Scarcity of CBBL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lucabrasi

Scarcity of CBBL

Post by Lucabrasi »

Hi folks,

I’ve been wondering why the CBB lock is not used in more models? I’m certain this has been asked before but wasn’t finding results in the search.

I had a Manix 2 that I ultimately sold due to not enjoying the s110v. But I really liked the locking mechanism. Axis lockish without being a knock off, and seemingly more secure, while a bit less fidgety. Seemed to be a good lock.

Why is it basically only in the Manix? I enjoy compression lock too now that I have two that are free dropping, but it’s everywhere, and the CBBL is in one knife as far as I know.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
The Meat man

Re: Scarcity of CBBL

Post by The Meat man »

I don't know either but it is my favorite lock. I wish the CBBL would be used as much as the compression lock.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Great question. There are definitely a lot of us on here that'd like to see the cbbl on more models, myself included.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me the CBBL clearly is the second best lock, quite closely behind the backlock.
Both are the most versatile locktypes imho concerning methods of operation and have the added "safety feature" (concerning knife on pocket) of the self closing bias.

I´d like to see a LOT more CBBL knives too, but I can see two possible reasons why we don´t:

- First and foremost: I think the CBBL limits design options: If you look at how it is placed in the handle and the space it takes up there, I´d assume that it requires a rather tall handle and/or a choil in the blade. So very slim , choilless knives probably could not feature a CBBL (but should at best have comp. lock or linerlock)
Same goes for thickness: I think a very thin knife could not have a CBBL (the thinnest folder possible probably would have to feature a backlock).
So a CBBL Ikuchi or a CBBL Chaparral in the exact same dimensions would probably not be an realistic option..

- Then it is maybe a bit more sensitive to mud or sand?! Just an assumption, I personally never had any such problems with the 2 CBBL knives I own(ed).
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:44 pm
I don't know either but it is my favorite lock. I wish the CBBL would be used as much as the compression lock.
This. Or more often... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:00 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:44 pm
This. Or more often... ;)
Me three.

I'd love to see more CBBL. It seems like the comp lock is Spyderco's default for a lot of things, but I'd love to see some of those things with the CBBL.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I love the CBBL, too, but only have it one knife (G10 Manix 2). Warstein’s observations of why there are not more CBBL models seems pretty spot on.

In comparison to the axis lock, IMO, the CBBL is superior, because it seems like its spring would be far less likely to fail than the axis lock’s omega springs. I also prefer the ball bearing over a locking bar as the contact point.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:32 pm
I love the CBBL, too, but only have it one knife (G10 Manix 2). Warstein’s observations of why there are not more CBBL models seems pretty spot on.

In comparison to the axis lock, IMO, the CBBL is superior, because it seems like its spring would be far less likely to fail than the axis lock’s omega springs. I also prefer the ball bearing over a locking bar as the contact point.

Jim

As far as I can tell based on my experiences, that´s true: Never, ever had any problems with a CBBL (-spring and generally), but both Omega springs in my BM Minigrip did break (but let me say: Benchmades customer service was very good, they sent replacement springs without charging anything from the US to Europe and installing the springs was pretty easy)-
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

CBBL is what brought me here, after having much experience with the Axis. I have only on Compression, but that's because Spyderco only makes one left handed Compression lock. Nevertheless, the CBBL better suits my needs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My problem with this lock is the need for "palm traction" to unlock it...you have to plant the butt end of the handle into the palm of your hand in order to get enough leverage to pull back the lock cage. This forces me to fiddle around with the knife to get it into the right position in my hand to disengage the lock, and I really don't like having to do that and I don't have this problem with any other lock I can think of that I own. It puts the lock in a position where the rest of the handle needs to be a certain size to be able to do this...I kinda wonder how people with really small hands handle this lock, and/or if a much larger handled knife like a Calypso or Police 4 or Tatanka would even be possible because of this issue. It almost turns into a two handed knife/lock. I have pretty strong hands and I can manage to unlock a CBBL with just my thumb, but I'd be lying if I said it was easy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anycal

Post by anycal »

I don't dislike the lock, but my experience is same as David's. And it is more of a problem with the FRCP handles. Wet or greasy hands, and I better make sure that knife is sitting in the correct spot of my palm. The G10 feels more locked in so it is less of a concern, but still have to make sure the knife is in the palm.

