Your Favorite "Obscure" Spyderco model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdblue

Re: Your Favorite "Obscure" Spyderco model?

Post by bdblue »

I used to think the Manix 2 was somewhat obscure but these days it has become very popular. Similarly the Bradley folder 1. Other models that I like and think are still obscure- Tatanka and Starmate.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dunno about obscure but I'm really fond of my Nilakka. I'm still holding out hope that they'll do one in a non stainless steel someday.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Perrin PPT is my most favorite knife of all time.
-Nick :bug-red
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

samdasnake wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:54 pm
I think the Ramco Laguiole is my Grail knife. I collect Spydercos (obviously) and Laguioles. I've actually been to Thiers where a lot of the handmade Laguioles workshops are and watched old french men making Laguioles. I would love to get my hands on the Ramco Laguiole. Such a cool part of Spyderco history! And such a beautiful knife!!!
It’s certainly a fascinating and beautiful rendition of a classic pattern.

I love that the attention to detail even extended to giving the iconic ‘bee’ on the backspring a Spydie Bug-like makeover. You’d know better than me, but I believe the ‘bee’ is actually a horsefly?

The handle shape seems to be very old, and turns up in a lot of regional European working pocketknife patterns. I’d guess that it may have originated from the curved, tapering shape of cattle horn tips which were originally used for handles.

I always enjoy looking at Jean-Jacques Perret’s L’art Du Coutelier, even though I can’t read French. What a treasure trove of early pocketknife history! Bernard Levine has translated some sections on his website:

http://www.knife-expert.com/links.htm#perret

That’s very cool that you’ve been to Thiers and seen traditional couteliers at work.

I try to learn more about edged tool history and culture when I travel too. I’ve visited knifemakers and bladesmiths in Seki, Sanjo, Sakai, Takefu, Kyoto and Sheffield, but I’ve yet to make it to Thiers and Solingen.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Ulize
Ayoob
SuperHawk
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Vrango.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Scorpius.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Breeden Captain. Super weird and super awesome. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Whachaw

Post by Whachaw »

Have to go with GarageBoy and say my favourite is the Poliwog. I have one that I mainly carry around the house for fear of losing it. It's just so weird and when you hold and use it, makes so much sense.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:44 am
I don't know if it counts as obscure, but the Meerkat is just a nice little chunky handle/small blade combo with a funky lock. It's a great "little big knife" for enthusiasts.
Glad you brought up the Meerkat Zhyla>> because there is an obscure version of the Meerkat. Because when the model made it's maiden voyage out of the Great Spyder Factory the first run of them were made at the GOLDEN, CO plant and were made with 440C steel. The most of them were made in Japan with AUS-6 the first time around. Those GOLDEN, CO Meerkat models are very rare and I haven't seen one in at least 5 years now.

I wouldn't mind one as a keychain knife if they would use a supersteel blade and a newer/better handle.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 pm
I dunno about obscure but I'm really fond of my Nilakka. I'm still holding out hope that they'll do one in a non stainless steel someday.
Hey EVIL wasn't there also a "Lil Nilakka"? I seem to remember a smaller version but it wasn't around very long I don't think. The little version to me would wear the "obscure" label.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 pm
Ulize
Ayoob
SuperHawk
3 excellent picks IMO!!! :cool: But I want all 3 in SE thank you very much. especially that ULIZE. Why they never made the Superhawk in SE is still a mystery I can't figure for the life of me :confused:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:20 pm
Probably not too obscure, but I just came across this Lava while cleaning out my cabinet:
Oh the LAVA!! a great design by forum member Chad Los Banos i.e. Daywalker. I loved everything that Chad designed. I haven't heard much of the Lava model in quite a while. I like the G-10 version better than the stainless in that model.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:03 am
The Breeden Captain. Super weird and super awesome. :)
I want to see a serrated version of the Captain and his Breeden RESCUE as well. Could not understand why neither one were ever in SE :confused: . Those two models would have sold considerably more in SE I'm certain of it. The Captain has kind of become an obscure model. You just don't hear much about it anymore.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I don't know that they're "obscure" per se, but definitely an older/hard to find model nowadays.. the Lil Temperance 1 & 2.. I find them both to be really awesome-looking. I don't have either model.. and probably never will because I can't justify paying some of the crazy prices you find them at these days.. but I would love to own one or both of them some day..

I do have the Lil Temp 3, which I really like a lot. It will have to hold me over! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Slightly off-topic maybe? I always thought the R and the ATR would be ideal LW models but they were never popular enough I guess. They look great on paper, but I never found them to be that compelling.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:29 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:20 pm
Probably not too obscure, but I just came across this Lava while cleaning out my cabinet:
Oh the LAVA!! a great design by forum member Chad Los Banos i.e. Daywalker. I loved everything that Chad designed. I haven't heard much of the Lava model in quite a while. I like the G-10 version better than the stainless in that model.
Me too, JD. Nothing against the original SS version, but G-10 isn’t as likely to get scratched up and this version is also screw-together construction, which allows for easy scale mods (if one were so inclined :D )
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

C30 Remote Release

I picked this one up in summer 1998 in Taos, NM while at undergrad geology fieldcamp. Good times! It lives in my archery tool box, it’s SE teeth are perfect for scraping old glue off arrows when I refletch.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:25 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 pm
Hey EVIL wasn't there also a "Lil Nilakka"? I seem to remember a smaller version but it wasn't around very long I don't think. The little version to me would wear the "obscure" label.

I believe that was the first Flash Batch wasn't it? I definitely prefer the larger sized one. In fact I'd even like to see a bigger version someday with a 3.75 inch blade. That would be a really nice slicer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:26 am
JMM wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 pm
Ulize
Ayoob
SuperHawk
3 excellent picks IMO!!! :cool: But I want all 3 in SE thank you very much. especially that ULIZE. Why they never made the Superhawk in SE is still a mystery I can't figure for the life of me :confused:
I'm with you all the way on that... I'd actually like to see all 3 models redone in a tool steel like 4v, rex45, or k390 and offered in SE & PE... I'd buy every flavour offered! ;)

FYI, this morning I landed a NIB Stretch (v1) w/Black FRN, in VG-10 full SE/SpyderEdge, I can't wait for it to arrive! Based on everything I've seen/read it should be a beast!