An Original Two-Screw Worker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The CoPilot

An Original Two-Screw Worker

Post by The CoPilot »

Here's one that you don't see everyday. I thought I would post this one up again since it has been quite a few years since it has seen the light, and I happened to have it with me today.

This is an original two-screw Spyderco Worker. Sal refers to these as the "1st Generation" Workers, and likely this example came from the first run in 1981. It was formerly owned by Paul Beretta (aka "The Deacon") who very kindly sold it to me many years ago now. It remains the centerpiece of my Spyderco collection.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
Here is a thread with pics from when Paul owned it: viewtopic.php?t=27059
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: An Original Two-Screw Worker

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice. That is a really thin knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

One old 2screw and the recent sprint run in G10.
The G10 really helps.

While we're at it, here's an old price list.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really love how "raw" and simple these early knives were.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

shunsui wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 am
Love seeing that 1982 Price list.

The 1001R and 1001L "Clipit" lock back folding knives were the knives that came to be known as the Worker. Back then they were the only knives in the Spyderco lineup so just calling them "Clipits" sufficed.
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

It feels good to hear this Worker found a good home! I checked also the link to Pauls thread and it was a nice reading and chance to meet all the old members again. Unfortunately many of them are no longer active in the forums ....
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

@shunsui Thanks so much for posting the old price sheet! I dimly recall paying around $39 but wasn't sure if my memory was correct. Thanks for confirming.

Back then it seemed more people called it the "Clip-it". Here's a pic of my Three-Screw Clip-it which I purchased around the end of 1981 or early 1982. About 1mm of the needle-like tip snapped off when I was doing something stupid. Two decades later Tom Krein re-profiled the edge giving it a new stronger tip. Then about 10 years ago I refinished the knife to make look new again. Ah memories, this is the knife that started it all for me. It's been places :)
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Mako109 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:40 am
This is an interesting example. Are both handle scales of the same thickness? As I recall, the earliest (Gen 1) had the two-screw clip and both scales were thin. The Gen 2 knives had one thin scale and a thicker scale on the side with the clip (and I believe it was a 3-screw clip. Gen 3 had two thicker scales and the 3-screw clip. This knife has a three-screw clip, but the markings on the clip are the "U.S. AND FOREIGN PATS."
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

The CoPilot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:40 am
This is an interesting example. Are both handle scales of the same thickness? As I recall, the earliest (Gen 1) had the two-screw clip and both scales were thin. The Gen 2 knives had one thin scale and a thicker scale on the side with the clip (and I believe it was a 3-screw clip. Gen 3 had two thicker scales and the 3-screw clip. This knife has a three-screw clip, but the markings on the clip are the "U.S. AND FOREIGN PATS."
The clip side on mine is clearly thicker so must be a Gen 2. Hah, learn something new everyday :) The clip is original.
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Mako109 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:54 pm
The clip side on mine is clearly thicker so must be a Gen 2. Hah, learn something new everyday :) The clip is original.
That makes perfect sense and explains why the clip has the earlier markings. Those workers with the uneven scales (one thin and one thin) are very cool because they show the transition in the design. If I recall correctly, Sal said the move to thicker scales (particularly on the clip side) was to give the clip screws some more "meat" to fasten into. Yours is a beautiful example and the blade reprofiling by Mr. Krein is well-done as usual.
Last edited by The CoPilot on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

FYI,

Gail and I had to hock our house to cover the cost of the first run of the Clipit knife, which most said would fail in the marketplace. Talk about "risk" We sold our knives along with our Sharpeners at consumer shows and fairs. It was many years before any stores or dealers ( Brick and mortar ) would try our knives in their stores,

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

these knives are like jazz. i'm definitely not into it, but i'm glad it existed and influenced everything i love now.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Boy oh boy, that’s slim
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:16 pm
FYI,

Gail and I had to hock our house to cover the cost of the first run of the Clipit knife, which most said would fail in the marketplace. Talk about "risk" We sold our knives along with our Sharpeners at consumer shows and fairs. It was many years before any stores or dealers ( Brick and mortar ) would try our knives in their stores,

sal

Sal:

Thank you for sharing that story! You and Gail were very brave to put everything on the line. But you believed in the products and time has proven you right. I know it was pretty dicey for awhile, though, in those early days. There were definitively no guarantees of success, but we are grateful that you gambled!

Regards,
Matt (The Copilot)
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Hey Sal:

Do you recall if you ever set up a booth at the Nebraska State Fair in Lincoln during those early years?

Matt
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly! Pure function. I really wish I who back and grab one of these guys.
Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:46 am
I really love how "raw" and simple these early knives were.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

The CoPilot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:54 pm
That makes perfect sense and explains why the clip has the earlier markings. Those workers with the uneven scales (one thin and one think) are very cool because they show the transition in the design. If I recall correctly, Sal said the move to thicker scales (particularly on the clip side) was to give the clip screws some more "meat" to fasten into. Yours is a beautiful example and the blade reprofiling by Mr. Krein is well-done as usual.
Thank you CoPilot. You've got a real gem too. I'd say it's a keeper ;)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

sal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:16 pm
FYI,

sal
Dear Sal,

Thank you and Gail for hocking your house to make this knife for me. You shouldn't have, but I'm glad you did. I think several hundred thousand of others (at least) are glad too :)

Warm regards,
Mako109
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

We worked the Nebraska State Fair a few times. I remember one year we had a snow storm the day before were to leave for Lincoln. We live in the high country and we get oddball snow storms. I believe it was 1982. I was pulling neighbors out of the snow and lost the prototype to the Mariner model. I came back after the fair and went to the area every day as the snow melted and on the fourth day, I found the Mariner sticking our of the snow.

sal
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

What a memory, Sal! Great story!

Growing up in Lincoln I often went to the fair. I would have been pretty young in 1982 (7 years old). Wish I could say I had memories of seeing a guy and his wife at the Nebraska State Fair selling sharpeners and knives with a hole in the blade. Sadly, I was probably more interested in the carnival rides or the fish display at that age.

If you and Gail ever find yourselves in Lincoln again in the future I hope you will look me up. I’m the Preservation Architect at the State Capitol building and would love to give you guys a personal “behind the scenes” tour of the building. Consider that a standing invitation.

Matt Hansen
Lincoln, Nebraska
Last edited by The CoPilot on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.