Pm2 S110V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dwight K Shrute

Pm2 S110V

Post by Dwight K Shrute »

Hey guys I just joined! I’m gonna be getting my fifth Spyderco next week. It’s a Pm2 s110v. I’m super excited. The original pm2 is pretty widely regarded as one of the best edc knives available. My question is does the s110v take away some the hard use factor for the pm2 because of brittleness or chipping? I would love some feedback from people who have them and use them fairly hard (carving, LIGHT batoning small pieces of wood, just general light camping and edc activities). I would like this to be the knife that is in my pocket the most! I live in New Hampshire and I go camping and fishing often so I’m wondering how this version of the pm2 will hold up in those situations! Thanks Spyderco peeps!
CTS-XHP Para 3 LW, Cruwear Yojimbo 2, LC200N Salt 2
sal

Re: Pm2 S110V

Post by sal »

Hi Dwight,

Welcome to our forum.

I think the knife will serve you well. S110V is a very special steel. Don't let it get too dull. The best way to maintain these "Exotic" steels is to touch up often. Sharpmaker works fine.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have this knife. To be honest I bought it for the color of the scales. As Sal said, don’t let it get too dull because while S110V holds an edge for a long time it also takes a long time to get sharp once dull.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The PM2’s a great knife. I only have S110V bladesteel in a UKPK, which is more of a dedicated slicer the way I’ve sharpened it, rather than a hard use knife, but you might like this video from forum member BBB (Deadboxhero):

https://youtu.be/7-_2eXUGir8
Dwight K Shrute

sal wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:26 am
Hi Dwight,

Welcome to our forum.

I think the knife will serve you well. S110V is a very special steel. Don't let it get too dull. The best way to maintain these "Exotic" steels is to touch up often. Sharpmaker works fine.

sal

Thanks sal! It’s so cool to hear from the man himself! I don’t have a sharpmaker. I do have the Lansky angle system. What angle should I do touch ups at? 20degrees? And is that the standard angle for most factory Spyderco edges?
Red

Post by Red »

Welcome, I have this knife and can assure you that you will absolutely love it! Great choice.
👍

I liked it so much, I also snagged a Military with the 110v!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That is a wonderful piece. It’s essentially sprint/exclusive level at production availability. As long as you aren’t torquing through hard plastic etc you don’t have much to worry about on the edge, just keep it current as other have suggested.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I, too, have this one.

Everybody likes to call the handle color “blurple”, but I think Evil D got it right when he called it “indigo”. A mysterious name to enclose a mysterious steel.

S110V cuts forever, but as Sal says, don’t let it get dull. Sharpening response is not this steel’s strong suit. You’ll discover this fact pretty quick even if you have good abrasives but in a narrow range.

Congratulations. You’ve come to a good place.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

It’s not like S30V is really a “hard use” steel, anyway. If you were accustomed to, say, Cru-Wear, there might be tasks that you would hesitate to try. But the transition from S30V to S110V is nowhere near that drastic.
driftingfir

Post by driftingfir »

S110v is stronger than what most people give it credit for. It's not the first steel I'd pick for hard use, but unless your trying to go through logs and chop I can't see you having any problems.
Dwight K Shrute

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:47 am
That is a wonderful piece. It’s essentially sprint/exclusive level at production availability. As long as you aren’t torquing through hard plastic etc you don’t have much to worry about on the edge, just keep it current as other have suggested.
Hey jonleblanc, thank you! As far as touch ups go I have a Lansky angle guided system. I should be okay just doing touch ups at 20degrees on this knife?
Dwight K Shrute

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:18 am
The PM2’s a great knife. I only have S110V bladesteel in a UKPK, which is more of a dedicated slicer the way I’ve sharpened it, rather than a hard use knife, but you might like this video from forum member BBB (Deadboxhero):

https://youtu.be/7-_2eXUGir8
Hey cambertree! Whoa that video was crazy! Very impressive. I didn’t realize that was even possible with just a knife. I was already excited about my new pm2 but now I can’t wait to cut all my change in half! Saves space!
Dwight K Shrute

Thanks everyone! I’m really excited to use this knife everyday! As far as touching up the edge im a newbie at sharpening. I have a Lansky angle system, should I do touch ups at 20degrees? I know if the angle doesn’t match I’ll have to remove material.

(P.s. I was trying to respond your comments individually but I think I was doing it wrong...)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have the Para2 "blurple in S110V and you better listen to what Sal told you. Because if you get that S110V blade really dinged up it can be a monster to re-sharpen. You just about have to have diamond sharpening tools for reprofiling and for grinding in the relief ( unless you want to learn new curse words :D ).

