Kapara

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
austrian_spyder_fan

Re: Kapara

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Hi Nick,

nice review.
I also like the Kapara design more and more.
But I'm waiting for the Lil Kapara because i like smaller knifes.

ASF
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:50 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:38 am
ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 am

Mine did, despite being the "old' pre cqi version...
That's odd. I thought the original version was on washers, no bushing.
Yes, it was... but still extremely free dropping (more than I like actually)
I think maybe Wartstein's Kapara is not typical for the pre-CQI version. Mine's from the first run and I can tighten the pivot enough that the blade won't drop at all. I'm pretty sure I can lock the blade with the pivot. I've loosened the pivot so it closes with a slight flick of the wrist. There's a tiny bit of side-to-side blade play when I have it adjusted like this. I've considered selling it and buying the updated version with the bushing pivot. After thinking about it, it's not worth losing money just to get the newer one. My original one is actually really nice as is
I, too, have a pre-CQI Kapara.

Anecdotally, I’ve tightened the pivot enough to remove side-to-side play but can still wrist-flick the blade to start its close without causing it to drop shut. Just how I like it.

If a turn of the pivot can’t stop side-to-side play or drop-shuttyness, something is amiss, IMO.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I don't own a Kapara, but that HAS to be the future of finger choils...largely into the handle, less into the blade. (I hope.)
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

OK, I just noticed my old thread was bumped.A year later, I don't have much to add. I did get the Exclusive 20CV from DLT and that slid into the rotation. I was going to do a scale swap but I've come to like the grey. Still loving this knife, it gets a lot of use.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:28 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:16 pm
This is my favorite spydie. It is not what I choose for my work/outdoor knife. Prefer my Rock Jumper for that. The fit and finish, the materials, and the slimness just gets my pocket time more than anything else. Relatively neutral grip is great in the hand. I wish it was a tad thicker for the compression lock and I wish the handles were a little grippier. However, the scales are amazing to look at. This knife is quite close to perfection for me. The minimal choil is great. Allows you to choke up without sacrificing edge length. It is a must have for any spydie fan. Sorry, if that sounds like a commercial, but it is that great.
The Kapara in its existing form is almost perfect indeed for more "civil" indoor use.
I enhoyed mine a lot in such scenarios.

Have said it before: I'd really wish for an "outdoor Kapara": Grippier FRN scales and ideally a linerlock for better and safer operation in harsher conditions.
Ok, so after more use with the Kapara, I second the FRN for outdoor. I know FRN is not the most popular choice in the collector's world, but for me, I grab the lightweight FRN knives when working or going outdoors. I love the feel and look of nicer scales, but when I know I'm going to use the knife a lot, the FRN find it's way in my pocket every time. Throw in a back lock too.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
JSumm wrote:
This is my favorite spydie. It is not what I choose for my work/outdoor knife. Prefer my Rock Jumper for that. The fit and finish, the materials, and the slimness just gets my pocket time more than anything else. Relatively neutral grip is great in the hand. I wish it was a tad thicker for the compression lock and I wish the handles were a little grippier. However, the scales are amazing to look at. This knife is quite close to perfection for me. The minimal choil is great. Allows you to choke up without sacrificing edge length. It is a must have for any spydie fan. Sorry, if that sounds like a commercial, but it is that great.
The Kapara in its existing form is almost perfect indeed for more "civil" indoor use.

Have said it before: I'd really wish for an "outdoor Kapara": Grippier FRN scales and ideally a linerlock for better and safer operation in harsher conditions.
Ok, so after more use with the Kapara, I second the FRN for outdoor. I know FRN is not the most popular choice in the collector's world, but for me, I grab the lightweight FRN knives when working or going outdoors. I love the feel and look of nicer scales, but when I know I'm going to use the knife a lot, the FRN find it's way in my pocket every time. Throw in a back lock too.
Thanks for the reply! :smiling-cheeks

Yes, this great design deserves a rough and tough outdoor variant!
A backlock would be cool indeed, but I don´t think this and the current blade would fit into the narrow Kapara handle (I figure either the blade would have to get narrower/less tall or the handle taller) - so I suggested a linerlock. I know, not the favorite for many, but for me the best in operation with gloves, cold hands and so on and overall safer than a comp. lock in outdoor conditions.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:26 am
JSumm wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
JSumm wrote:

A backlock would be cool indeed, but I don´t think this and the current blade would fit into the narrow Kapara handle (I figure either the blade would have to get narrower/less tall or the handle taller) - so I suggested a linerlock. I know, not the favorite for many, but for me the best in operation with gloves, cold hands and so on and overall safer than a comp. lock in outdoor conditions.
I really like my standard Kapara, it's become one of my favorite Spydercos in the relatively short time I've had it. I would also like more of a beater model, with grippy FRN, as long as they keep the liners, like the Delica, the action on my linerless models is fairly homely compared to my linered models, especially the excellent Kapara.

Also I'd want to keep the comp lock as it's one of the best features of the Kapara and contributes to the excellent complete package. In my experience with liner locks (like most of us, I have many), I have reached the conclusion that if anything they are less safe, not more, than the comp lock, which when used properly keeps fingers out of the blade travel and is very difficult to accidentally actuate during use. The liner lock, unlike the comp lock, back lock, Omega, etc requires that a finger be in the path of the blade, usually not a problem, but can and has gotten people if they get a little careless at the wrong time. Maybe there are fringe cases where a liner has specific advantages, but that's certainly not the norm, in my opinion.

In summation, the Kapara as is, is great, a cheaper FRN working version would be a really neat option, as long as excellent features like liners and comp lock are retained.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gtscotty wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:18 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:26 am
JSumm wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I really like my standard Kapara, it's become one of my favorite Spydercos in the relatively short time I've had it. I would also like more of a beater model, with grippy FRN, as long as they keep the liners, like the Delica, the action on my linerless models is fairly homely compared to my linered models, especially the excellent Kapara.

Also I'd want to keep the comp lock as it's one of the best features of the Kapara and contributes to the excellent complete package. In my experience with liner locks (I have many), I have reached the conclusion that if anything they are less safe, not more, than the comp lock, which when used properly keeps fingers out of the blade travel and is very difficult to accidentally actuate during use. The liner lock, unlike the comp lock, back lock, Omega, etc requires that a finger be in the path of the blade, usually not a problem, but can and has gotten people if they get a little careless at the wrong time. Maybe there are fringe cases where a liner has specific advantages, but that's certainly not the norm in my opinion.

In summation, the Kapara as is, is great, a cheaper FRN working version would be a really neat option, as long as excellent features like liners and comp lock are retained.
Well, like often in the comp. vs linerlock discussion we have to agree to disagree in all friendliness... ;)

For me a comp. lock is no match for a good linerlock in harsher conditions, and this is even more true for the Kapara comp lock: Small cutout, narrow slick handle, pretty awkward to operate with gloves, or cold,greasy, wet... fingers, while a linerlock works perfectly for that and keeps the grip very natural on the knife.

The "fingers out of the blade path" - thing was never of any relevance for me (but I respect if it is for some!) and IF one uses the typical comp lock fingers out of the blade path method the knife is pretty prone to get dropped in harsh conditions (Lance Clinton wrote this is one of the reasons why the Siren has a backlock and not comp.lock for example).

If one uses a "fingers NOT out of the blade path method" though, the comp.lock is actually less safe for the fingers than a linerlock.

Furthermore I can recall at least two accounts here where people DID disengage a comp.lock when gripping the handle harder (for me though this would be not an issue at all with the comp.lock)

And, lastly, ergos: In hard use the comp.lock cutout at the top of the handle is very prone to create a hotspot in prolongued, hard use, not so the linerlock cutout for me.

That's why an outdoor-Kapara for me should switch to a linerlock.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Incorrect closing technique aside, I concur that we'll have to agree to disagree. I have no issue with liner lock Kaparas being offered (lord knows there's no shortage of liner locks out there) as long as they represent an expansion of the line and not a ruination of the original formula for those of us that much prefer it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gtscotty wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 am
Incorrect closing technique aside, I concur that we'll have to agree to disagree. I have no issue with liner lock Kaparas being offered (lord knows there's no shortage of liner locks out there) as long as they represent an expansion of the line and not a ruination of the original formula for those of us that much prefer it.
There definitely IS a shortage of Spyderco linerlocks out there in the mid and higher end line up (generally and when compared to comp locks)... Millie...Bradley... perhaps now the S35VN Tenacious and Resilience...and not many more, right?

Anyway, we DO agree on that the Kapara is a great design, no doubt! :smlling-eyes
I enjoyed mine a lot, in the end though my Enduras (pretty close in size) overall did more for me. Otherwise I probably would still have the Kapara.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gtscotty wrote:
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a less expensive working version with FRN handles. I agree the features (liners, comp lock, etc) should all be kept per the original Kapara design. Keep the bushing pivot too please
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:39 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
There definitely IS a shortage of Spyderco linerlocks out there in the mid and higher end line up (generally and when compared to comp locks)... Millie...Bradley... perhaps now the S35VN Tenacious and Resilience...and not many more, right?

Anyway, we DO agree on that the Kapara is a great design, no doubt! :smlling-eyes
I enjoyed mine a lot, in the end though my Enduras (pretty close in size) overall did more for me. Otherwise I probably would still have the Kapara.
From the current Spyderco catalog...

Sage 1
Subvert
Roc
Valloton
Pattadese
Schempp Bowie

If you add the frame locks (basically same thing) you can add a whole bunch more.

That's just Spyderco. I believe Gtscotty was generalizing when they said there's no shortage of liner locks out there. There's a whole bunch of other companies making them and have for a long time
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a less expensive working version with FRN handles. I agree the features (liners, comp lock, etc) should all be kept per the original Kapara design. Keep the bushing pivot too please
Concur, one of the things that really impresses me about my Kapara is how incredibly smooth the action is given the total lack of blade play. Just a really high quality feel, and in line with the feel of my other Spyderco knives from the Taiwan facility.
Captain Skippy

Post by Captain Skippy »

Yes I love mine. I have the CQI version but I have to admit I don’t carry it much. I generally carry my Shaman or Smock. When going out to dinner with my wife I do carry the Kapara and sneak it out of my pocket to cut a steak or whatever. Drives my wife crazy.
Don't Bring a gun to a knife fight!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Gtscotty wrote:

Sage 1
Subvert
Roc
Valloton
Pattadese
Schempp Bowie

If you add the frame locks (basically same thing) you can add a whole bunch more.

That's just Spyderco. I believe Gtscotty was generalizing when they said there's no shortage of liner locks out there. There's a whole bunch of other companies making them and have for a long time
True!

I should have been more precise: In Spydercos "main" mid to high end folders is a shortage of linerlocks imho.
Subvert, Roc,Valloton,Pattadese,Schempp Bowie are more niche knives and not really "mainstream" (meant positively) Spydies..
Even the Millie 2 will have a comp.lock, imho inferior to the great Millie "1" linerlock in this knife.
Anyway, all personal preference, but if for example Shaman and especially Caribbean came with a linerlock, I' d most likely own both (though now the great (linerlock) Tenacious LW in S35VN does the trick for me.)
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Gtscotty wrote:

Sage 1
Subvert
Roc
Valloton
Pattadese
Schempp Bowie

Precisely, everybody and their brother makes liner locks, Spyderco makes and has made plenty. The liner lock is a well known quantity that I don't really believe we need more of when better options (in my opinion) are available.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

This thread sold me. However, waiting for an upgraded steel. Hopefully I don't miss out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gtscotty wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:05 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Gtscotty wrote:
-----
Precisely, everybody and their brother makes liner locks, Spyderco makes and has made plenty. The liner lock is a well known quantity that I don't really believe we need more of when better options (in my opinion) are available.
Well, since this discussion was initiated by talking about an "outdoor-Kapara" in the Kapara-thread, I guess it is not too off topic to reply once more:

- Currently Spyderco does not make many linerlocks in their mid- to higher end, "main" models (think PM2-, Endura-, Native family, Manix and so on) - if you want to have something "above the budget line" AND a not too "niche" model, there are really few Spyderco choices (but some of course)

- The discussion reminds me remotely on such about serrations, or other features, steels....: Just cause "everybody and their brother" makes or uses them, does not mean that Spyderco should not do THEIR take on it!
Take serrations; There are horrible serrated blades out there, but SPYDERCOS version of it and how they implement "teeth" is great!
As is for example also is their perfect Millie linerlock, but not so some linerlocks of other brands

