Question for Dodo users...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Question for Dodo users...

Post by JMM »

So my question for Dodo users is how is the overall cutting experience compared to something like a Lil' Matriarch, and if you happen to own a PE & SE, which do you prefer and why. I'm trying to decide if my first should be a SE or a PE. TIA!

Cheers,

John
Sumdumguy

Re: Question for Dodo users...

Post by Sumdumguy »

I wouldn't get another PE example, if it was given to me.

SE, or no Dodo. It just works.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yes, I think SE is the way to go with these knives. The Dodo, Dodofly, Cricket, Cricketfly, Lil Matriarch, etc. SE is my preference for all of them. H1 or LC200N SE Salt versions of all of these would be amazing knives!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

The Dodo is, by far, my most used knife. Theres been one in my pocket nearly every day since 2014.

I dont have any experience with the lil matriarch, but as far as comparing it to a hawkbill id say the back portion of the blade provides a flat enough section, should the need arise, to make it better suited for all-around use. Thats not to say that a pure hawkbill isnt useful, just that there are definitely situations that its not the best choice.

My user is the orange G10, S30V, plain edge model. I have no experience with a SE dodo, but my experience with SE has always been great and i imagine the dodo would be no exception.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:39 pm

Now I won't completely go along with that. Because like yourself I really loved my Spyderedged Dodo model and deeply regret ever trading it. That trade most definitely goes in my "Stupid File" :o >> But when you get a PE version really razor sharp it makes a pretty nice EDC for using in places where they have draconian knife laws for just general usage. Some major USA cities call for under 3 inches which I consider an abomination. But in places like that I find that the DODO ( PE or SE) can be a great pocket folder when you can't use a full sized knife. I will admit that an SE Dodo can do so much more than a PE version no argument there at all.

But I can't tell you how much I dearly want to see them bring back the Dodo in full Spyderedge. If they do it I will buy 2 immediately so I won't ever have to be without one again. The 2 PE models I still have I really enjoy sharpening them and using them occasionally. I also hope that any newer Dodo models will be made with something besides S30V. I think M-4 would be great for PE & SE both.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:13 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Now I won't completely go along with that. Because like yourself I really loved my Spyderedged Dodo model and deeply regret ever trading it. That trade most definitely goes in my "Stupid File" :o >> But when you get a PE version really razor sharp it makes a pretty nice EDC for using in places where they have draconian knife laws for just general usage. Some major USA cities call for under 3 inches which I consider an abomination. But in places like that I find that the DODO ( PE or SE) can be a great pocket folder when you can't use a full sized knife. I will admit that an SE Dodo can do so much more than a PE version no argument there at all.

But I can't tell you how much I dearly want to see them bring back the Dodo in full Spyderedge. If they do it I will buy 2 immediately so I won't ever have to be without one again. The 2 PE models I still have I really enjoy sharpening them and using them occasionally. I also hope that any newer Dodo models will be made with something besides S30V. I think M-4 would be great for PE & SE both.

Thank you for the input everyone, I pulled the trigger, and have this inbound...

Between this and my new SE Stretch (v1) I'm going to have some seriously serrated shenanigans ahead. :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:20 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:13 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Thank you for the input everyone, I pulled the trigger, and have this inbound...

Between this and my new SE Stretch (v1) I'm going to have some seriously serrated shenanigans ahead. :D
Well you've got the needle on my "Envy Meter" going crazy :D . I want another SE Dodo so bad I'm about to get a petition going for one. To me it just makes perfect sense on any of these Sprint Runs to make at least 10% to 20% of them in SE. There are avid collectors that collect serrated/Spyderedged models.

I believe that they would sell all of the Spyderedged Dodo models that they would make available.
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

Excellent choice JMM! Congrats! You will not be disappointed.

My SE dodo is my favorite blade with my lil' matriarch being up there with it. I prefer the Dodo overall, however the se lil' matriarch may be a bit better for general edc. The ergos reliability of the dodo's blade give it an edge though.

The SE performs so much better that blade steel is irrelevant. Enjoy!
JMM

Post by JMM »

Browncoat wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am
Excellent choice JMM! Congrats! You will not be disappointed.

My SE dodo is my favorite blade with my lil' matriarch being up there with it. I prefer the Dodo overall, however the se lil' matriarch may be a bit better for general edc. The ergos reliability of the dodo's blade give it an edge though.

The SE performs so much better that blade steel is irrelevant. Enjoy!
I was sure that I couldn't get any more excited for it to arrive but apparently not! :D

Thank you for the Lil' Matriarch comparison, I have both the SE & PE and enjoy them both, I just got the PE a couple days ago and it's really impressing me... I will most likely end up starting with this SE Dodo and having absolutely no choice but to pick up a PE as well... right pocket SE Dodo, left pocket PE Lil' Matriarch. :)

Cheers,

John
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Good choice JMM! I'm really hoping that BHQ will run their M4 Dodo in DLC with the SE edge. I've emailed them multiple times to suggest this. I've also been petitioning the guys at St Nicks to do a 4V SE Dodo, so hopefully one of these will happen soon! I think an Orange Cutlery Shoppe exclusive with SE XHP would be cool as well!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

A St. Nick's SE Dodo would be a gorram beauty!
JMM

Post by JMM »

I just posted this pic in the daily carry thread... It's here, it's here!!

My new (and first) Dodo just arrived & it is well, in a word... Magnaflorious! :D

So I've had it since late this morning and I absolutely love it. I'm diggin' the fidget factor for sure, the lock is unlike anything I've experienced first hand... I've been contemplating a q-ball for a while now and I am absolutely going to pick one up. I think the two things I didn't absolutely love about this knife was the wire clip going down vs up, not sure why that was done but it took all of 2 minutes to replace it with a 'standard' wire clip putting it at least a half inch deeper into my pocket. The only other thing I'd say keeps it from being a 10/10 perfect for me is I don't quite understand why no jimping on the thumb ramp, I think some 'medium' jimping (not super aggressive) would be a great touch... anyone else had that thought? All that said, it is an absolutely awesome knife and I'm definitely going to be snagging a PE version soon... does anyone have a model/steel recommendation? I saw the BHQ M4 is out there, and I think that's the only tool steel version if I'm not mistaken...?

So the picture above is what I'm carrying today, and If anyone had told me six months ago I'd be rockin' not only a SE blade, but both my primary & secondary EDCs would be anything but standard PE blades I would have never believed it. This year I have expanded my horizons into the wonderful world of Serrations, as well as non-standard blade types like the Hawkbill & Wharncliffe. It's really interesting & satisfying for me to be learning how to use knives all over again, I dig it. ;)

Thanks everyone for the input, guidance, suggestions, experiences....

Cheers,

John
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

In several ways the Dodo model is like a Cricket model on radical steroids. Which makes it a really awesome short bladed utility knife.

To me it has become the ideal folder to EDC in places where they have draconian knife laws :( . I also like it as an option to take fly fishing or any other type of fishing along streams or open lakes. However I do highly advise the use of a lanyard.