Scarcity of CBBL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Scarcity of CBBL

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:22 pm

It is a lock that I do not buy anymore, for that reason. There are many other options that I can use without issue. In my book, anything that has a CBBL, would be better as a backlock.

As much as I want to love the CBBL more, I think this is probably true. For a while I went back and forth between the CBBL and compression lock and I liked that the CBBL is ambidextrous, but as I've used my knives more and more at work and especially with gloves on, I slowly gravitated towards the CL, and lately I'm thinking the back lock would serve me even better, I'm just waiting for the right model to come along (I'm looking at you Rock Jumper).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Re the "why?" in the original post, my guess is:

Outside designers are either sticking with their usual liner/frame designs, or opting for the flexibility offered by the compression lock.

The BBL/CBBL is used by in-house designers (are they all Eric's babies?) for models that seem almost specifically designed around it.

Did I miss any collaboration projects that used the CBBL?

I'm a compression lock true believer, so I'll keep my opinions of the CBBL out of this thread. ;)
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

How would a Military 2 do with a CBBL? I am starting to like my CBBL over the CL... also helps that the M2 is in Cruwear and CF handles 😁

Hamilton
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like the Manix 2 LW. It's a great 3.5" edc knife in a LW package. The blade shape is nice. The handle could be a bit more neutral for me, but I don't particularly mind it in use.

The CBBL is probably my least favorite part of the knife now. It is basically a two-handed closing action for me because the spring is so stiff. I would enjoy the lock more if the spring tension were significantly lighter and I could easily close it one-handed. Maybe I just need to break it in more?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Moooooore!!!!!!

More CBBL!!!! Big knafe CBBL!!!! 4 inch blade plz!!!!! More CBBL for everyone!!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:31 pm
Who was the designer of the P'Kal?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 pm
My problem with this lock is the need for "palm traction" to unlock it...you have to plant the butt end of the handle into the palm of your hand in order to get enough leverage to pull back the lock cage. This forces me to fiddle around with the knife to get it into the right position in my hand to disengage the lock, and I really don't like having to do that and I don't have this problem with any other lock I can think of that I own. It puts the lock in a position where the rest of the handle needs to be a certain size to be able to do this...I kinda wonder how people with really small hands handle this lock, and/or if a much larger handled knife like a Calypso or Police 4 or Tatanka would even be possible because of this issue. It almost turns into a two handed knife/lock. I have pretty strong hands and I can manage to unlock a CBBL with just my thumb, but I'd be lying if I said it was easy.

I may disagree with your observations:
- In my experience It is true that it certainly takes some friction / pressure against the palm in order to close a CBBL in one of the (quite many) possible methods
- But: It does not have to be the "butt end" of the handle that rests in the palm, but every area of the "handle spine" does the trick!
- So: If I hold a CBBL knife in any regular knife grip that I´d use for cutting, my palm is on the "handle spine" already anyway, and so I have nothing do do but moving one or two fingers (depending on what closing method I choose) to the lock tab(s)
- Maybe you and others would like to try this:
+ Hold a Manix in a regular grip, thumb on the thumb ramp / Move your thumb to the lock tab (no need to "fiddle around", just leave the rest of the hand where it is) / pull the lock tab with the thumb / let the choil drop on your index finger / close the knife from there on like you´d do with a backlock
+ Or, if you don´t want to use just the thumb for releasing the lock: Move thumb and index finger to the lock tabs / pull the lock / let the choil drop on your middle finger / close from there on like a backlock
- If you´re talking about the "all fingers out of the blade path" method though: Sure you have to "fiddle around" then in order to actually get the fingers out of the way. But that is the same with comp. lock and backlock, and you still don´t have to put the "butt end" of the handle in your palm necessarely with a CBBL

Works great and easy for me, but of course that does not have to be the case for everyone else!
Still I don´t see why one would not be able to operae a CBBL knife properly even if it was very long or the persons hands were very small...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

hambone56rx wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:40 pm
How would a Military 2 do with a CBBL? I am starting to like my CBBL over the CL... also helps that the M2 is in Cruwear and CF handles 😁

Hamilton
I am all for never, ever changing the great and in outdoor conditions imho superior linerlock of the Millie to any other lock at all!
But if I had to choose: A CBBL Millie 2 would easily "win" over a comp.lock Millie. Tough do not know if the exact same handle-, blade- and/or choil shape would be possible with a CBBL designwise.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer the back lock, but the CBBL is my second favorite lock. I do not have to reposition my hand to use the cbbl,but I have big hands. I certainly would like to see more of this lock instead of the compression lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:22 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 pm
My problem with this lock is the need for "palm traction" to unlock it...you have to plant the butt end of the handle into the palm of your hand in order to get enough leverage to pull back the lock cage. This forces me to fiddle around with the knife to get it into the right position in my hand to disengage the lock, and I really don't like having to do that and I don't have this problem with any other lock I can think of that I own. It puts the lock in a position where the rest of the handle needs to be a certain size to be able to do this...I kinda wonder how people with really small hands handle this lock, and/or if a much larger handled knife like a Calypso or Police 4 or Tatanka would even be possible because of this issue. It almost turns into a two handed knife/lock. I have pretty strong hands and I can manage to unlock a CBBL with just my thumb, but I'd be lying if I said it was easy.
There are many other options that I can use without issue. In my book, anything that has a CBBL, would be better as a backlock.
I agree 100%
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:23 am
I prefer the back lock, but the CBBL is my second favorite lock. I do not have to reposition my hand to use the cbbl,but I have big hands. I certainly would like to see more of this lock instead of the compression lock.
+1
A CBBL Shaman for example would be an instant buy for me.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Would someone please explain the abrivasion "CBBL" to me?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jurphaas wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 am

Caged ball bearing lock :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jurphaas wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 am

https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/ ... echanisms/
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:30 pm
JacksonKnives wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:31 pm
Who was the designer of the P'Kal?
Craig Douglas, a.k.a. SouthNarc.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I would like to see more CBBL just for the reason that it is Spyderco's very own lock. Yeah, compression lock is also proprietary, but CBBL you don't see very often. Really, when was the last time new knife came with CBBL lock?
Same with power lock, IIRC only Tatanka and Chinook 4 used it.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Maybe another reason why we don´t see more CBBL knives precisely IS that this locktype seems to be seen rather controversial? :

I consider myself a rather experienced knife user, and I really love the CBBL.
But then, guys like Larry Mott, Sumdumguy and David are most likely even more experienced than I am, really know what they´re talking about, would not make judgements just out of the blue and do NOT like that lock (David, you´re kind of undecided, as far as I understand?).
Despite I can´t fully comprehend why this is (just cause it contradicts my very own personal experience with the CBBL), there must be something that makes the this locktype not so good in use for some (even experienced) folks.

While the comp. lock perhaps is a design more people "can agree on"?? (Including myself, though I prefer CBBL (and especially backlock) by far, I still think the Comp. lock is a cool and very strong design)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

CBBL. Works great for me on the Manix XL, not so much on the standard version, which is why I have the BL.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I use my knives at work, where I'm almost always wearing gloves when cutting materials. I don't really use them at home much, never for food. If I use them at home it will be when doing some sort of house project or landscaping work, where I'm also wearing gloves.

Using the CBBL is easier with gloves compared to a comp lock. The main reason I prefer it, and would love to see other designs with it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

As a matter of personal preference, I find the CBBL to be only alright. I don't like having to pinch the lock and pull back.
I unquestionably prefer the BBL. I can easily use one thumb to operate the BBL and retain a good grip.
The only time CBBL wins for me is when wearing large gloves.