Kiwi 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Kiwi 5?

Post by ChrisinHove »

The last few weeks I’ve been carrying my Kiwi 4 a great deal. It’s a great fit for larger hands, the blade length and profile is incredibly versatile as a household and urban edc, and it carries exceptionally easily with it’s slim profile and deep carry clip.

All features lauded in more recent models.

So was the Kiwi4 just ahead of it’s time?

What changes would you make in a Kiwi5?
captnvegtble

Re: Kiwi 5?

Post by captnvegtble »

I would love an original Kiwi (backlock, same blade shape with hollow grind and pointy tip) but in the size of the Kiwi 3 (slightly larger than the original) and with a pocket clip (like the Kiwi 4)! A hybrid of all, but in the same great ergonomics and blade as the original.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I've always liked this design, particularly the 4. I'd love to see a sprint or exclusive along the lines of the knifecenter Hap 40/wood series. I think it would be a perfect fit for the design. Traditional scale material and non stainless steel like grandad would carry but with modern edge retention and ergonomics.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the Kiwi 4 failed because it didn't quite fit anywhere. It didn't have fancy scale inlays and bolsters so it didn't fit in with the gent's knife crowd, it was basic black G10 but wasn't tactical enough to compete with a Para 2, and it was "just VG10" so it didn't appeal to the steel snob crowd. It was also priced along side models that did fit those categories, so I'm not sure who it was really marketed for. I think if they had done nothing more than polish the G10 that would have made it a more successful model. It's really a shame because otherwise I thought it was the best example of the Kiwi family, certainly the best performing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think what killed it was the marketing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Don’t own one, really want one, can’t understand why it ever left the lineup. I remember looking at those a long time ago, before I ever got into Spydercos, and thinking “wow what a cool knife.”
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:46 am

For me, the Kiwi 4 was somewhat depressing. It embodied the truth of Whittier's "of all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, it might have been". If there was ever to be a Kiwi 5 they should, at the very least, omit the clip and replace the peel-ply G10 with rounded and polished G10 or Micarta.

Even better, go back to the double bolster look of the original Kiwi. Made that way, in short runs along the lines of the Kopa's, with a variety of interesting natural materials for scales, it might actually do well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Paul,

I was hoping that you would chime in. I agree with you.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:46 am
I think the Kiwi 4 failed because it didn't quite fit anywhere. It didn't have fancy scale inlays and bolsters so it didn't fit in with the gent's knife crowd, it was basic black G10 but wasn't tactical enough to compete with a Para 2, and it was "just VG10" so it didn't appeal to the steel snob crowd. It was also priced along side models that did fit those categories, so I'm not sure who it was really marketed for. I think if they had done nothing more than polish the G10 that would have made it a more successful model. It's really a shame because otherwise I thought it was the best example of the Kiwi family, certainly the best performing.
Your polished mod was stunning iirc.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:10 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

For me, the Kiwi 4 was somewhat depressing. It embodied the truth of Whittier's "of all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, it might have been". If there was ever to be a Kiwi 5 they should, at the very least, omit the clip and replace the peel-ply G10 with rounded and polished G10 or Micarta.

Even better, go back to the double bolster look of the original Kiwi. Made that way, in short runs along the lines of the Kopa's, with a variety of interesting natural materials for scales, it might actually do well.
With all the talk of a Damasteel UKPK it struck me that with the same treatment - pretty blade and polished contoured g10 scales - the Kiwi would be magnificent.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:09 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:46 am
Yes. Yes it is!
Evil D wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:47 pm
Not just in gent's knives, I want it in everyday user knives too. I think it's a fair compromise to polished micarta (in looks at least) and it doesn't have the same shrinkage issues as micarta.

C'mon...it looks ridiculously good. :cool:

It's also a crime the Kiwi 4 didn't come this way from the factory. Absolute missed opportunity.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Those polished scales are a HUGE improvement. Bolsters like the older versions With scales like those would be about perfect. Polished micarta, wood or bone would look great as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:09 pm

That one has moved on to a new owner and I miss it very time I see those pics. I'm definitely interested in a new version or even a sprint of this one. Seems like a prime candidate for CF/ZDP if nothing else.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The Kiwi (like the Kopa) fits in the gentleman folder category IMO.
I love my original Kiwi 1's and 2's for this reason.
Not a fan of my Kiwi 3 due to bad fit & finish on mine resulting in a scale that doesn't fit the bolster, a really sharp protrusion which'll cut your finger when gripping, and the downgrade in overall quality.

A new version of the Kiwi should stick to it's niche;
Lose the clip, downsize it to the original's size, bring back the bolsters, and give it a nice inlay material.
So, closer to the original design I suppose :p Then again, don't fix it if it ain't broken.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Deacon wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Bingo!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The Deacon wrote:
For me, the Kiwi 4 was somewhat depressing. It embodied the truth of Whittier's "of all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, it might have been".
Hey, Mister Literary Scholar.
The City of Whittier, California is right next to where I live. I knew Whittier was a guy, but didn't know anything about him until your quote inspired me to read a little. He never came here, but the city was named after him. The main street through town is Greenleaf. Interestingly, despite being a Quaker abolitionist, the statue dedicated to him was defaced a couple weeks ago. Maybe today I'll find time to read more of his poetry. Thanks.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I got kicked out of the UKPK club for my expensive tastes...

I'll just have to bring them here, where the people are more "sophisticated". I like the Kiwi better, anyways! :p :D

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see an upgraded Kiwi program with small, limited, upgraded runs. Kind of like the Kopa.

Speaking of which, autocorrect thinks I really want a Koa knife. Which would be a pretty cool scale material.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

It's funny, the Kiwi 4 is the only Kiwi that appeals to me. I am big into peel ply G10 and wire clips though. Different strokes I guess. I'd buy a Cruwear sprint in a heartbeat.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:28 am
Hi Paul,

I was hoping that you would chime in. I agree with you.

sal
You beat me to it, Sal.

I like my Kiwi4, but its squared-off handle, sometimes uncomfortable, has disinclined me from carrying it. I’d like the handle softened with a more pronounced chamfer, at least.

And I never imagined a wire-clip to be beefy until I put the Kiwi4 in my hand; I guess the knife, being a gent’s, ought to go clipless, but I haven’t bothered to remove mine because of the handle issue.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”