Pacific Salt vs Pacific Salt 2 - differences and similarities (with pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
emanuel

Pacific Salt vs Pacific Salt 2 - differences and similarities (with pics)

Post by emanuel »

I've decided to make this post as I couldn't find any proper comparison before purchasing the Pac Salt 2 except a few videos on Youtube where the angles were all off and it was impossible to make a meaningful opinion on the differences and similarities, should I upgrade, is it an upgrade, etc., and I didn't have an Endura 4 around to help either.

So let's start. First thing I noticed just by looking at them is that the Pac Salt 2 seems to be narrower when viewed from the top, but that's misleading. Both measure the same when closed, it has to do with Pac Salt 2 having a narrower handle overall, from the rear side all the way to the "finger guard" area.

That being said, the Pac Salt 2 handle seems to be around 1mm THICKER than the Pac Salt 1 in the side-to-side cross-section.

Overall size is pretty much the same, the narrower handle is a bit more visible in these pictures. Also, the back-lock button is situated a bit further back, so if you have medium to small hands, you'll have to reposition your hand slightly back in order to engage the button with your thumb and be able to catch the ricasso of the blade with your pointing finger as you flick it closed, move that's not needed on the old Endura 3 handle design.

The different button position can be seen easier here, and what I believe to be titanium carbonitride coated back-lock bolt on the Pac Salt 2, while Pac Salt 1 is uncoated (only purpose I presume is visual, I like the look of black and yellow everything on the handle). Another thing I noticed was the better fit and finish overall on Pac Salt 2 compared with the first iteration. When I received the Pac Salt 1, I had to polish the spine of the blade as it was ground perpendicularly at a slight uneven angle from one side to another. Also, the round hole's interior was having the same issue. A dremel fixed it though and it wasn't a big problem at the time since it was a heavy user so I didn't bother to complain about it. No such issue with Pac Salt 2, everything is PERFECTLY fit on it. (Maybe I was just unlucky with my Pac Salt 1 purchase in that regard)

Since the blade is identical, now to most important part, the feel in hand. My hands are medium-large with relatively thin fingers, and from the moment I took the Pac Salt 2 in hand, I could instantly feel that the handle was narrower. Another thing I noticed was the handle "guard" being higher by about 2mm, and it definitely feels more secure in a thrust push/cut (when stabbing a fish in the brain for example).

Now the biggest difference, the back end of the handle. Honestly, if you have medium or small hands, I really believe the older Endura 3 handle ergonomics fit your hand better, and provide a superior grip in that finger cutout. If you have large or extra large hands, I think the Endura 4 handle on the Pac Salt 2 will fit better because your pinky won't be bothered by the bulge at the end of the handle on the first iteration Pac Salt (if that's an issue to begin with).

Another important mention here is that the Pac Salt 2 feels more... stiff. Less flex overall in the handle and joint if that makes sense. It feel as if its stronger and has a higher end construction than the first (which is very good in its own right btw, this knife wasn't made out of rubber before :D)

If I forgot anything I'll edit it in here, I also haven't used it much yet just playing around and taking apart a chicken real quick, I just got the knife a few hours ago, but I'll put it through its paces and if there's anything different compared to Pac Salt 1 (like different hotspots or some other issue, or something being way better that I missed and I'll only notice on use, I'll also put it in). At the moment, I honestly don't know yet which one I like more, I'm still a bit biased towards the Endura 3 handle but I can feel how the extra thickness of the Endura 4/Pac Salt 2 handle feels my palm a bit better. Time will tell. Thanks for reading.

Edit 1: Right click the images and select "Open link in New Tab" to be able to see zoomed-in details. The zoom button on the page when regularly clicking them gives an "undefined" error message for whatever reason.
Edit 2: Wife feedback: She said she likes Pac Salt 1 handle feel more, her hands are slightly smaller than mine.
Last edited by emanuel on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
steelcity16

Re: Pacific Salt vs Pacific Salt 2 - differences and similarities

Post by steelcity16 »

emanuel wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:40 am

Another important mention here is that the Pac Salt 2 feels more... stiff. Less flex overall in the handle and joint if that makes sense. It feel as if its stronger and has a higher end construction than the first (which is very good in its own right btw, this knife wasn't made out of rubber before :D)

Great write up! This was the biggest difference for me as well. Definitely feels a lot less flexy and a higher end construction as you said. It feels rock solid with no flex or blade play and the new handle is preferable for me in ergonomics as well as the great bidirectional texturing. I also love how the blacked out version has fully blacked out hardware down to the screws. The addition of Sal's makers mark was also awesome and looks great on the TiCN version. The whole package just feels and looks much better than the original. It is a very worthy successor for sure. I have sold all of my Pacific Salt 1s and will be getting a few more of the 2's in the future. The Pacific Salt has always been a top 3 Spyderco for me and this solidifies its place.

Now, I would LOVE to see a production version of a Spyderhawk 2 Salt featuring the same upgrades. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I forgot about the texturing! You are right, the bidirectional texturing feels way grippier than the old square pattern used on Pac Salt 1. I also agree with you regarding the black blade, it looks great, but I like the yellow handles since they're very visible to me and I don't want to lose my knife in grass or water and sadly there's no variant of black blade-yellow handle available atm. How good is TiCN compared to DLC? I'm curious if it's influenced by the overall softer H1 steel and it scratches off way too quickly with use.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Great write-up!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Great overview emanuel!
Thanks for the great pics and observations!
I have several Pac1's so don't really need a Pac2 but am an Endura4 fan as well so who knows? ;)
benben

Post by benben »

Great pics and write up, thank you! I know this is a comparison thread but I'd like to give my opinion on my Pacific Salt.....had I bought it five years ago, I feel pretty sure I wouldn't own 30 Spyderco knives today!
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

benben wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:23 am
Great pics and write up, thank you! I know this is a comparison thread but I'd like to give my opinion on my Pacific Salt.....had I bought it five years ago, I feel pretty sure I wouldn't own 30 Spyderco knives today!
Thanks all. I agree with you benben, every time I have a hard time picking a folder for any task, if in doubt I just get the Pacific Salt in SE and don't think twice about it. There's nothing this knife can't handle, and being so easy to resharpen coupled with H1's incredible toughness, I can hand it over to friends for a quick use, something that would cringe me out with any other knife :D
ladybug93

Re: Pacific Salt vs Pacific Salt 2 - differences and similarities (with pics)

Post by ladybug93 »

thanks for this comparison!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cabfrank

Re: Pacific Salt vs Pacific Salt 2 - differences and similarities (with pics)

Post by cabfrank »

Excellent, thanks. The Pac Salt 1 is one of my all time favorite knives, and everything I read makes me believe the 2 will absolutely be as good.