Spyderco at Blade Show ATL 2020?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Spyderco at Blade Show ATL 2020?

Post by Candyman »

Will Spyderco have their booth this year at Blade Show ATL this year?

Thanks, Rich
Think for yourself
joeldworkin307

Re: Spyderco at Blade Show ATL 2020?

Post by joeldworkin307 »

According to the exhibitor list, they will not be at Blade Show. Sucks, but I just moved to Atlanta and the fact that BS (kinda how I see it right now) hasn't been cancelled blows my mind.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It also blows my mind that the show hasn’t been canceled yet either! Yet they’ve already canceled Blade Show West in Portland this fall, and they didn’t seem to appreciate my question on Instagram about why they had already canceled the Portland show when the state of Oregon has roughly one-tenth the number of COVID cases compared to Georgia! It doesn’t add up to me, but regardless if Spyderco is not attending either show, there’s a significantly poorer chance that I’d even attend any show.

I have my fingers crossed for a possible spring 2021 OKCA show in Eugene, but I’m guessing there’s still a greater chance of that probably not happening unless a vaccine is made available by then. :(
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

It is nuts for them to keep hanging on and hoping things will be back to normal in August for the show. The list of makers and companies backing out keeps growing daily. That should be an indication for them to concentrate on a big return in 2021. I bought a ticket a while back, but have decided not to attend. It ain’t Blade without Spyderco and all the cool stuff they bring! Their booth has a constant crowd all weekend. See you next year Blade Show.
lionesser

Post by lionesser »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:09 pm
It also blows my mind that the show hasn’t been canceled yet either! Yet they’ve already canceled Blade Show West in Portland this fall, and they didn’t seem to appreciate my question on Instagram about why they had already canceled the Portland show when the state of Oregon has roughly one-tenth the number of COVID cases compared to Georgia! It doesn’t add up to me, but regardless if Spyderco is not attending either show, there’s a significantly poorer chance that I’d even attend any show.

I have my fingers crossed for a possible spring 2021 OKCA show in Eugene, but I’m guessing there’s still a greater chance of that probably not happening unless a vaccine is made available by then. :(
I agree. Props to Spyderco for pulling out this year (based on messages from others above about Spyderco pulling out). This is not a year for big gatherings if we want to stop this virus.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I was just reading that Georgia dropped down to a phase 1.
“ In following Phase 1 guidelines, residents should wear face masks, restaurants should close dining rooms, non-essential city facilities should close and individuals are encouraged to leave home only for essential trips. ”

This would lead me to believe it will be canceled altogether.

Rich
Think for yourself
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I just can’t see anything like that happening in Atlanta this year. Really unfortunate...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Mayor of Atlanta ordered the city return to Phase 1 restrictions, but the Governor made a statement that her order was unenforceable & merely guidance. This is all political posturing & for the sake of this forum I'll just leave it at that.

I've not missed a BLADE show in Atlanta since it 1st moved here. I had plans to attend with my son as he starts back to college August 13th. But if enough knife makers/companies back out I don't see us attending.
Candyman wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:32 pm
I was just reading that Georgia dropped down to a phase 1.
“ In following Phase 1 guidelines, residents should wear face masks, restaurants should close dining rooms, non-essential city facilities should close and individuals are encouraged to leave home only for essential trips. ”

This would lead me to believe it will be canceled altogether.

Rich
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Blade Show 2020 has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

It sucks and it needed to happen. I'm going to spend that weekend whittling in my backyard in honor of the show that never was.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bummer!

But, I guess there's always next year.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:40 pm
Blade Show 2020 has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

For those of us that have tickets we have the option to use them for next years show or get a refund.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Sad as I am not to be able to go, in other ways I'm relieved. The date was conflicting with other plans so at best I might of been able to go 1 day. Knife makers/companies backing out meant I wouldn't get to see all the stuff I wanted to see anyway. And my a/c unit going out, followed by some kitchen sink plumbing repairs cut into my knife funds.

Oh well, I'll be there next year.