I can do the single thumb opening on one of my Manixes, but not on the other. So I don't. Same knife, same lock, I am not going make the extra effort to decide which way to close the knife.
Peter
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 pm
I have pretty strong hands and I can manage to unlock a CBBL with just my thumb, but I'd be lying if I said it was easy.
I think that's my one complaint about the CBBL. The easy one-handed operation of the Axis lock is a HUGE bonus. If we could get the Manix 2 to have sex with the Benchmade Adamas and have little babies with Spyderco ergonomics and the ease of an Axis lock, we'd become world famous Knife Breeders.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I feel like we just had this conversation a couple weeks ago? Overall, most would like to see more models with it in the future if possible.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

Even with the axis lock, I always rest the back or butt of the knife against my palm to one-hand close it, because like the CBBL, I use both my thumb and forefinger to pull both sides at the same time. I always felt, especially with the axis lock, that unlocking with only the thumb side puts unequal pressure on one of the springs, possibly increasing the possibility of a failure at some point. Even if the CBBL were less stiff and easier to unlock, I’d still unlock it with thumb and forefinger, to equalize the pressure on both sides of the cage, or buttons, or whatever. I’ll tolerate a little bit more stiffness for the greater feeling of security and possibly durability as well.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If we’re going to have the CBBL in only one model, I’m glad it’s in the Manix2, the model that sold me on Spyderco.

In what other models should this lock be put, I’d like to know?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Thanks folks, some reasonable hypotheses. I suppose I’m not sure why thickness of stock would be a limitation but certainly see how it might need to be a tall knife to fit the mechanism.

It’s definitely harder to maneuver than the axis lock and my manix was never close to fall shut. But I had no issue with placement in the hand, not to the extent that it turned me off to the lock. It just always felt very secure and snappy in use. I too always grip both sides as with the axis, and this way never have any issue.

This wasn’t a demand for more models, more just wondering why. It’s Spydercos own lock. It’d be like spy27 only ever being available in one model.

And I apologize again if this has been beaten to death previously. I’ve been reading closely here for a few months and didn’t encounter the discussion, and also didn’t find it with the search,
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

No problem Lucabrasi! I was just saying, I thought we were discussing this somewhere a couple weeks ago. Thought I was seeing some of the same things said again and felt like deja vu.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Definitely what Evil D said.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JMM

Post by JMM »

I like the CBBL lock, it's my second favourite Spydie lock, with the bolt-lock being first and compression lock being 3rd... and while I'd like to see more of it, for the life of me I don't understand why the bold lock isn't used more, it's super strong, and can easily be used with one finger... please Sal, please give us more Bolt locks, I already have the CF Sage3 and the G10 Sage3... I'd likely buy anything made with it. ;)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 pm
My problem with this lock is the need for "palm traction" to unlock it...you have to plant the butt end of the handle into the palm of your hand in order to get enough leverage to pull back the lock cage. This forces me to fiddle around with the knife to get it into the right position in my hand to disengage the lock, and I really don't like having to do that and I don't have this problem with any other lock I can think of that I own. It puts the lock in a position where the rest of the handle needs to be a certain size to be able to do this...I kinda wonder how people with really small hands handle this lock, and/or if a much larger handled knife like a Calypso or Police 4 or Tatanka would even be possible because of this issue. It almost turns into a two handed knife/lock. I have pretty strong hands and I can manage to unlock a CBBL with just my thumb, but I'd be lying if I said it was easy.
This is my issue.

I can only open them, reliably, using the palm method. I can thumb it, but that's not an easy task.

Believe me, I tried on several occasions to enjoy it. I couldn't be
Both BBL(least bad of the two) and CBBL.

It is a lock that I do not buy anymore, for that reason. There are many other options that I can use without issue. In my book, anything that has a CBBL, would be better as a backlock.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson