Siren

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Re: Siren

Post by Holland »

awesome photos Lance!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:35 pm
Nice pics.

Nice fish.

Intimidating looking gills for PE.

Did you use the Siren to bleed it or something with teeth?

Gonna order an LC200N SE Pac Salt 2 but I still want a Siren with teeth.
Hey Skeeg, I’m right there with you on wanting a serrated Siren. I keep a coarse finish on mine which helps for gill cutting and the PE is more versatile when it’s time to remove fillets but I have to admit I miss my serrations on the water sometimes. :) :spyder:
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Interesting that you said this Gringo as I was wondering a few days back if you had moved on from serrations.
Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Nice pics.

Nice fish.

Hey Skeeg, I’m right there with you on wanting a serrated Siren. I keep a coarse finish on mine which helps for gill cutting and the PE is more versatile when it’s time to remove fillets but I have to admit I miss my serrations on the water sometimes. :) :spyder:
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:09 pm
That’s a great shot man. Hey, just wanted to say I finally got a Siren in recently. I’m really digging it. The ergos are sweet as is the blade shape. Love the grip texture and it just feels like a featherweight for the size. Nice work!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

40mm wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 pm
Interesting that you said this Gringo as I was wondering a few days back if you had moved on from serrations.
Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:58 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Nice pics.

Nice fish.

My thinking is, if I have just one knife I would choose a PE Siren. It can do everything that the Waterway does (including removing fillets) and I can have everything I need in one knife that I can fold up and stick in my waistband. If I am carrying two knives though (which I almost always am :rolleyes: haha) then it makes a lot of sense to carry a serrated folder along with my Waterway. The Siren was made with a certain philosophy of use and I definitely wouldn’t change that but it WOULD be nice to have a serrated version I could carry in certain settings. :spyder:
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I would dearly like a serrated Siren. Kinda like a matching set type of thing. When surf fishing I always carry one of each edge type. Sure, I could get by quite handily with a PE Siren and a serrated LC200N Pac Salt, but pairing with a serrated Siren would be a more elegant solution......especially if the spacer for the serrated version were a different color like lime green to distinguish between the two versions.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I just received by Rockjumper and it has exactly the back spring strength that my Siren is missing. Much less lock release in an edge-in reverse hammer grip and firm hammer grip. If anyone else has both, can you check to see if your results are the same? Maybe my Siren just has a weak back spring?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 am
I just received by Rockjumper and it has exactly the back spring strength that my Siren is missing. Much less lock release in an edge-in reverse hammer grip and firm hammer grip. If anyone else has both, can you check to see if your results are the same? Maybe my Siren just has a weak back spring?
I have both.

Yes, my Siren has the lock rattle on some grips. I don't like it. I think part of it has to do with the actual width of the lock bar. The fulcrum point of the lock bar is also quite far forward in the handle, basically ends up right under my middle finger in a reverse grip. The lock bar is wide enough that the meat of my hands can slightly depress it while I grip the handle firmly.

I do not feel any of that issue with my Rock Jumper. The lock recess is farther back in the handle so it's not directly under my first 2 fingers. I've never felt it rattle like the Siren does.

I feel like it has less to do with spring tension, although a stiffer spring would probably help, and more to do with the actual width of the lock bar and its position rather forward on the handle.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

soulspy wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:19 am
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 am
I have both.

Yes, my Siren has the lock rattle on some grips. I don't like it. I think part of it has to do with the actual width of the lock bar. The fulcrum point of the lock bar is also quite far forward in the handle, basically ends up right under my middle finger in a reverse grip. The lock bar is wide enough that the meat of my hands can slightly depress it while I grip the handle firmly.

I do not feel any of that issue with my Rock Jumper. The lock recess is farther back in the handle so it's not directly under my first 2 fingers. I've never felt it rattle like the Siren does.

I feel like it has less to do with spring tension, although a stiffer spring would probably help, and more to do with the actual width of the lock bar and its position rather forward on the handle.
Thank you, and I agree with your assessment.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I also would love a SE Siren. The lock strength doesn't bother me and I love the blue highlights so I vote to keep everything the same as it currently is, just give it some teeth.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

The finger guard/choil or whatever it's called needs to be relieved a bit. My thumb drags across it everytime I open it. My thumb has even popped out of the Spydie hole resulting in a fail to lock.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:06 am
The finger guard/choil or whatever it's called needs to be relieved a bit. My thumb drags across it everytime I open it. My thumb has even popped out of the Spydie hole resulting in a fail to lock.
Can you show a picture of what you mean? I cannot get my thumb to drag unless I make an awkward attempt to do so. Of course, your hands are likely much larger than mine.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Can you show a picture of what you mean? I cannot get my thumb to drag unless I make an awkward attempt to do so. Of course, your hands are likely much larger than mine.
Maybe just me. Brat size thumbs?
I have the same issue with my Yojimbo2. Much worse with the Siren though. I'll work on pics when I get home. Carrying a Police model today.
vivi

Post by vivi »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:44 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Maybe just me. Brat size thumbs?
I have the same issue with my Yojimbo2. Much worse with the Siren though. I'll work on pics when I get home. Carrying a Police model today.
I've experienced the same thing a few times. Also with my index finger while swinging the blade shut.

It isn't bad enough I've wanted to reduce the guard, but its made me better understand why I like the Police, Pacific Salt and Military so much. I like designs with well exposed opening holes.

I've switched to deploying and closing my Siren by pressing the lock release in with the tip of my index finger and wrist flicking the blade. I've posted some videos in my Siren Observations thread I believe.

edit - heres the video https://streamable.com/qlzh73
:unicorn
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Hey 5 by 5, good observation. The proximity of the guard in relation to the hole was something that I was acutely aware of during the design process. It gets tricky when you are trying to juggle the design characteristics on a folder as just about any aspect you change always affects a number of others. It would have been a simple enough matter to change the design so that the thumb could follow the arc without ever nearing the guard. I could have accomplished that by making the guard smaller, or by adding a thumb ramp or “hump” or even by changing the hole position.

Both the Waterway and the Siren are designed around a very prominent guard that is there to keep the hand safe in slippery conditions. That was not something I wanted to sacrifice for a slightly slicker opening. We did LOTS of massage work to find the best balance between a safe guard, proper hole position and “humpless” knife while still keeping the opening process smooth and functional. It’s always a balancing act and at the end of the day you have to prioritize things according to a certain philosophy of use.

In my use, I can (slightly) feel the guard when opening but it never impedes the smooth and efficient opening of the Siren. I get a clean opening and solid lockup 100% of the time, even when opening the knife in stressful situations on the water. Could be just a muscle memory thing from carrying and using it so long. :spyder: