Your Favorite "Obscure" Spyderco model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Your Favorite "Obscure" Spyderco model?

Post by JD Spydo »

Now I realize that there are a lot of relatively new members here on the Forum who have limited knowledge of many of the older Spyderco models. But even among those guys and gals there are still quite a few of you that admire many of the older and largely unheard of Spyderco models. Some of the older models have become very rare and rather obscure and to a large degree to the point to where many of these older/obscure models have been forgotten.. It's gotten to the point to where only a small percentage of Spyderco fans are aware of them.

Three of the most obscure and maybe forgotten models I really like are the "SPUR", The Spyker and The Merlin. I would like to know which forgotten, overlooked and obscure Spyderco models that many of you all like the best. The only big qualification is that it has to have the official Spyderco name on it.

OK let us know which of these models you all like the best. Also there are some variants of the more popular models that have become extremely rare. And after listing these "obscure" models please let us know if you still have them in your collection or even use them by the way?
GarageBoy

Re: Your Favorite "Obscure" Spyderco model?

Post by GarageBoy »

Poliwog is very cool to me

I never understood why the dallara 3 sold so poorly
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Ramco Laguiole always seemed like quite an unusual Spyderco model.

A French traditional knife pattern in modern materials, with a Spyderedge option. No Spydiehole.

I guess it could be seen as the granddaddy of the Ethnic folder line.

I don't have one, but I'd certainly be intrigued to check one out if I ever came across one.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... o_Laguiole

JD, I don't believe that the knives themselves had Spyderco branding on them, but Spydiewiki claims that the boxes did, so that again makes them very unusual.
Last edited by Cambertree on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Micro Dyad.

I had one several years back, but it was too expensive to justify tossing it in my pocket. I was able to get a new one recently and I've been carrying mine daily, ever since.

My favorite micro knife used to be an SE Jester, but I lost it. (Thrown out on Xmas with the wrapping paper, I think.) The Micro Dyad's SE blade is almost a carbon copy of the Jester I had AND it has the added utility of a very thin and pointy PE blade(perfect splinterpicker).

That, combined with a bit of heft and beautiful bone handles, have solidified it's spot in my safe.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

(Oops, I hit quote instead of edit.)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Des Horn. :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I've always been drawn to the Ocelot. I'd pick up a sprint in Cruwear for sure! I think it would look super cool with DLC liners and non-black G10 scales.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don't know if it counts as obscure, but the Meerkat is just a nice little chunky handle/small blade combo with a funky lock. It's a great "little big knife" for enthusiasts.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Autonomy 2 is by far my favorite knife of any brand and by extension, my favorite Spyderco knife.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

1. Ed Schempp's Khukuri - odd shape for folder and somethings gotta be done about that HUUUGE ricasso. Otherwise it's pure genius.

2. Spydersaw - I still pair it with something like a Shaman, PM2 or Military when out in the woods.
Last edited by Mako109 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Probably not too obscure, but I just came across this Lava while cleaning out my cabinet:

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I don't know much about the older folders/discontinued models, but the Matriarch 2 SE is pretty wild to me and anybody that I've shown it to.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Equilibrium. Exemplifies Ed Schempp's "looks odd, but oddly functional" aesthetic.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:20 pm
Probably not too obscure, but I just came across this Lava while cleaning out my cabinet:

That is one I've always wanted to see bolstered and inlaid.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:52 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:20 pm
That is one I've always wanted to see bolstered and inlaid.
Yeah, that would be sweet. It has screw-together construction, so new scales would certainly be doable. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t know if they’re obscure models, but I do have a Meerkat in 440C, a Jess Horn lightweight, and a Michael Walker lightweight, all long-discontinued models. The Meerkat is nice; so is the Jess Horn. The Michael Walker LWT could have been a good model, but it feels flimsy in execution.

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd say the Kris is pretty obscure and I definitely use it. Carrying it today. I find it fits my hand pretty well and is very functional with the undulated edge. The linen micarta and ergonomics provide a good balance of grip and comfort. I can choke up on it with the forward choil area and the last undulation on the top of the blade. I can put my thumb on top of the first undulation and choke up that way too. It also looks good to me. Has a bit of a refined and gentlemanly look to it.

samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:23 am
The Ramco Laguiole always seemed like quite an unusual Spyderco model.

A French traditional knife pattern in modern materials, with a Spyderedge option. No Spydiehole.

I guess it could be seen as the granddaddy of the Ethnic folder line.

I don't have one, but I'd certainly be intrigued to check one out if I ever came across one.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... o_Laguiole

JD, I don't believe that the knives themselves had Spyderco branding on them, but Spydiewiki claims that the boxes did, so that again makes them very unusual.
I think the Ramco Laguiole is my Grail knife. I collect Spydercos (obviously) and Laguioles. I've actually been to Thiers where a lot of the handmade Laguioles workshops are and watched old french men making Laguioles. I would love to get my hands on the Ramco Laguiole. Such a cool part of Spyderco history! And such a beautiful knife!!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 am
I've always been drawn to the Ocelot. I'd pick up a sprint in Cruwear for sure! I think it would look super cool with DLC liners and non-black G10 scales.
Looks like an early Stretch. I love the paw prints!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Plain edge Ocelot is very cool. There seem to have been a lot more combo edges made.

I have one plain edge.