What brings you more joy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
standy99

Re: What brings you more joy?

Post by standy99 »

Like to use knives, and don’t worry about battle scars.

But I have been guilty of swapping a knife out for a beater Delica which looking back I probably didn’t need to.

I do have enough knives handy to be able to pick the one for the job. So I am not going to use a Mnandi in the garden
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Definitely my user knives. The extras and others that see no use I end up forgetting about. They sit around sometimes for years because I'm not thinking about them. In fact I've bought extra extras because I forgot having one already and when I see a sale on a knife I like I buy it.

I mean no disrespect to any knifemaker out there but I find the knives I keep reaching for due to comfort and practicality more often than not are Sal's designs. His hand size and shape must be pretty close to mine as those are the knives that fit like a broken in good pair of sneakers or work boots. They also seem to never wear out with the kind of use I give them which sort of explains why I have extras in a box that I have never used. The upcoming K390 Endura or/and Stretch will likely inspire me to buy another extra even knowing I'll probably never need it.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:09 am
... I find the knives I keep reaching for due to comfort and practicality more often than not are Sal's designs. His hand size and shape must be pretty close to mine as those are the knives that fit like a broken in good pair of sneakers or work boots. ...
Very much this. I sometimes think Sal is a hand twin of mine.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I’m not really even sure what my knives look like. Just know they have a handle, a blade, and they cut. :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Lol, I’m one of those “weirdos“ who enjoys collecting vs. using their knives. :p I do have a few dedicated users, but my true joy and satisfaction comes from looking at and feeling a design.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

A good balance of both works for me.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I totally get where you’re coming from OP. While I intend to carry and use all my knives and don’t really have any intention of selling them, I find myself sometimes putting one of my rarer knives back in the knife roll and grabbing one that’s seen more use. It’s not that I want to keep them in pristine condition a it is the thought of damaging or god forbid losing a knife I really love and which I can’t easily replace. But that said, I end up actually liking the knives I use more just because they become part of my life.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I only enjoy knives that regularly find their way into my pocket and see use. Except for gifts and "retirees," I sell the knives that sit in my drawer, collecting dust.