Maybe small knives are not TOTALLY awful

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Maybe small knives are not TOTALLY awful

Post by RustyIron »

I've made no secret of the fact I like medium to big sized knives. The M2 and M2XL are my favorites, and I've been carrying a Native 5 LW when I'm slumming it. But... I ride mountain bikes, where hauling around extra junk can move you from First Place to "Fastest Loser." Minimalism is best. A knife clipped to your pocket will be lost. A normal knife in your pocket will rub you until your'e insane. Sometimes I'd like to have a small knife that's a little better than the Cracker Jack Box Victornox that I sometimes carry, which could be carried in my shorts pocket.

Now please allow me to digress...
My wife owns and shows a pristine 1965 Mustang in Poppy Seed Red. I don't know where they came up with that name, because the color is really vibrant orange. It's so bright it will knock your socks off right before you go blind. These cars were only made in San Jose, California, and are a match to the California state flower, the California poppy. Coincidentally, the color is almost identical to the Orange FRN Dragonfly. She wears a bright orange shirt when she shows the car, so it made sense that I'd buy her the Dragonfly. But... believe it or not... she doesn't like the Dragonfly. She's totally old school and likes a traditional slip joint in her pocket. So she put the Dragonfly in a drawer, and there it's sat.

I've been thinking of the Dragonfly, and this weekend asked my wife. She was perfectly fine giving back. She just didn't like it, and I think was relieved that she could now get it out of her drawer. Today I rode with it in a pocket, and it was pretty good. And that got me thinking... if little is good, could more littler be more better? Only one way to find out. I just ordered up a Ladybug in K390.

Regardless of how handy or unhandy I find it, it will come with me on rides. If I like it, maybe it will occasionally find a place in my pocket on a regular day. I'm eager for it to arrive.

In the meantime, hope you like the pic. Good knife. Good beer.
IMG_8195.jpeg
SubMicron

Re: Maybe small knives are not TOTALLY awful

Post by SubMicron »

For different reasons, I had to solve the small knife problem myself. I also prefer to carry a larger knife when possible, usually a PM2 or a Manix.

The Dragonfly is amazing. My first was ZDP-189 and it has seen a lot of use at work. I still use it. Impatient for my K390 pre-order to fill, I bought the HAP40/SUS410 Knife Center exclusive with Pakkawood handles and metal liners. I love it. I wish there was a naked HAP40 version run at a high HRC like REX-45. I'd buy it instantly, any color, liners or not.

The Ladybug in K390 qualifies as my most carried knife because its attached to my keychain with a way to disconnect it. Recently at a wedding, that thing saved the day. With a lanyard on it, I can open and close it safely with one hand.

Beyond that I'd recommend a Lil Native. It's essential to me at work throughout the week. It's truly a hard use small knife. Again, I removed the clip and carry it deep pocket.

They're extremely useful tools that are nearly effortless to carry.

I use the Lil Native for hard use or volume cutting and then with the Dragonfly, I'll use it for extremely fine edge tasks. Yesterday I noticed that I missed a spot shaving, the HAP40 Dragonfly easily corrected that. Generally though it's used to cut large thick plastic bags, paper, or sisal twine.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I also normally don´t carry small knives, whereby I have to say: The Native already IS a small knife for me.. ;)

Still, I was in your situation once and wanted to go even smaller, mainly for IWB carry while trail running.

For me it came down to Chap FRN vs DFly, could handle both and went with the Chap in the end. Mainly for the thinner blade and a lot longer edge.
BUT: If extremly low weight and very small foot print in the pocket would have been my first priorities, the Dragonfly would have been the clear "winner". It is, (though not by that much) even smaller when closed compared to the Chap and unbelievably light. And a really cool design. If I were into smaller knives as much as I am into large ones, I´d certainly own a Chap AND a DFly.

I never even handled a Lil Native, but just by its specs (weight, blade and overall thickness) it would probably not my top choice concerning what I personally look for in a very small folder.

/ Like the pic, like the knife, don´t know the beer ;) Guess I could not find it here in Austria... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like small knives and the Dragonfly is one of my favorites. As for really small knives, I have the Ladybug, Manbug, and Roadie. I actually prefer the Roadie as I can get a better grip on it and can open it with one hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I bought a K390 Ladybug a couple of weeks ago. It’s been living on the key chain since then. I don’t like a lot of stuff in my pockets, but clipped to the pocket is ok; I’ll carry a bigger knife there. I’m surprised that it doesn’t add any bulkiness to the keys on the key chain.

At work I’ll usually pull it out to cut something or If a coworker needs to cut something. It does the job.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the Dragonfly. Like Wartstein, if I am looking for an 'only knife' EDC that's lightweight, I generally go with the Chaparral, but the Dragonfly is my go-to for lightweight, and also the knife I leave in my backpack, my glove box, etc.

