Kapara

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nick D. Fingerz

Kapara

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

Here are my thoughts on the Kapara the mailman delivered to me yesterday.

A little background first. I'll be 64 next month, got my first good knife as a present in 1966, a Case Stockman. Unfortunately, I lost it about a dozen years later (the only knife I ever lost), and replaced it with a Buck 301. It, and a 110 were the only pocket knives I owned, until sometime in the '90s, when the 110 was replaced with a similar Kershaw. Thumbstud, titanium scales, ATS-34 blade, screw together construction, lighter and carried better than the 110. Served me well for many years, more svelte than the 110, it was still pretty much of a pocket brick. Without all the boring details, since 2008, I've been through a lot of knives with Benchmade and Spyderco being in the majority. I don't collect knives, if it's not used it gets sold.

My most used knives are a Benchmade 940-1 and a 943. The 940 is my EDC at work and the 943 sees the most pocket time otherwise. My Spydies that are keepers were down to an Endura and my old sprint run Rookie. I wanted another Spyderco.

The Kapara has been on my radar since it came out, but I've never handled one. While visiting a friend this past Saturday, he showed me his new Kapara. I ordered mine Sunday, it came yesterday which was perfect, as I'm off work until Monday. It's been in my hand or pocket since. I like everything about it. The fit and finish is flawless. Really. Flicks open and drops shut just like a 940. A tad bigger in all dimensions, it carries just as well. Fits my hand perfectly. Handles intuitively, like a knife I have owned for years. Razor sharp from the factory, even the pivot was perfectly adjusted. It is beautiful, photos don't do it justice. This is my first Taichung Spyderco and I have to say the crew there does excellent work.

This is all highly subjective, but this knife is close to perfection to me, If you've never handled one do so when the opportunity arises.

And now the photos, including one with the competition.

sal

Re: Kapara

Post by sal »

Hi Nick,

Glad you like the model. The development time was long, some 2 years anyway. It really was a nice collaboration between the the designer (Alistair Phillips) and Spyderco. The original design was for a slip joint Bar-BQ. knife. I asked Ali to make a Compression lock version a big longer. Ali studied the Compression lock (we sent him samples) and eventually designed the Kapara.

It really goes to show that the design is critical to the success of a model.

sal
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Photos really dont do it justice. I love mine.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

It really is about as close to perfection, as one can get! :)
A real home run. I hope we'll see it in S90V, someday.

For me, the part of the design that really sets it above so many. Is the ability for me to have my index finger, directly under the pivot pin. All while not taking away from any cutting edge length. That's so nice. I look for this in all of my new purchases now (Liong Mah Field Duty, as one example). It's still rare, but I am finding more of them, now that I am looking for that.

I think the only two things I'd change about it (besides the steel upgrade to S90V). Would be to have a brighter red backspacer. Which I've since solved, by having Alistair make one for me. ;)
And secondly, for my hand size. It would sure be nice, for it to be about 25% taller.

Kapara, for the Win! :spyder:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Congratulations on a great choice and review, Nick’

I couldn’t agree more!
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

SteveMidwest wrote: It really is about as close to perfection, as one can get! :)
A real home run. I hope we'll see it in S90V, someday.
Kapara, for the Win! :spyder:

I'm a big fan of S90V, that would force me to buy another.
sal wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:05 pm
Hi Nick,

Glad you like the model. The development time was long, some 2 years anyway. It really was a nice collaboration between the the designer (Alistair Phillips) and Spyderco. The original design was for a slip joint Bar-BQ. knife. I asked Ali to make a Compression lock version a big longer. Ali studied the Compression lock (we sent him samples) and eventually designed the Kapara.

It really goes to show that the design is critical to the success of a model.

sal
I can believe it took a long time to develop. The design and execution are superb, well worth the effort.

I'm liking the Kapara more with each use. I'm sure this one will be around forever. As Bill Kirchen said of the Fender Telecaster, "Born at the junction of form and function".
brj

Post by brj »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:05 pm
The original design was for a slip joint Bar-BQ knife.
sal
I'd love to see that happening at some point.

Mine is likely my most used folder for food prep and one of the few that actually feel great in prolonged use on a cutting board.

Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

Hey Nick sir I am glad you like your Kapara I am 61 now and owned nothing buy cheapies my whole life had the Buck 110 and a few others...but the Kapara was my first real knife I bought 2 months ago and I have been bitten by the spydie bug and still looking for more knives. I have looked and looked to see what else I need...and every time I compared all the Spyderco knives on different web sights. I keep coming back to the Kapara. What a beautiful knife. I wanted something like my work knife I have used for over 20 years and the Kapara is as close to it as anything else I have found.

