How about a mini manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

How about a mini manix 2?

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I would love a scaled down version of the manix 2. Any one else?....
Red

Re: How about a mini manix 2?

Post by Red »

I like it. To me at least, the Native 5 feels similar to a Manix 2 ergonomically and is what got me started on my love for the Manix platform.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This has been brought up MANY times before. Some are for it, some are not. I find the Manix to be knife perfection as it is, why mess with perfection!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm in. Mini manix 2 lightweight with screw construction 😎
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This thread makes me miss Vivi again (like quite often), he would have said "the Manix 2 IS the Mini Manix already" :D

I am sure you are aware of that there already was a kind-of-Mini-Manix (backlock), though it was not more "mini" by a lot than the current Manix 2 ?

Generally I am with Rick, the Manix 2 IS perfection indeed (have quite some experience with 2 lightweights and could handle G10 models several times), I personally would not want it to be "shrinked".
But then: I´d say the same about the PM2, but the Para 3 still got to be a huge success. So maybe a Mini Manix would work?

It´d be interesting which way they´d go when designing such a Mini Manix:

1.) Keep the overall shape of the Manix 2, including that "hook" at the rear end of the handle: Somewhat larger hands could not get a good four finger grip behind the choil on a Mini version anymore, but the knife would look more along the lines of a Manix 2. That´s what was done with Para 3/PM2.

2.) Keep the for me great aspect of the Manix 2, that it offers TWO perfect four finger grips for most hand sizes (choked up and behind the choil): That would mean, that a Mini Manix would have to get rid of that grip area restricting "hook" at the rear end but would have to flare out like for example Sage and Chap do. Would look less like a "true Manix" then though.

Anyway, what I´d love in a Mini Manix: Just that it would be another CBBL knife! I´d really like to see more of those generally, regardless in which shape, form or model. It is a great lock imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:35 am

Anyway, what I´d love in a Mini Manix: Just that it would be another CBBL knife! I´d really like to see more of those generally, regardless in which shape, form or model. It is a great lock imho.
Yes. This! I like the idea of a smaller manix, but mostly I want the cbbl on more knives, especially on one in the 3-inch range, the size of a para3.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Carry around the Manix XL for a week, then carry the standard Manix. It will feel like a mini toy in your hand!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:31 am
Carry around the Manix XL for a week, then carry the standard Manix. It will feel like a mini toy in your hand!
When I first got a Manix, it felt like a big knife. Same with the pm2. And then I got a Shaman, and recently a Millie...now the Manix and pm2s feel like the "normal" sized knives!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:10 am
mostly I want the cbbl on more knives,

^^^That

I'll admit to using a couple back locks, but mostly I carry CBBL's.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

FWIW, in terms of length, the original Manix (midlock) = the Manix2 XL (CBBL) and the smaller original Manix (“mini” midlock) = Manix2.

You could regard (as do I, when I’m being silly) the Native5 as a smaller version of the smaller original Manix (leaving aside the swedge). If you have big hands (as do I), you might prefer the midlock to the CBBL.

I don’t hunger for a mini Manix2.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:29 am
This has been brought up MANY times before. Some are for it, some are not. I find the Manix to be knife perfection as it is, why mess with perfection!
...for when we need perfection in a smaller platform! A Manix at my job would be a big problem for HR. Even a Delica can be problematic.

At work my options are the Dragonfly and the Lil Native and I love both enough to own multiples of each.

A Lil Manix certainly would be a big hit on the market.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SubMicron wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:56 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
...for when we need perfection in a smaller platform! A Manix at my job would be a big problem for HR. Even a Delica can be problematic.

At work my options are the Dragonfly and the Lil Native and I love both enough to own multiples of each.

I hear you, but the question is: Would it still be perfection in the exact same, just smaller form? I don´t say it could not be, but it also does not have to be necesarely.

For me the closest to a ergonomicwise still great and versatile Mini Manix 2 is the Sage 2 (see pic below). Very similar blade and even handle shape, just without "hook" at the rear end of the handle so that bigger hands still would get a good grip behind the choil on a "shrunken Manix".
Just my 2c of course!
(EDIT: Added a Manix pic for comparison)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

No!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
James Y

Post by James Y »

If it would serve others’ purposes, especially for legal issues, it would be OK.

My favorite Spyderco of all is the G10, FFG, DLC Manix 2. It’s perfect for me. It’s the only Manix model I need. I have zero interest in the lightweight version(s), and would have no use for a mini, myself.

Jim
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:06 am
SubMicron wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:56 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I hear you, but the question is: Would it still be perfection in the exact same, just smaller form? I don´t say it could not be, but it also does not have to be necesarely.

For me the closest to a ergonomicwise still great and versatile Mini Manix 2 is the Sage 2 (see pic below). Very similar blade and even handle shape, just without "hook" at the rear end of the handle so that bigger hands still would get a good grip behind the choil on a "shrunken Manix".
Just my 2c of course!
(EDIT: Added a Manix pic for comparison)

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this thread - what about the Sage 2 with a bolt lock? I just wish those were easier to come byn nowadays. Don't get me wrong - I love my Sage 5 comp lock but I'd really like to see the bolt lock come back into production.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Hey, I just got a chop commission for a Manix2 coming in soon, so I'll be posting pics of a mini Manix next week. I'll be studying this thread for different ideas of where to take it...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DigDug72 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 pm
Hey, I just got a chop commission for a Manix2 coming in soon, so I'll be posting pics of a mini Manix next week. I'll be studying this thread for different ideas of where to take it...

Very cool, looking forward to the pics! :)

Since it is a "chopping job" and you certainly will (have to) shorten the handle, "your" Mini Manix most certainly will be more like "version 2" (which I personally prefer) in my previous posts, so at the rear end more Sage-/Chap-like:Flared out, offering more grip area for larger hands, and without the typical "Manix hook" at the handle end (since when chopping of the rear end, you can´t actually then add a new "hook" to the shortened version)
attila

Post by attila »

YES!

Really, I just want more variety of knives with the CBBL. Make them smaller and slimmer than the Manix. Also make some Manix-sized or larger, but keep them proportionately slimmer.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Manix 2 is good as is, IMO. I don't think you can shrink the handle and keep the ergos close to Manix 2. I have large hand and the grip area is perfect for me. If it was smaller, it would turn into you-have-to-use-the-choil in order to get a grip knife (like a Chaparral, or even a Native 5).

I would like to see more CBBL knives, but with blade length around 3.5 - 4 inches
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 am
Very cool, looking forward to the pics! :)

Since it is a "chopping job" and you certainly will (have to) shorten the handle, "your" Mini Manix most certainly will be more like "version 2" (which I personally prefer) in my previous posts, so at the rear end more Sage-/Chap-like:Flared out, offering more grip area for larger hands, and without the typical "Manix hook" at the handle end (since when chopping of the rear end, you can´t actually then add a new "hook" to the shortened version)
Yep, definitely! Thanks man, you definitely gave me a lot to think about before jumping into this chop - I'll keep ya posted.