The DAMAUKPK Project: Damasteel UK Penknife UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Cambertree » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:21 am

Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 am
Patterned shirt + plain trousers is fine.
Plain shirt + patterned trousers is fine.
Patterned shirt + patterned trousers is too busy.

I am liking the suggestion of shredded carbon fibre.
Yeah, I agree - shredded CF would look good. It’s low key enough to still allow the damascus be the star of the piece, yet it would add some visual complexity and interest on closer examination. It’s also a ‘premium’ type of handle material, and lightweight to boot.

fixall
Member
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 am

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby fixall » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:24 am

Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:16 am
fixall wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:11 am
Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 am
I am unsure about titanium; would it likely go with the damasteel? I have seen other manufacturers use 'timascus' but I feel its a bit too much.

Patterned shirt + plain trousers is fine.
Plain shirt + patterned trousers is fine.
Patterned shirt + patterned trousers is too busy.

I am liking the suggestion of shredded carbon fibre.

Dense Twist Damasteel, Titanium, and Timascus to give you an idea of the looks. Timascus is very expensive material.

I’m very much for having a premium material to match the premium blade (as far as steels go, Damasteel is also very expensive), but I think titanium might take the cost a bit too high. I too would like a nice shred carbon fiber (or natural wood) and think they would keep the cost somewhat reasonable.

I’d be curious to hear how much more titanium would add to the cost over carbon fiber shred or natural wood though. Other than the raw material cost, I wonder if the man hours for machining is drastically different.
Yes. I too would like some sort if an idea how much more the jnife would be with the various options you mentioned.

What do we all think about a dark hard wood handle?
Accidentally posted before I linked the picture, lol. Fixed it so you have an idea of the looks of titanium, Timascus, and Damasteel together.

I think african blackwood or ebony (more likely ebony because of the scarcity of blackwood) would look nice and classy, and since they’re pretty dark and uniform it wouldn’t detract from the blade very much.

Personally if not carbon fiber shred, I think desert ironwood would pair marvelously. Just no Dymondwood style material please.

User avatar
archangel
Member
Posts: 1402
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: Wuppertal, Germany, Earth

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby archangel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:45 am

I'm fine with any handle material, as long as it's not FRN. :p In the interest of affordability, neither gold please ;) nor fluted titanium nor fluted CF.

Proposal: simple G10 scales in a nice color other than black, and leave it up to the aftermarket scales specialists to offer fancy stuff for those who need it?
Michael
The count is 37 / 34

User avatar
Superfool
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm
Location: Troublemaker Class, UK, Earth

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Superfool » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:54 am

fixall wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:24 am
I think african blackwood or ebony (more likely ebony because of the scarcity of blackwood) would look nice and classy, and since they’re pretty dark and uniform it wouldn’t detract from the blade very much.

Personally if not carbon fiber shred, I think desert ironwood would pair marvelously. Just no Dymondwood style material please.
I am loving the idea or ebony and ironwood looks nice.

Dymondwood reminds of worn out skateboards, and I think would look a bit tacky, but its all down to personal taste I suppose.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

:spyder: Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020 :spyder:

User avatar
Superfool
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm
Location: Troublemaker Class, UK, Earth

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Superfool » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:57 am

archangel wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:45 am
I'm fine with any handle material, as long as it's not FRN. :p In the interest of affordability, neither gold please ;) nor fluted titanium nor fluted CF.

Proposal: simple G10 scales in a nice color other than black, and leave it up to the aftermarket scales specialists to offer fancy stuff for those who need it?
Agreed on the FRN. Just no.

G10 with a full length liner would be nice, like the HH model, and then as you say, famcy aftermarket scaled for those who want it.

What do you reckon to that Spydie blurple colour, or does that divide the room?
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

:spyder: Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020 :spyder:

fixall
Member
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 am

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby fixall » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:15 am

archangel wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:45 am
Proposal: simple G10 scales in a nice color other than black, and leave it up to the aftermarket scales specialists to offer fancy stuff for those who need it?
That’s a fine idea too. Save some money for the people who are mainly interested in the blade... And what’s another $80 - $100 for fancy aftermarket scales for the people who were willing to drop extra money on a natural wood, shred carbon fiber, or titanium scales straight from Spyderco.

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2237
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Woodpuppy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 am

archangel wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:45 am
I'm fine with any handle material, as long as it's not FRN. :p In the interest of affordability, neither gold please ;) nor fluted titanium nor fluted CF.

Proposal: simple G10 scales in a nice color other than black, and leave it up to the aftermarket scales specialists to offer fancy stuff for those who need it?
Yes this please! I’d like a chance at this version, but titanium and CF blow the price up too much. And I specifically dislike smooth handles. Peel ply CF would be fantastic, and is among the grippiest textures Spyderco offers - I’d think an EMT would appreciate that.

I’d specifically love the green G10, like the 204P sprints or the hap40 Caly (like Julia, I still think of that one...)

Thanks for kicking off this idea, Superfool!!
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Sumdumguy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:33 am

I probably wouldn't be a buyer if it was plain G10 or micarta.

Bolstered with a nice inlay, fluted CF, or Titanium would be a ringer. Otherwise, it's not really enough for me to jump on board.
Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 am
Patterned shirt + patterned trousers is too busy.
Wanna fight about it?! :p :D

User avatar
Superfool
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm
Location: Troublemaker Class, UK, Earth

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Superfool » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:39 am

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 am

Yes this please! I’d like a chance at this version, but titanium and CF blow the price up too much. And I specifically dislike smooth handles. Peel ply CF would be fantastic, and is among the grippiest textures Spyderco offers - I’d think an EMT would appreciate that.

I’d specifically love the green G10, like the 204P sprints or the hap40 Caly (like Julia, I still think of that one...)

Thanks for kicking off this idea, Superfool!!
My pleasure.

I have not even been in here a month, and am super-stoked that this idea has taken off.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

:spyder: Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020 :spyder:

User avatar
Superfool
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm
Location: Troublemaker Class, UK, Earth

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Superfool » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:06 am

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:33 am
Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 am
Patterned shirt + patterned trousers is too busy.
Wanna fight about it?! :p :D
I will fight you, Sir, but the usual rules apply: No touching of the hair and face.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

:spyder: Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020 :spyder:

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Sumdumguy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:08 am

Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:06 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:33 am
Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 am
Patterned shirt + patterned trousers is too busy.
Wanna fight about it?! :p :D
I will fight you, Sir, but the usual rules apply: No touching of the hair and face.
You're gonna get your air kicked...
Tacky Hawaiian shirt style!

:D

User avatar
Dazen
Member
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Texas U.S.A. Earth

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Dazen » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:22 am

Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:39 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 am

Yes this please! I’d like a chance at this version, but titanium and CF blow the price up too much. And I specifically dislike smooth handles. Peel ply CF would be fantastic, and is among the grippiest textures Spyderco offers - I’d think an EMT would appreciate that.

I’d specifically love the green G10, like the 204P sprints or the hap40 Caly (like Julia, I still think of that one...)

Thanks for kicking off this idea, Superfool!!
My pleasure.

I have not even been in here a month, and am super-stoked that this idea has taken off.
I’m torn on Peel-Ply for the UKPK, while it’s one of my favorite Spyderco materials the UKPK usually rides clipless in my pocket and the smoother the better.

I too would probably be out if it is just G10, it reminds me of a Texas Tuxedo and I hate having to procure aftermarket scales. This forum has been begging for a premium UKPK for quite some time and I think you hit the nail on the head with the damascus, so let’s finally get this done! For as serious as Sal seems on this one everyone needs to start saving now!

Sal, please make this with at least 1500 pieces, regular production would be better :D

Also, will this have a full damascus backspacer to bring it all together.

Here is an idea of what damascus and shredded cf looks like.

Image

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Sumdumguy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 am

Dazen wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:22 am
Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:39 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 am

Yes this please! I’d like a chance at this version, but titanium and CF blow the price up too much. And I specifically dislike smooth handles. Peel ply CF would be fantastic, and is among the grippiest textures Spyderco offers - I’d think an EMT would appreciate that.