The Kapara is too nice to trim the coating off of wire so I bought Sage 5 LW for that job.

the Sage 5 LW was nice but a little lite for me and with all the talk hear about the Shaman I was lucky enough to get a sprint run in Rex 45:
Image.

The Kapara is the best knife for me and it fills all my needs...I just wish they would make a Kapara II with a 3" blade I would buy one in a heartbeat....probably two. ;)

Signalman :mad: :) :D
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

This is my favorite spydie. It is not what I choose for my work/outdoor knife. Prefer my Rock Jumper for that. The fit and finish, the materials, and the slimness just gets my pocket time more than anything else. Relatively neutral grip is great in the hand. I wish it was a tad thicker for the compression lock and I wish the handles were a little grippier. However, the scales are amazing to look at. This knife is quite close to perfection for me. The minimal choil is great. Allows you to choke up without sacrificing edge length. It is a must have for any spydie fan. Sorry, if that sounds like a commercial, but it is that great.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:16 pm
This is my favorite spydie. It is not what I choose for my work/outdoor knife. Prefer my Rock Jumper for that. The fit and finish, the materials, and the slimness just gets my pocket time more than anything else. Relatively neutral grip is great in the hand. I wish it was a tad thicker for the compression lock and I wish the handles were a little grippier. However, the scales are amazing to look at. This knife is quite close to perfection for me. The minimal choil is great. Allows you to choke up without sacrificing edge length. It is a must have for any spydie fan. Sorry, if that sounds like a commercial, but it is that great.
The Kapara in its existing form is almost perfect indeed for more "civil" indoor use.
I enhoyed mine a lot in such scenarios.

Have said it before: I'd really wish for an "outdoor Kapara": Grippier FRN scales and ideally a linerlock for better and safer operation in harsher conditions.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Haven’t carried mine in a while but you’re reminding me of all the reasons I love it. I’ll have to get it back in rotation. Awesome knife, your take is spot on for me at least!
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

I endorse all your words but the Kapara, for me, is one small step from perfection.

I would like the deep carry clip to allow a slightly deeper carry so that when it goes in the pocket the knife would disappear from view and only the clip would be seen. In the case of a wire clip, this could be done without having to modify the design of the knife: it would be enough for the clip to lengthen a few at the top (where the whire bends). This goes for the Kapara and all the other models on which Spyderco has decided to mount deep carry clips. A very simple modification which would make a bunch of Spyderco fans happier.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I like the comparison photos!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Agreed, it’s one of my favorite designs. The choil position/depth, handle ergos, and blade shape are near perfection. I would love to see more “spin-off” versions in the future (different lock types/handle materials/etc).

The Kapara would make it into my work rotation more if we could get a textured G10 and FRN version (I already close it like a lockback at work so the small opening is less of an issue).

My ideal version would be a liner lock with textured G10 and throw in some Magnacut just for fun.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Does the Kapara have a "guillotine" drop even with the pivot fully tightened? Some of Spyderco's bushing models are a bit "loose" for my taste.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:12 am
Does the Kapara have a "guillotine" drop even with the pivot fully tightened? Some of Spyderco's bushing models are a bit "loose" for my taste.

Mine did, despite being the "old' pre cqi version...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 am
ABX2011 wrote:

That's odd. I thought the original version was on washers, no bushing.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:

Yes, it was... but still extremely free dropping (more than I like actually)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 am
ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:

Yes, it was... but still extremely free dropping (more than I like actually)
I think maybe Wartstein's Kapara is not typical for the pre-CQI version. Mine's from the first run and I can tighten the pivot enough that the blade won't drop at all. I'm pretty sure I can lock the blade with the pivot. I've loosened the pivot so it closes with a slight flick of the wrist. There's a tiny bit of side-to-side blade play when I have it adjusted like this. I've considered selling it and buying the updated version with the bushing pivot. After thinking about it, it's not worth losing money just to get the newer one. My original one is actually really nice as is
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Interesting. It doesn't seem to bother most, but I dislike any side-to-side play that can be felt even with the blade open and lock disengaged. Oftentimes the lock will stabilize the blade despite a loose pivot such that no play is detected.
When the pivot can't be fully tightened you sometimes get the fast guillotine drop which I don't like.
The CQI Ikuchi does that for example.
To me, a bushing pivot will a loose tolerance is just sloppy. It makes assembly easier of course.