I mainly EDC my M390 Military>> it holds an edge almost as good and sharpens a bit easier. I'm probably going to get a Para2 in M390 as funds permit. But you can't hardly go wrong with any of the Para2 models or any other model made in GOLDEN, CO USA Earth for that matter.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:32 pm
I have the Para2 "blurple in S110V and you better listen to what Sal told you. Because if you get that S110V blade really dinged up it can be a monster to re-sharpen. You just about have to have diamond sharpening tools for reprofiling and for grinding in the relief ( unless you want to learn new curse words :D ).
Seconded, or thirded? I bought a DMT jig sharpening setup specifically because of my struggle with sharpening s110v from dullness. You must clean your apex/edge angle as well as possible on the coarse before moving on to the higher grits, because once you get to those higher grits, your ability to shape the edge decreases dramatically, even for diamond, relatively speaking. Trying to apex s110v on ceramic or any non-diamond conventional abrasive is foolhardy. *Extremely* wear resistant steel.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Dwight K Shrute wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:53 am
sal wrote:
Hi Dwight,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Thanks sal! It’s so cool to hear from the man himself! I don’t have a sharpmaker. I do have the Lansky angle system. What angle should I do touch ups at? 20degrees? And is that the standard angle for most factory Spyderco edges?

Not Sal but the edge bevels are around 15 DPS out of the box.

I highly recommend sharpening it before you use it the 1st time.

Since you have a Lansky set it to 15 DPS and raise a good bur on each side using the coarse stone. That means raise a bur on one side then flip the blade and raise a bur again. Then sharpen as normal from there to what finish you like.

I recommend between 400 and 600 grit for best results.

Touch ups every now and then depending would be fine on a ceramic rod or Sharpmaker...

As far as use goes, just use as you would any other steel really, like S30V as an example and it will be fine.

Here is mine, just use it for cutting down cardboard, I keep it in a cup with pens etc.

I actually just cleaned up the blade after I took the photo, got the glue off (WD-40) then made 2 passes total on my Strop loaded with DMT #6q Compound and hair was flying off my arm again... Doesn't take much at all to maintain S110V really.

Photo after....

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Dwight K Shrute wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:57 pm
Hey cambertree! Whoa that video was crazy! Very impressive. I didn’t realize that was even possible with just a knife. I was already excited about my new pm2 but now I can’t wait to cut all my change in half! Saves space!
No worries Dwight. :) Yeah, pretty cool video for sure.

Is this your first PM2? If so, you're in for a treat, my friend. ;) :cool:

You didn't mention what abrasives you had with your Lansky set, but diamond paddles will certainly help.

The Lansky has a 17 degree per side setting, yeah? That might actually be closer to the factory edge angle than 20 dps.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Welcome to the sickness! You picked a beauty for the first spyderco! I'm carrying the same one right now. Enjoy. It wont be your last.
Dwight K Shrute

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:04 am
Dwight K Shrute wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:57 pm
No worries Dwight. :) Yeah, pretty cool video for sure.

Is this your first PM2? If so, you're in for a treat, my friend. ;) :cool:

You didn't mention what abrasives you had with your Lansky set, but diamond paddles will certainly help.

The Lansky has a 17 degree per side setting, yeah? That might actually be closer to the factory edge angle than 20 dps.
I have a diamond coarse, a standard 120 coarse, the standard medium, the standard fine 600 grit, and the strop. And yes it’s my first pm2!
Dwight K Shrute

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:04 pm
Dwight K Shrute wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:53 am
sal wrote:
Hi Dwight,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Not Sal but the edge bevels are around 15 DPS out of the box.

I highly recommend sharpening it before you use it the 1st time.

Since you have a Lansky set it to 15 DPS and raise a good bur on each side using the coarse stone. That means raise a bur on one side then flip the blade and raise a bur again. Then sharpen as normal from there to what finish you like.

I recommend between 400 and 600 grit for best results.

Touch ups every now and then depending would be fine on a ceramic rod or Sharpmaker...

As far as use goes, just use as you would any other steel really, like S30V as an example and it will be fine.

Here is mine, just use it for cutting down cardboard, I keep it in a cup with pens etc.

I actually just cleaned up the blade after I took the photo, got the glue off (WD-40) then made 2 passes total on my Strop loaded with DMT #6q Compound and hair was flying off my arm again... Doesn't take much at all to maintain S110V really.

Photo after....

Hey ankerson! My Landry only goes to 17 degrees. I have a diamond coarse, the standard coarse 120, the standard medium, standard fine 600, and the strop attachment. So you recommend sharpening it as soon as I get it? I’ve spent the last two weeks practicing burr sharpening (I’ve sharpened a lot of my buddies cheap knives lol) mostly in CTS bd1n and 8cr. I know s110v is going to be a completely different animal. I don’t have a sharpmaker. But touching it up with my fine stone at 17degrees on the Lansky s should be ok right? I’m assuming you want me to sharpen it right away to set my own angle that I can touch up easily without having to remove material?