Your Personal Collection?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Your Personal Collection?

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just curious, what makes up you guys' personal collections? By that I mean, the ones you'll never sell.
Which ones will be passed on to your kids?

Here's mine(so far):

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mushroom

Re: Your Personal Collection?

Post by Mushroom »

All of them. :D

But seriously, I really have no plans to sell any. For the most part, once they're in my collection that is where they stay!
-Nick :bug-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Probably everything in the Special and Sentimental part of my signature.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

There's times when i think of thinning the herd, but it's hard.. One thing's for sure though, my "families" of knives i will keep until i can't live off my pension anymore :)
(Families, such as all Kopas, all Jess Horn etc.)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

My knives are precious and don't get sold, but the Memorabilia and Ephemera are even more so. I find myself actively chasing Memorabilia to feature on my website far more lately.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

That's interesting. With my collection, "everything's for sale". But, I have my personal collection of things that are special or heirloom pieces. Those are untouchable.

For the vast majority, if I don't like it, it gets sold or traded for the next one. If not, I wouldn't get to experience all the different models that I have been able to try/enjoy(or not).

I do understand the "families" part. I feel that way about the Jess Horn line. I will buy one, when I can afford it/when it becomes available and it goes in the safe or my pocket.
(I have given two away and "sold" one to a friend.)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

My Manix XLs, Shamans, and Kizer CF/linerlock Gemini are all permanant residents. Once I get the Rex45 and S90V Native Chiefs, those will be added to my permanant list.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I've sold off all the PM 2's minus the S110V blurple, as for "collecting" it's been more about the steels and have my share of para3's.

My mules are a different story and I'd have to be in a tough financial situation before I'd "sell" any, gifting is different though.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

At first I was gonna keep them all, now not so much. My first Spydies will stay, the PM2 I got at SFO for my bachelor party, the positron I wore at my wedding, the red domino my wife gave me that was first over $200. Once I realized I didn't care for the pm3 and get over having all the maxamet models I've been on a roll clearing out those which don't mean as much.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have few I won’t sell because I like them, a few I won’t sell because they have sentimental value and a few I won’t sell because they are users and they have lost a good chunk of their value.

Other than that they are mostly expendable if the price is right. I didn’t get into this to collect although I do in some ways now. I have quite a few knives and to me it is mostly a pile of funds that are currently tied up. One of the reasons that I find Spydies easy to buy is that they are also easy to sell. I do have a hard time making myself sell them but sometimes I get the itch to buy some other non knife toy and I will liquidate a few.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I buy folding knives to use and I buy fixed blades for a variety of reasons. Very few are sentimental enough that I am guaranteed to will them to my daughter, but I have already given her quite a few that she had an interest in. A few of my knives have sentimental value because I received them as gifts, the rest could go anytime I find that I don't use them much or if I replace them with something I think is better.

I have a Benchmade Leopard, a Spyderco Bradley folder and a Dozier skinner that were all received as gifts, so those will stay. My Spyderco PM2s, Manix2s and Militarys are my favorite carry and use knives but any of them could be replaced, for instance my models in M4 could be replaced by Rex45 or even K390/10V, or whatever super steel is next. For instance I found a PM2 in K390 so one of my M4 versions will be for sale. I bought one of the Manix2 XL models in M4 so I might sell my S30V version. Time will tell.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’m with Mushroom. Unless an emergency arises, I don’t plan on ever selling any of them, primarily for sentimental reasons. We don’t have kids, but I did set things up so I know where the collection is going when I pass.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

My collection is pretty much a revolving one, but there are definitely several that I hope never to sell, and several that I have set aside specifically for my kids.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Mostly Delica 4, then PM2, then Stretch 1&2. A couple each: Native 5, UKPK, Sage 5, and Chaparral. A bunch of fixed blades but not all Spyderco. I did grab a Shaman Crucarta but it didn't win me over so going to let that one go sometime in the near future and passed on the Shaman Rex 45 (so far this year the only Spyderco sprint/exclusive I'v had a chance to get).

Will continue to collect Delica 4, PM2, Sage 5 (compression lock), Chaparral, and fixed blades.

On the list: Sun and Moon, Nightstick, & Spy27 Mule.

This year I find myself using more than buying...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:51 pm
There's times when i think of thinning the herd, but it's hard.. One thing's for sure though, my "families" of knives i will keep until i can't live off my pension anymore :)
(Families, such as all Kopas, all Jess Horn etc.)

if you ever want to get rid of a walker for someones grail just plz send me a pm.

most of my knives i have are users and i dont have kids to hand down too. but everything in my sig i use and will probably keep but if i dont its ok they will just get replaced with other spydercos.

i wanted to buy a few nice spydercos to keep safe but cant seem to find what i am looking for.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Probably all of them? I have sold one (manix 2 lw, I prefer the heavy...) and traded my Sage 5 (prefer the Para 3). Other than that, I'm keeping most. All my current spydercos, all my Benchmades, all my ZTs. AD10 is a keeper. My Bucks. My Bareknuckles and Natrix knives. Civivi Baklash (Plethiros never gets carried or used...but it is an excellent knife).

My customs won't go anywhere (Crooked River, mini Crooked River, and my 110). My custom Griptilian is going to be sweet as well. M4/blue G10, blacked out blade and hardware.

How did I get this deep into the hobby so quickly? Lol! I guess I've been doing this for 3 years now!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t plan my curiosities. They just happen (like the many Spydies I have come to possess). And my curiosities have no end-date (neither do the Spydies I have come to possess). It’s a first-world silliness I will allow myself.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:40 pm
My collection is pretty much a revolving one, but there are definitely several that I hope never to sell, and several that I have set aside specifically for my kids.
I'd really be interested which ones these are, just if you don't mind to share of course. :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:40 pm
I always intend to make my collection a revolving one but it somehow never seems to happen. New things come in but nothing ever goes out! I've forced myself to sell exactly one Spyderco knife. I think I really need to work on self-discipline :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Military, Schempp Bowie, Para 3 S30V, DLC, G10
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation