Sharpmaker ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Signalman1

Sharpmaker ?

Post by Signalman1 »

Hey guys I need to get one where would you suggest I get one from...do they ever go on sale somewhere or are they the same price everywhere?

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
jpm2

Re: Sharpmaker ?

Post by jpm2 »

About $130 with the diamond rods everywhere I’ve seen.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Patience Signalman. You'll have one soon
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ric

Post by Ric »

You can buy one used.
Sometimes there are warehouse deals @ amazon.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Here in Europe the price is and stays about the same everywhere.

Signalman, I don´t have anything at all about people wanting to save some money, but in this case I´d really suggest: Don´t wait. Just get one. You´ll have it forever, and benefit from it from the first day on you get it.
It is great for maintaining an edge (for real reprofiling or severe repairing I´d suggest getting CBN rods (I have those, can only recommend them) or diamond rods (never tried them, guess they are equally good)).
And: It opens the door to the world of spyderedged knives... ;) (There certainly are other ways to sharpen serrations, but the Sharpmaker is perfectly suited for that imo).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Just got one recently from Coutellerie Tourangelle for 77€, which is a very good price for Spyderco in Europe
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

When you get one, get the diamond or cbn rods to go with it. Watch the included video as well! Lots of good information and history there as well as tips on using the sharpmaker.

I feel the sharpmaker should come with diamond or cbn rods and medium. I stop at medium anyway (now a bench stone since I freehand now!) but it makes a great edge!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

Well thanks guys I now have one coming. Thanks for all your advice. :D

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Here locally in the Kansas City, MO area we have a Bass Pro and a Cabelas both ( big sporting stores). And both of these stores sell the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker. However to get the extra stones you will probably have to go to one of the internet knife dealers. I recommend New Graham. I've recently replaced some stones on my oldest 204 Sharpmaker and they had everything in stock at a decent price.

I bet you can get the entire package i.e. the Ultra-Fine Stones, The Diamond stones and the CBN stones all at New Graham. It's an investment you won't regret at all. There are so many videos on youtube and the one that Sal & Co. did on the video that comes with the Sharpmaker is also a good one to watch before using.

Also the first few times you attempt to use it I would start out by using some cheap household kitchen knives or any other knife that doesn't have a high value before using it on a high end Spyder. Also get some type of clamping tool so you can clamp it to a bench to where you have your hands free. it improved my results a lot when I did that.