Who is actually going to carry their Bombshell?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Who is actually going to carry their Bombshell?

Post by TheGiant80 »

I was lucky enough to score a Bombshell when they landed at my retailer here in Canada. I’ve always told myself I wouldn’t buy a knife I’m not planning to carry, and it feels extremely good in-hand (despite my massive mitts), but I can’t decide if it’s actually going to be a user or not. I feel like it’s too nice of a knife for me....?

To whoever else grabbed a battle pickle, has it become part of your EDC or no? If so, how’re you liking it thus far?
TkoK83Spy

Re: Who is actually going to carry their Bombshell?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:45 am
I was lucky enough to score a Bombshell when they landed at my retailer here in Canada. I’ve always told myself I wouldn’t buy a knife I’m not planning to carry, and it feels extremely good in-hand (despite my massive mitts), but I can’t decide if it’s actually going to be a user or not. I feel like it’s too nice of a knife for me....?

To whoever else grabbed a battle pickle, has it become part of your EDC or no? If so, how’re you liking it thus far?
I'm willing to bet we won't see any being used, besides maybe cutting a piece of cheese or something. Doesn't exactly look like the best slicer anyways though!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
WRB

Post by WRB »

I’ve been EDCing my Bombshell since day one. First thing I cut with it (other than paper) was some tree branches that were scraping my Tahoe when I parked under them. Worked a treat. Just sliced up a box so it would fit better in the trash. I sharpened it up to a mirror edge with my Edge Pro Matrix stones and it cuts like a dream.

This thing has too good of fit, finish, and ergonomics to sit in a box. And it looks different than your standard fare pocket knife, so that’s cool too.

So yeah, it’s a great EDC. I’d recommend giving it a try.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It doesn’t appeal to me but my advise is to use it. Maybe it isn’t the best knife at being a knife but it is even worse at being a knife if it never leaves its box.

If you think it is too nice then save it for special occasions. I bet most of us on here have justified a purchase because we needed a knife for when we dress up. I don’t abuse or daily carry my CF/Damascus Caly3 but I carry it on those rare occasions that this blue collar guy dresses up.

In the end just make sure you enjoy it! :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

I have.

Feels so substantial for a smaller folder. Perfect size and my example was quite sharp.

Spyderco knives are for carry.

Shame this wasn't a wider release. Nothing like the Chubby which I didn't care for.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I’ve carried mine, too. I’ve taken it to work a couple of times and shown it to a couple of coworkers. Their first response is, “ What the...”

I did run by the SFO this week and another customer asked Kyle whether the had any in stock; nope, all gone. So I pulled mine out to let the customer see/handle it. He liked it.

I told them it’s great for cleaning your fingernails, too. (If you’re Bigfoot.) ;)
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I don't have one, can I carry yours? Pleasssssseeee..... :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

We all know Sal, Eric or the collabs don't create a knife just to sit in a box or a safe. It's safe to say, they want us to use them to appreciate all the time and work they put into these knives!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

This Bombshell arrived today. Pretty sharp out of the box. Good lockup. Nice, contoured, hand-filling handle. The pocket clip is a bit tight for my liking, but I will still carry it in thinner pants.
bombshell 01.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 pm
This Bombshell arrived today. Pretty sharp out of the box. Good lockup. Nice, contoured, hand-filling handle. The pocket clip is a bit tight for my liking, but I will still carry it in thinner pants.bombshell 01.jpg

Why not bend the pocket clip a bit in the direction where it will be less tight?
I sometimes do the opposite (so bend a clip in the other direction) when I am afraid I could loose a knife when hiking, so that the clip is tighter
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:46 pm
Why not bend the pocket clip a bit in the direction where it will be less tight?
I sometimes do the opposite (so bend a clip in the other direction) when I am afraid I could loose a knife when hiking, so that the clip is tighter

Thank you for the suggestion.

I will see if it loosens by itself after some pocket time. I've never bent a clip before so I am afraid of breaking it. A valid concern as this model that doesn't use the standard Spyderco three-hole clip pattern.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:46 pm

Thank you for the suggestion.

I will see if it loosens by itself after some pocket time. I've never bent a clip before so I am afraid of breaking it. A valid concern as this model that doesn't use the standard Spyderco three-hole clip pattern.
I don´t think you´d break it if you are just a bit careful and don´t bend it too far.

! Of course I unscrew the clip before bending it (when bending in the direction "make it tighter" one has to unscrew it anyway in order to be able to bend it "downwards", but I´d also do so when bending it "upwards" to avoid stress on the holes for the clip screws and the screws themselves).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:04 am
I don´t think you´d break it if you are just a bit careful and don´t bend it too far.

! Of course I unscrew the clip before bending it (when bending in the direction "make it tighter" one has to unscrew it anyway in order to be able to bend it "downwards", but I´d also do so when bending it "upwards" to avoid stress on the holes for the clip screws and the screws themselves).

I tried bending it, but it is still tight. I think part of it has to do with the clip's shape, which doesn't provide much clearance with the handle scale. I will just live with it for now, as I'd rather have a clip that is too tight than one that is too loose :)
bombshell clip.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:04 am

I tried bending it, but it is still tight. I think part of it has to do with the clip's shape, which doesn't provide much clearance with the handle scale. I will just live with it for now, as I'd rather have a clip that is too tight than one that is too loose :)bombshell clip.jpg
Wise words, my friend! ;)

/ I have only bent two or three Seki spoon- and one frankensteined wire clip on a old Native to be tighter.
Might very well be that this does not work as well with the bombshell clip.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I saw it referred to online somewhere as the "danger pickle". I think it is a great looking knife. It's heavier for it's size than I prefer, but I really like the looks of it. No matter, since they are already gone anyway
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

^ Yes, I am fortunate to live in a country where the less mainstream Spyderco models do not move as quickly. As such, dealers sometimes get stuck with discontinued gems in their inventory until some AFI stumbles upon them.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Have you thought about a lanyard with a clip on it? Like a TEC clip
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

SG89 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:08 pm
Have you thought about a lanyard with a clip on it? Like a TEC clip
I don't use lanyards, so I have not considered this option. Anyway, I tried the Bombshell on pants with thinner fabric, and the clip works fine, so I will just match it with those. Thanks for the suggestion :smlling-eyes