The Final (probably) Three, Revised

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: The Final (probably) Three, Revised

Post by MichaelScott »

“The Marvelous McBee” — nice! I, for one, would like to hear more about them especially in terms of usefulness.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'd go with different sizes, so that'll probably turn out to be some flavor of the following:
- Stretch
- Para 3
- Dragonfly 2

I'm pretty sure I couldn't limit it to just three though...
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am
I just love the varied responses to this thread. I thought about going back and toting up the number of votes for each type of knife but nah, not gonna do it.

So, I’m thinking that I will move my Shempp Bowie to a full blown collector knife because of his special meaning to me and not carry it as a user. Of course that could change in the future but right now that’s what I intend.

So a space has opened up between the Para 3 and the Military. I am thinking seriously about a Mannix 2 lightweight blue because I don’t have one, I love the see-through color, I also like BD1N, and the ball bearing lock. I also suspect that the ergonomics, in so far as ergonomics can be applied to a slab sided knife, are pretty **** good. A big lightweight 3 ounce sharp folding user knife is not a bad thing.

Any advice or criticism are welcome.
What I’m hearing is we now get to choose 4 Spydercos to keep!

I’ll add a Ladybug to my previous 3. I really dig that little bug.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:

So a space has opened up between the Para 3 and the Military. I am thinking seriously about a Mannix 2 lightweight blue because I don’t have one, I love the see-through color, I also like BD1N, and the ball bearing lock. I also suspect that the ergonomics, in so far as ergonomics can be applied to a slab sided knife, are pretty **** good. A big lightweight 3 ounce sharp folding user knife is not a bad thing.

Any advice or criticism are welcome.
Since you already know the PM2 I just can strongly recommend the Manix 2 LW in translucent blue. I really love mine, as you perhaps already have noticed... :rolleyes:

The Manix 2 LW is NOT like I would want EACH Spyderco I have to be, but it really fills a niche: It is cool to have ONE translucent knife, it is cool to have such a wide, comfy handle (and blade) in such a low weight, and it is cool to have at least one CBBL knife.

If, on the other hand, lets say the Stretch 1 would come in translucent, linerless FRCP and I had one: Then I´d probably go with a (skeletonized) linered G10 Manix 2.

But as it is: The LW is perfect for me. Hope you´ll give it a try too and report back....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:57 am
MichaelScott wrote:
What I’m hearing is we now get to choose 4 Spydercos to keep!

I’ll add a Ladybug to my previous 3. I really dig that little bug.
That´s great! :D

I´ll add the Endela SE to my previous list then.. ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:18 pm
I have had a Para Military 2 and liked it. For my purposes (and likes) the Para 3 is a “better” knife and since I wanted both a larger knife in the same family it made sense to me to go with the Military.

I don’t want the same knife only middle size.

From a practical and technological perspective I think the Manix 2 LW is a winner. I will see after I put some miles on it.
Yea, that totally makes sense. I still don't like the erog quite as much but my Manix 2 LW does see a fair amount of use. Really nice to have so much cutting power in such a small, lightweight package.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ha! That is why I said “probably“.

Well I think I’m going to order one from SFO. I no longer have my para military 2 although I think it is one outstanding folding knife. For the reasons previously stated I am very interested in the translucent Manix 2 with BD1 in steel.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 am
Ha! That is why I said “probably“.

Well I think I’m going to order one from SFO. I no longer have my para military 2 although I think it is one outstanding folding knife. For the reasons previously stated I am very interested in the translucent Manix 2 with BD1 in steel.
Get one, Michael! I am really curious how you´ll like it...

And: Cause you said "BD1 steel": Make sure you get one with the "new" BD1N steel! (I think there are still older "just" BD1 versions out there too) - as far as a "steel amateur" like me can tell (had the Manix 2 LW in both steels) it is a noticeable upgrade.
Big50

Post by Big50 »

Too late to put in my 3?

#1. The Southard. It was my first grail knife. I love the blade shape & grind. The edges are perfectly melted. The stonewash on the blade and lock side scale is impeccable. I even find the asymmetry endearing. Mine is still flipping great, in spite of the wonky washers.

#2. PM2 S110V. It took me a while to warm up to this knife. It was a bit chippy and it’s kind of a pocket hog. Then I put a new edge in it and started using it. Hard. It’s the perfect work knife and the S110V keeps a good working edge forever.

#3. Hungarian. I mean, come on! Have you seen it? Fit and finish is perfect. It feels like a custom. Great knife.

If there was room for #4 it would be the Spydiechef.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

After much dithering around, I have settled, for now on this pair of threes:

Spydercos
Para 3, DLC, S30V, Black
Watu
Schempp Bowie

Great Eastern Cutlery
#44 Buffalo Jack OD Green Micarta
#82 Dixie Stockman Elderberry Jigged bone
#62 Easy Pocket Congress Tidoute Ivory

Team Innovation
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

This is harder than I thought. Sp, I'm gonna kinda cheat.

1: SE Dodo
Nothing works quite like this Dodo.

2:Paysan
I love the blade shape and the integral titanium handle.

3: Ocelot/Lil' Matriarch/ Meerkat (reverse-s) [SE]
I love the different reverse-s blades, but the Ocelot's drop point and ergos are lovely. I can't say which one of these three I would keep.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

My 3 from the same company would be (in no particular order):

police 4 lightweight
Pacific Salt SE
Byrd Hawkbill

And that’s after owning A LOT of them.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006