It's also a great 'starter' Spyderco. I think I've gifted 6 ZDP dragonflies at various times.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:25 am
I love the Dragonfly. Like Wartstein, if I am looking for an 'only knife' EDC that's lightweight, I generally go with the Chaparral, but the Dragonfly is my go-to for lightweight, and also the knife I leave in my backpack, my glove box, etc.

It's also a great 'starter' Spyderco. I think I've gifted 6 ZDP dragonflies at various times.

Oh man, maybe I should get a Dragonfly additionally to my Chap... :rolleyes:
The DFly would even come in SE and does not cost a fortune..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Small knives are the exact opposite of awful :)
Just different tools for different situations.
My Ladybug is my most carried :spyder: , always on a lanyard around my neck.

Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

The only time I use a knife smaller than the shaman is when I need to not cut too deeply into something. In those circumstances a shorter edge is usually better. The dragonfly is the sweet spot for me. I keep a serrated dragonfly salt on hand at all times, and carry a zdp dragonfly as well when I’m at work. Situational knives, but irreplaceably useful for me.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I was in the same boat before I tried out the Dragonfly myself. But after carrying and using it, it has blown my mind. It is a much smaller knife than I typically like to carry, but it feels and handles like a much bigger knife. It definitely outcuts its size category. Im sure in time everyone can learn to love the Humble Dragonfly :)
Justin :spyder:
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:43 pm
Like the pic, like the knife, don´t know the beer ;) Guess I could not find it here in Austria... ;)
Thanks for the info, folks. I'm looking forward to trying out the new "smallest of the small" when it shows up in a few days. Normally I don't need a knife on a ride, but the prickly pear fruit will be ripening over the next month or so. It's very common in our hills. Normally I avoid it because the chances of getting thorns in your hand is about 100%. If you get the tiny stickers in your gloves, you might as well throw out the gloves. A knife is necessary to shave the fruit and reduce the chance of getting poked. Maybe I'll take a few pictures of the Ladybug and a Prickly Pear fruit, once it ripens.

Wartstein:
I wouldn't expect Mammoth Mountain Brewing to be exporting that far. The Western U.S. is really the Beer Mecca. We do our own styles using our own locally grown hops. A gentleman named Greg Koch, one of the most inspired and well known brewers alive today attempted to bring our Western U.S. style to Europe, but wasn't well received. You can see a movie about him: The Beer Jesus from America. Prosit!
SDCowboy

Post by SDCowboy »

The Dragonfly may be the perfect folding knife. It is perfectly capable for anything 99% of people need a knife for, it's very socially acceptable (I honestly don't get how some of yall comfortably use some of the larger knives in public), and just feels great in the hands.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 am
My Ladybug is my most carried :spyder: , always on a lanyard around my neck.
I have that same Ladybug as my keychain knife. It's pretty much always with me, making it my most carried knife. I rotate all the other knives, but that one just rides around everywhere on my work keys.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My wife has a Ladybug, and I do think it's a great little knife. But for me, I don't like carrying a lot of stuff on my keychain...but I also don't like carrying my knives clipless. So a Ladybug/Manbug is a no go for me. I do find the Dragonfly to be the perfect little knife though and enjoy carrying mine a few times a week or every other week, paired with the usual Manix/Shaman that I tend to carry. Though the SE Wharnie Delica is starting to get in the mix now.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:39 am
TomAiello wrote:

Get a SE hawkbill dfly, Wartstein! ;) :D It's become my go-to knife for city bike rides, walks, etc. It's barely noticeable iwb, and fits in the little key pockets of running shorts or leggings. And the SE hawkbill blade is so dang handy! I've got the ladybug version on my keys, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I keep a hawkbill Dfly salt in pocket at all times. It's seen a lot of use, and it tanks a bunch of the adhesive and gunk of package opening.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I prefer larger Spydies—my Delica and Native5s are small to me—but curiosity has led me to acquire the even tinier Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Manbug Salt, Dragonfly (G10 and Salt), Squeak, Urban, Pingo, and Lil’ Native (midlock).

Each is quite capable and I like them all, except the Squeak, even though I have quibbles about my Urbans’ pivots and my Pingo’s too-slick titanium handle.

I dislike the Squeak because it bit me like no other Spydie. I attribute this attack to its blade, too curved for its length, which came off its work way too easily, unlike any of my other Spydies.

My RRP usually carries a Bug: the hawkbill during tours of our gardens, the wharnie for all else.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I always prefered to carry larger knives, because of working necessity. I loved small, quirky knives. But, they were more of a curio piece.

Ever since I "retired", I have been carrying a Micro Dyad or Kiwi 99% of the time.

The Micro Dyad has become my baby. It's my favorite little guy, hands down.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:39 am
TomAiello wrote:

You will love it. I’ve got 8 or 9 of them. I have a SE Salt in my pocket now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’ve had a penchant for smaller knives (blades at 2.5” or less) for as long as I can remember. Spyderco whetted my appetite for smaller knives when I discovered their “Little-Big-Knife” concept. I like larger knives too, but there are times when a smaller knife is easier and less cumbersome to carry—especially if I’m carrying clip-less, which is fairly often.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal