Siren in the dish washer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JohnAPA

Siren in the dish washer?

Post by JohnAPA »

I've been using my siren quite a bit for food preparation. Recently I brought it along for a fishing outing with my son. Now feel like I need to sterilize it. Is it dishwasher safe? I just used soap and hot water and called it good, but just checking a novel idea. :eek: :D
VooDooChild

Re: Siren in the dish washer?

Post by VooDooChild »

Something about dishwashers ruining edges.

I wouldnt. Seems like there would be easier ways to clean and sterilize it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I wouldn’t. The soap and hot water should be good enough.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I doubt anyone gets theirs grosser than mine. I wash with hot water and soap and that’s plenty. I’m only semi domesticated though so that may not be good enough for everybody. I figure if I miss a couple of germs that’s just good training for my immune system. In all seriousness I’ve never felt the need for a dishwasher or disassembly to get mine clean.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If I need to get a knife really clean I will clip it to the inside of a cargo pocket and run it through the washing machine with a full load of clothes. It comes out squeaky clean. :) Found this out by accident. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

If you really feel the need to sterilize it, after washing it with soap and hot water you can wipe it down with rubbing alcohol but unless you’re splinter picking, it’s a little overboard.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

The best reason I've come across on why NOT to use the dishwasher is that the dish machine soap contains a slight amount of abrasives. Imagine spraying your knife with a coarse slurry, a nice edge doesn't appreciate that.

I used to worked in a kitchen doing dishes and I can guarantee you that hit water and dish soap works well enough for any health inspection.
/ David
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

JohnAPA sir in the past when I wanted to clean anything very well I would use a can of "Break Clean" the spray will evaporate in a few seconds...I have used it on firearms for years. You can spot clean with the little tube that comes with the can, It will blow out anything stuck in your knife. BC will clean out all the lube in the pivot and I would wash it out with soap and water when done especially if your using your knife for food and then blow out any water left in your knife with one of the compressed gas cans people use for their computer keyboard or electronic parts...then lube it up. The old tooth brush and "Dawn" dish soap should do you good if you have stuff that been in there for months and just won't come out. Just a suggestion...but that is the way I would do it. :)

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

How about cleaning the blade with rubbing alcohol?
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

the dishwasher gets piping scalding hot water.
"stay puft."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Not saying you should but I sometimes run my Salt knives through my dishwasher with no I'll effects. And most of my knives have been through the washing machine a few times on accident with no noticable (to me at least) effects.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
setldown

Post by setldown »

You could wash with soap and water then rinse. Fill a pan with an inch water and get it boiling. Place the knife in a vegetable strainer and place it in the pan above the water so just the steam hits the knife and cover for a minute or two. Or just dip in a solution of 1 Tbs of bleach to 1 quart of water and rinse. That would also destroy any DNA evidence. :eek:
Dry thoroughly and oil the pivot.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I hand wash the utensils that I use for food prep and they are always clean when I finish. If you feel your hand washing is substandard enough that you don't think the knife is clean when you're done, I guess you could dishwasher it. I just haven't met the crud that couldn't be defeated with dish soap and a scrub brush. And I know how to get a knife dirty. Just seems like the dishwasher is a harsh place to send a nice knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Soak it in very hot soapy water (not boiling) and then just scrub it down. If you're really concerned about germs you can always do a bleach/water soak too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Thanks for all the responses Spyderheads!