- You put it perfectly and and thoughtfully when you said "when better options" [in your opinion] are avialable" : It is all just personal preference and depends on how, where... one uses folders. There is no "better option" over a linerlock generally (as there is no generally over a comp.lock!), it all depends.
And talking about an "outdoor-Kapara": I´d recommend to everyone who has the current Kapara (slick handle, rather "tiny" comp.lock") to really try and use it in harsh conditions or create such deliberately for a test: Make your fingers cold and wet or greasy, make the handle wet or even a bit muddy also, or wear thicker gloves, and work with the knife and operate the particular Kapara comp.lock multiple times: Will it work?: Yes. But it will most likely be rather awkward and not too safe (especially concerning dropping the knife) for many.
A GOOD linerlock though has things to offer that no other lock has, especially concerning how natural it is to use (the hand remains in a very natural position) and how easy it is to operate for example with gloves (actually there are not too few posts that say exactly these things about the Millie).
Furthermore a linerlock just feels nice in hand, for me almost like a chamfering where the fingers sit, while the comp.lock cutout tends to create a hot spot over time.

To be clear: ALL lock types have to "offer someting other locktypes don´t" as I said above about the linerlock, and I am not at all against the comp.lock! I actually love its ingenious design and like it a lot on knives like the Sage 5!
I just think the great linerlocks Spyderco makes often times get not a fair chance by being tested in "real world conditions" to find out their advantages.

Anyway, for MY preferences a grippy FRN, linerlock Kapara (sticking with S30V would be perfectly fine) could really become a tough contender for my beloved Enduras (though before that the Kapara would also have to get rid of the deep carry clip and go to shallower carry).
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Should have been a flipper!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:05 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

-----
Well, since this discussion was initiated by talking about an "outdoor-Kapara" in the Kapara-thread, I guess it is not too off topic to reply once more:

- Currently Spyderco does not make many linerlocks in their mid- to higher end, "main" models (think PM2-, Endura-, Native family, Manix and so on) - if you want to have something "above the budget line" AND a not too "niche" model, there are really few Spyderco choices (but some of course)

- The discussion reminds me remotely on such about serrations, or other features, steels....: Just cause "everybody and their brother" makes or uses them, does not mean that Spyderco should not do THEIR take on it!
Take serrations; There are horrible serrated blades out there, but SPYDERCOS version of it and how they implement "teeth" is great!
As is for example also is their perfect Millie linerlock, but not so some linerlocks of other brands

- You put it perfectly and and thoughtfully when you said "when better options" [in your opinion] are avialable" : It is all just personal preference and depends on how, where... one uses folders. There is no "better option" over a linerlock generally (as there is no generally over a comp.lock!), it all depends.
And talking about an "outdoor-Kapara": I´d recommend to everyone who has the current Kapara (slick handle, rather "tiny" comp.lock") to really try and use it in harsh conditions or create such deliberately for a test: Make your fingers cold and wet or greasy, make the handle wet or even a bit muddy also, or wear thicker gloves, and work with the knife and operate the particular Kapara comp.lock multiple times: Will it work?: Yes. But it will most likely be rather awkward and not too safe (especially concerning dropping the knife) for many.
A GOOD linerlock though has things to offer that no other lock has, especially concerning how natural it is to use (the hand remains in a very natural position) and how easy it is to operate for example with gloves (actually there are not too few posts that say exactly these things about the Millie).
Furthermore a linerlock just feels nice in hand, for me almost like a chamfering where the fingers sit, while the comp.lock cutout tends to create a hot spot over time.

To be clear: ALL lock types have to "offer someting other locktypes don´t" as I said above about the linerlock, and I am not at all against the comp.lock! I actually love its ingenious design and like it a lot on knives like the Sage 5!
I just think the great linerlocks Spyderco makes often times get not a fair chance by being tested in "real world conditions" to find out their advantages.

Anyway, for MY preferences a grippy FRN, linerlock Kapara (sticking with S30V would be perfectly fine) could really become a tough contender for my beloved Enduras (though before that the Kapara would also have to get rid of the deep carry clip and go to shallower carry).
The fact that you see more liner locks offered in cheaper Spyderco's than more expensive models should probably be a clue to how the market largely views liner locks, as the budget lock option of choice. If I'm paying more, I'm usually looking for a better, safer lock, many companies are willing to deliver that on their higher end models including Spyderco. I've never had the safety and handling issues with comp locks that you seem to, but given your troubles it's probably a good idea to stick with other lock types.

I really didn't want to get into another pointless back and forth with you, your mind seems to be made up on everything. I just didn't want your minority opinion about dumping the comp lock from the excellent Kapara in favor of a budget lock option to be the only one repeated in these kinds of threads, in case someone who makes those decisions is listening.