor after all.

I think that the Rex45 sprint is going to be my chance to try the Chief, though.
wrdwrght

Re: Native Chief REX45 and S90V Sprint discussion and ANTICIPATION thread! (not alerts)

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m good with my Rex45 in a Manix2 and Military Model. The object of my desire is the S90V Native Chief.

I have the original Chief and have several other S90V Spydies so this superb model and superb steel together will be something like real nirvana...
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

I wonder why the carbon fiber scales don’t seem to be contoured & fluted like the Native 5 sprint. A lot of people seem to love those scales. Seems like a missed opportunity.

I think all Native (FRN, G10, CF) would be better off with more rounded and contoured scales, like the Native 5 in carbon fiber. The almost completely flat scales (except a bit of chamfering near the spydie hole) detract from the overall design.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’ve been taking a closer look at the whole Native family, mainly on your recommendation, Enactive.

Previously, I saw it as a bit of a redundancy since I already have an array of similar sized knives in the Seki line, and I quite like the thumbhole ramp and thinner bladestock.

The Chief is probably the favourite model I’ve seen so far of the Native family. The lines of the model look great in that cool in hand pic.

I’m excited to see both of these models. I’m hoping to be able to get my first REX 45 model in the Chief, but I’ll also be happy with S90V.

I’m also looking forward to trying a Golden made lockback for the first time, which I’ve heard very good things about.
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 am
Enactive wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:34 pm

That was a big reason that I bought the CS s90v manix lightweight. Great chance to try s90v without paying the additional premium for carbon fiber.
How are you liking the steel so far, Julia?

I’ve been really enjoying S90V in the Southfork, it seems to hold that aggressive, bitey edge very well.
Last edited by Cambertree on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

If someone is able to do some comparison pics of the Chief with some similar sized knives I’d be obliged to them.

Say a Military and Police or Endura comparison? I’d be particularly interested to see the top down views. Thanks.
celestiaequestria

Post by celestiaequestria »

I bought an Endura 4 in CPM-S30V when they dropped, and since then I've been eyeing the REX 45 Manix 2 Lightweight and Native Chief. Once I found out how much joy the larger Spydercos brought me in day-to-day use,there's no question I want to pick up a few more.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Pics arent very good.

I also think the ulize has a good bit in common with the chief,... but also very different.
Attachments
20200708_201055.jpg
20200708_201034.jpg
20200708_200941.jpg
20200708_200924.jpg
20200708_200830.jpg
20200708_200806.jpg
20200708_200725.jpg
20200708_200537.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

I am new here but I already have a Kapara and Sage 5 in 30SV and was lucky to get a Shaman in Rex 45...so the two knives I am looking at are the Native 5 in Carbon fiber and the sprint run Native Chief both in S90v. I am not sure about the size of these two knives. I was surprised to see the Native Chief next to a Buck 110 which the NC is just a little bigger...and the Native 5 CF is just a hair smaller than my Sage 5. I do like the style of blade on these knives. So which one would you suggest I get ? both of them are less than $10 apart cost wise.

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:06 pm
How are you liking the steel so far, Julia?

I’ve been really enjoying S90V in the Southfork, it seems to hold that aggressive, bitey edge very well.
Well, I'm definitely impressed with the edge retention. It arrived silly sharp from the factory, and I've been carrying it pretty regularly ever since, but I haven't felt the need to even touch it up yet. It's still sticky sharp, although I haven't exactly been cutting miles of rope with it. Still, it does seem to keep that fresh crispy edge way longer than other steels I've used. And I haven't had any issues with edge damage yet, even on the factory edge, which was a concern for me. But the real test for me will be when I finally go to sharpen it. Hopefully with diamond stones it won't give me too much trouble!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:11 pm
If someone is able to do some comparison pics of the Chief with some similar sized knives I’d be obliged to them.

Say a Military and Police or Endura comparison? I’d be particularly interested to see the top down views. Thanks.
Heya Cambertree! I don't have any Military, Police or Endura models, but here is a quick and dirty photo of the Chief with my Hap40 Stretch, which i know you have so maybe a decent reference. (You were looking for a view down at the spine?)
IMG_20200708_220415sm.jpg
IIRC the blade stock is just a hair thicker (maybe 3.2mm on the Chief vs 3.0mm on the Stretch). The handle is both blockier (though easily contoured) and slightly thinner on the Chief than on the Stretch.

In a hurry now and just catching up on this thread quickly.

Cheers. And more later.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:12 pm
Pics arent very good.

I also think the ulize has a good bit in common with the chief,... but also very different.
Thanks very much, VoodooChild!

That’s great to see those comparisons, much appreciated.
Enactive wrote: Heya Cambertree! I don't have any Military, Police or Endura models, but here is a quick and dirty photo of the Chief with my Hap40 Stretch, which i know you have so maybe a decent reference. (You were looking for a view down at the spine?)
IMG_20200708_220415sm.jpg
IIRC the blade stock is just a hair thicker (maybe 3.2mm on the Chief vs 3.0mm on the Stretch). The handle is both blockier (though easily contoured) and slightly thinner on the Chief than on the Stretch.

In a hurry now and just catching up on this thread quickly.

Cheers. And more later.
Excellent, thanks for that, my friend.

Good to know the bladestock is not too thick and tapers nicely to the point, like the Millie.
JuPaul wrote: Well, I'm definitely impressed with the edge retention. It arrived silly sharp from the factory, and I've been carrying it pretty regularly ever since, but I haven't felt the need to even touch it up yet. It's still sticky sharp, although I haven't exactly been cutting miles of rope with it. Still, it does seem to keep that fresh crispy edge way longer than other steels I've used. And I haven't had any issues with edge damage yet, even on the factory edge, which was a concern for me. But the real test for me will be when I finally go to sharpen it. Hopefully with diamond stones it won't give me too much trouble!
Cool, thanks for your impressions of S90V so far, Julia.

I really like it - more than S30V and S110V.

ZDP189 is usually my go-to for a high wear resistance semi stainless, but I’ve been enjoying the comparison of S90V with its softer matrix and harder carbides. That ability to hold a sticky sharp edge is pretty appealing.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree, it does have an excellent distal taper and fine tip.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I know it doesn't really mean a whole lot, and it's probably not very accurate, but the date for the Rex45 Native Chief on Boker.de is July 31. Just trying to help with the anticipation part of this thread. :D
•• Beau