Damascus UK Penknife UKPK - HANDLE OPTIONS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Superfool

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK - HANDLE OPTIONS

Post by Superfool »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:59 am
Hi SF,

Yes, There is another thread asking for Ti. Hard to estimate costs until we get down to what is wanted. Cost estimates take time, which is a limited quantity at Spyderco these days. Formed Ti is expensive s it is not easy to machine and finish.

sal
If an ivory g10 on damasteel wer to come in at say $150 and all other factors as a constant, do you have any kind of a figure I can use as a guide, for the increase in cost of the handles being...

1. Plain carbon fibre
2. Titanium
3. Stainless steel

Strictly as a VERY LOOSE estimate, and not holding you to it at all (got that everybody?)

Otherwise I really have no frame of reference here.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I like the idea of a contoured ivory micarta (is this what’s meant by formed?), contoured or fluted shredded CF, or peel ply CF. It will be interesting to see how this shapes up!
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

If i can get some kind of a ballpark guide from Sal, then I will get the first poll created. If not then we will have to go in blind, but I will do my best.

Last time I mentioned his name, he spookily appeared.

Sal? Are you there, Sal?
David

sal

Post by sal »

Hi SF,

Yes, I'm here. Not spooky though.

I think if you are going to do another handle poll. I would say include G-10 as it is more popular than steel or Titan and less expensive. I have a hard time designing for a price. Let's try to figure our what most really want and go from there. We don't cut corners on quality. I'd like to keep it under $150 MSRP if possible.

It might be nice to do a poll on the patterns so I can get general idea of what folks like.

sal
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Ok.
I will sort out both polls when I am off tomorrow.

The hospital is crazy busy right now, and I am totally knackered.

Thanks.
David

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Contoured ivory G10 would be so nice and also affordable. If it does well then maybe a more expensive version can me made with other materials. Like a play on the Kopa series.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:24 am
Hi SF,

Yes, I'm here. Not spooky though.

I think if you are going to do another handle poll. I would say include G-10 as it is more popular than steel or Titan and less expensive. I have a hard time designing for a price. Let's try to figure our what most really want and go from there. We don't cut corners on quality. I'd like to keep it under $150 MSRP if possible.

It might be nice to do a poll on the patterns so I can get general idea of what folks like.

sal

100% support this! If not 200% ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
fixall

Post by fixall »

$150 msrp would put the street price of just north of $100 (like $105), which is better than I could have ever imagined. I was thinking an MSRP of at least $180 (about $125 street).

So far it's looking like ivory G10 and solid carbon fiber are the front runners. I'd be more than happy to own this UKPK in either materials.

On a side note about the carbon fiber... I don't want to speak for everyone else (so please chime in if I am wrong), but I think the people interested in solid carbon fiber would likely be happy with any of the true carbon fiber options. Whether that be 3k, shred, marbled, lightning strike silver, or 1x1. I think the important part (at least to me) is that the carbon fiber be solid.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Based on that price point, this won't be my slipjoint.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

sal wrote:
I'd like to keep it under $150 MSRP if possible.
If it comes in at that price point I'll buy multiples. And I don't think I'm alone.
JMM

Post by JMM »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:43 pm
sal wrote:
If it comes in at that price point I'll buy multiples. And I don't think I'm alone.

[+1]

Agreed, I'm in for 2 at that price -- assuming it won't keep someone else that wants one from getting one.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

On the carbon fibre option, I’m ok with the CF layered over G10 as a cheaper option. I think solid CF tends to make the raw materials cost a fair bit higher, and it doesn’t really offer any performance advantage to me for the extra price.

But if people have strong opinions about solid CF, I’m ok with that too. I’m just thinking along the lines of keeping costs down.

If contouring of the handle edges is not a cost effective option either, maybe a heavy chamfer might be possible. But again, this is not too hard to do as an aftermarket home mod.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:39 am
My leaning is for ChrisinHove's original suggestion for formed ivory G-10, but I'll continue watching.

sal
I’d be happy with that. :cool: :)
fixall

Post by fixall »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:40 pm
Too cheap?

The options you were suggesting would have put the price point well over $400 ($280+ street) I imagine.
archangel

Post by archangel »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:43 pm
sal wrote:

Please allow everyone to get their one copy.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

fixall wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:26 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Too cheap?

The options you were suggesting would have put the price point well over $400 ($280+ street) I imagine.
Quite a bit.

At that price, it will be a pig in a silk suit.
If you're going to use Damasteel, do it justice.

If you're just going to throw it on some plain Jane G10, no thanks.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

All in on contoured ivory G10!
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 am
fixall wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:26 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Too cheap?

Quite a bit.

At that price, it will be a pig in a silk suit.
If you're going to use Damasteel, do it justice.

If you're just going to throw it on some plain Jane G10, no thanks.
I am sorry that this design isnt going the way you wanted SDG, but when you are asking for bolsters, locks, liners, it really sounds like you want a different knife to the UKPK.

It was established very clearly, quite early on that if the knife requires a redesign, or crazy materials, the it was nit going to happen. This came from Sal, who has final cut here.

I think a 'pig in a silk suit' sounds more like a non-premium blade in a premium handle which is presumably not your point. Maybe you mean something along the lines of a "prom queen in sack-cloths"? Either way, it feels fairly disheartening to read such negativity like that on here, while I am trying to sort this all out. It kinda stands out amongst all the other very positive people on this forum.

I cant please everyone, as you have repeatedly made clear, but as I said, it sounds like you want a completely different knife. Maybe you could start a thread to see if you could generate some interest in a premium redesigned UKPK? I would definitely be interested to see where it went.
David

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sorry if you felt that I was attacking you

When I said "pig in a silk suit", it was more of an expression of a half measure. Maybe "supermodel, in a trashbag" would be more accurate.

I don't even like the UKPK all that much. But, we have been requesting more Damasteel options for a while. Now that we are finally looking into it, we are talking about pairing it with some drab, plain handles?

To me, that is ridiculous(and slightly insulting). Damasteel is like art, cheaping out on half of the knife seems like the wrong option.

-Thomas Jefferson
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:29 am
Damasteel is like art, cheaping out on half of the knife seems like the wrong option.
“Art is in the eye of the beholder.”

Now if I was to be holding a UKPK in Damasteel with contoured ivory G10, that would be a beautiful art piece.
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW