The Ladybug is a full size knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

The Ladybug is a full size knife

Post by SG89 »

:D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Enactive

Re: The Ladybug is a full size knife

Post by Enactive »

Thanks. This is a great reminder about size, fit and relativity.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've been carrying a Ladybug for a while starting with the pakkawood and now the K390. It seems like a small difference, but the added girth of the Manbug makes it so much easier for me to manipulate with XL hands. Hopefully I'll have a pakkawood and K390 version of it as well soon :)

Did a wharnie version of either ever get any traction? I like the pointier tip of the ladybug and think a wharnie would be even better in this size package.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:10 pm
I've been carrying a Ladybug for a while starting with the pakkawood and now the K390. It seems like a small difference, but the added girth of the Manbug makes it so much easier for me to manipulate with XL hands. Hopefully I'll have a pakkawood and K390 version of it as well soon :)

Did a wharnie version of either ever get any traction? I like the pointier tip of the ladybug and think a wharnie would be even better in this size package.
A new Jester would rock. I think that's the blade shape i'd favor on a bug handle. :cool:
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:53 pm

I didn't know there was Police 4 with a yellow handle :D
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Lol, not even close for me :)

Nate

Post by Nate »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:18 pm
A new Jester would rock. I think that's the blade shape i'd favor on a bug handle. :cool:

^Everyone listen to Enactive.

Was fortunate enough to track down a sprint g10 Jester earlier this year and it's a brilliant little knife. Really hope Spyderco brings out more Jester variants in the future.
:spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Enactive wrote:
Has anyone ever explained why the Jester was disco’d. I wish I had been ready for small Spydies before it went away.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Ladybug fits my mits surprisingly well. I really only get two fingers on it but the grooves line up pretty close.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Same! Although it's definitely more comfy with three fingers. :p

SG, it's really nice that you and I have similarly sized hands! It's always good to hear your impressions on ergos, fit, etc., knowing they'll probably be close to my own.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

abbazaba wrote:
I like the pointier tip of the ladybug and think a wharnie would be even better in this size package.
I agree. A Wharnie would rock. Kind of like the McBee idea in FRN/bug format.

I’ve had a Ladybug, but not a Manbug yet. I was always impressed with the Jazz video on the Manbug’s capability. I’ve been thinking now is the time to try with K390.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Red

Post by Red »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Ha, nice 👍!
I have a little Dragonfly that I love.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Nate wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm
Enactive wrote:

^Everyone listen to Enactive.

Was fortunate enough to track down a sprint g10 Jester earlier this year and it's a brilliant little knife. Really hope Spyderco brings out more Jester variants in the future.

YES for some Jester sprints and exclusives!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

abbazaba wrote:

The wharncliffe blade totally changed the Dragonfly for me so it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Ladybug in my mind.
/ David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Spydergirl88 wrote:

WOW! It appears to fit the hand so nicely. Where did you EVER find a Ladybug XL?

:eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So I saw my wife's pink Ladybug and I got curious, turns out she gets a full grip too.

I've been pretty vocal about not liking some handle designs like the Delica/Endura for the grip points that don't match my finger size, but it's kind of eye opening when you really think about the full range of hand sizes that Spyderco are trying to accommodate. It's inevitable that not everyone will fit every handle. Then again, this is a great argument for doing away with finger grooves completely....hmmm...
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David, It's always a design challenge to fit as many hands as possible. Lately, I've bee reducing or doing away with "points" in favor of curves. ( Stretch - Rock Jumper ) Control of the blade is a critical part of designing a knife that will probably be sharp enough to get hurt if control is not there.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:59 pm
Hi David, It's always a design challenge to fit as many hands as possible. Lately, I've bee reducing or doing away with "points" in favor of curves. ( Stretch - Rock Jumper ) Control of the blade is a critical part of designing a knife that will probably be sharp enough to get hurt if control is not there.

sal

Seems like in most cases it's pretty safe to add a single index finger choil/groove, as long as the rest of the knife is freely "curved" after that. The problem I have (and I think the problem you get with trying to cater to different hand sizes in general) is when there are more than one point to deal with, then you have to deal with the spacing of the points and that's where the problems come in.

I'm pretty excited for the Rock Jumper. It may be the answer to all my "Delica wishes".
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:59 pm

sal
this is wonderful news. the rock jumper looks like a win to me too, while the delica just doesn’t agree with my hand. it’s not uncomfortable to hold a delica, but i prefer designs that are more comfortable. the manix 2 and native are great examples. the choil doesn’t bother me, but the swell after the choil makes for an insanely comfortable grip.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That Ladybug rocks. I used to think it was too small and then I ended up in the hospital several times last year. I had a Dragonfly in my pajama pants and was glad of it. I bought a Ladybug Hawkbill to keep in my pajamas so if something does happen again I have a useable knife with me. I am now a firm believer of having a small knife in pajamas at all times after my experiences.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050