I’d specifically love the green G10, like the 204P sprints or the hap40 Caly (like Julia, I still think of that one...)

Thanks for kicking off this idea, Superfool!!
My pleasure.

I have not even been in here a month, and am super-stoked that this idea has taken off.
I’m torn on Peel-Ply for the UKPK, while it’s one of my favorite Spyderco materials the UKPK usually rides clipless in my pocket and the smoother the better.

I too would probably be out if it is just G10, it reminds me of a Texas Tuxedo and I hate having to procure aftermarket scales. This forum has been begging for a premium UKPK for quite some time and I think you hit the nail on the head with the damascus, so let’s finally get this done! For as serious as Sal seems on this one everyone needs to start saving now!

Sal, please make this with at least 1500 pieces, regular production would be better :D

Also, will this have a full damascus backspacer to bring it all together.

Here is an idea of what damascus and shredded cf looks like.

Image
Very nice!

But, I think it still needs a bolster to complete the look.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5134
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:20 am

I actually had that knife on preorder a few months ago...until I realized I would never use it.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

Lucky21
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun May 03, 2020 7:54 am

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Lucky21 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:00 am

Ivory micarta or wood for me. Either would sit nicely with twist damasteel, and preferably a bolster that could be engraved if one wanted.

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 4270
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby The Meat man » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:07 am

Please keep the etching on the Damasteel light. I think a lighter contrast looks a lot nice than a stark contrast.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

User avatar
Superfool
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm
Location: Troublemaker Class, UK, Earth

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Superfool » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 am

sal wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:57 pm
Hi SF,

It looks like it could happen. Your are now a member of the "troublemaker class" like Jazz, UK Ken and a number of others others that hang here. :p

I still haven't selected a handle so input from here and the "Edge Matters" forum is really good.
Hi Sal.

Firstly, glad to be on the "troublemaker class". It's an elite group, and where my life always guides me, so to achieve this in less than 4 weeks is a personal best. I am sure I will get along with all the fellow reprobates, and continue to be a pain in your arse (***).

So two schools of thought seem to be shaking out here, with regards to the handles;

1. Damasteel with G10 handle, of undecided colour (color in American ;) ), I quite like blurple, but we can figure that out closer to the time. This would keep the costs lower, and those who wanted super fancy, could get custom scales to suit their budget.

2. Ironwood / shredded carbon, or my personal preference, fluted carbon, going for the premium finish, but not everyone will want to drop that money on there.

Personally, I think the first option is best, then if people want to go big thay can customise, and they can get and FRN and pop the G10s on that, so as to have a good day-to-day one, and the damasteel for best.

I was wondering, how about doing 1000 of each? Is that possible?
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

:spyder: Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020 :spyder:

User avatar
JRinFL
Member
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am
Location: Unfashionable West End of the Galaxy

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby JRinFL » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 am

For the US based people wishing for high end steels and handle materials, keep in mind the actual cost to the end user in the UK and most of Europe is very much higher than here in the States.
Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date. :rolleyes: :spyder: Native in 440v was my gateway Spyderco! :spyder: Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.

User avatar
archangel
Member
Posts: 1402
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: Wuppertal, Germany, Earth

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby archangel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:14 am

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 am
For the US based people wishing for high end steels and handle materials, keep in mind the actual cost to the end user in the UK and most of Europe is very much higher than here in the States.

Hear hear!
Michael
The count is 37 / 34

User avatar
Superfool
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 pm
Location: Troublemaker Class, UK, Earth

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Postby Superfool » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:18 am

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 am
For the US based people wishing for high end steels and handle materials, keep in mind the actual cost to the end user in the UK and most of Europe is very much higher than here in the States.
Import takes 60% when they have finished with loads of fees and rubbish, and the postage will be $30ish.
A $100 knife becomes $200.
$200 knife becomes $380.
Etc etc.

That's why I was hoping I could get someone to 'under the radar' a couple whenever they finally get made.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

:spyder: Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020 :spyder:


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aicolainen, curlyhairedboy, nerdlock and 25 guests