10 years

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: 10 years

Post by archangel »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:10 pm
I've already commented here, but its really nice to see so many people recognizing and complimenting/appreciating a great member of our community today :cool:

Honestly I really don't know how to react, I'm not real big on receiving praise and attention, that wasn't really my goal here and now I feel like saying "hey thanks!" to each post that gets made here lol.

I don't really pay a lot of attention to post count either, I had passed 20k before I realized it. There are guys here who know WAY more than me that have way less posts, and I've been on forums where members like to think post count is a reason they can throw their weight around as if they're more important than others. The reality is most of my posts are casual chit chat anyway so I think quality of post is more important than post count.

I'm just a believer in the forum concept, having a place to share ideas is a valuable thing when you manage to find a community of people who know how to act right and not be jackasses. The fact that I've stuck around for 10 years speaks volumes about how civil this forum is. I've always been into knives but I never put a lot of thought into things like steel type until I joined this forum, before then it was just stainless vs carbon. I still get a little cross eyed reading some of the posts from members here who know so much about metallurgy, a lot of that stuff still goes right over my head.

I think it's important to surround yourself with people who challenge your own skills and knowledge and push you to better yourself and I definitely get that here.

Hear hear!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Congrats!
Time will spent it seems :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Congrats, David! :)

I don´t want to sound overly "praising", but it is just a fact that you are one of the people here I learned the most of. Especially your great thread about all the parameters that can determine the characteristic and performance of serrations was a real eye opener and source of new knowledge for me.

Imho you also have a way to post and communicate here, that makes this forum the great place to be that it most times just is.

So: I am glad you are here and hope for another 10 years! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

yeah... this thread got real mushy real quick.

i do want to say thanks for all the back and forth though. i really appreciate your willingness to engage and share your experience and knowledge with all of us.

i will have a caribbean someday and it’ll mostly be because of you.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Congratulations....June 26 is my birthday (41)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Congrats, D. Great to have you around here. I enjoy your presence and have learned a bit from you.

Be well, man!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That’s a long time on one forum. I don’t think I’ve been on any that long; maybe Ruger forum. My focus/interests change and I move on. Have always enjoyed your posts!
👊
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thank you, David, for your many contributions. This forum runs on enthusiasm and curiosity, two parents to real knowledge. You exemplify both traits.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Congratulations David, it’s hard to believe it’s been that long! I’ve been on here seven years and you were already a veteran forum contributor when I joined. ;) Best wishes for another great 10 years! Cheers, (the other) Paul :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Congrats on making it this far.
May we all say the same again in another 10 years.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Good on you D! :cool:

Mate, I was looking to write something flowery but suffice to say I think you’re an asset to our little community and can only echo Killer’s words.

Hope you’re around for some time yet. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:39 pm
Good on you D! :cool:

Mate, I was looking to write something flowery but suffice to say I think you’re an asset to our little community and can only echo Killer’s words.

Hope you’re around for some time yet. :)
Is it only 4 years for you, Alex? It seems longer, somehow....
:D
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Late to the party. But congratulations.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:51 pm
Is it only 4 years for you, Alex? It seems longer, somehow....
:D
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

I’m hearing you, Chris! :D :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Congrats David!

When I came back to the forum recently I was happy to see you were still around. It seems few of the regulars from 9 years ago or so are, but they say we come and go.

I've learned a lot from your posts and value your contributions to the forum. Do let us know what you think of that Rockjumper.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Congratulations!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

That’s amazing man. Thanks for sticking around. You’ve been a great contributor here for a long time!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Congratulations! You've made quite an impact in your time here, and I'm sure the next decade will be just as fulfilling!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I thought I had posted in this thread, guess not.

It was a good 10 years. It doesn't feel like it was long ago that you just started here. I guess I've been around for more than 10!

Time flies when you spend all your time being OCD about knives! :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:29 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:41 am
Also, thanks for posting more than me. ;) I have the gift of gab and I don’t want to have the most posts or the most post per day on here. :D
I've really neglected a lot of my other hobbies so this is pretty much the only forum I frequent anymore. I used to post a LOT on a couple Mustang forums. For a while I was pretty into building my car and racing it but it has sat in the garage for almost as long as I've been on this forum :(
That's exactly what happened to me along with 2 young boys. This is actually the only forum I frequently attend even if I don't post. All kinds of valuable information here.