The DAMAUKPK Project: Damasteel UK Penknife UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Post by ChrisinHove »

Discussing the same topic, someone posted a pic of a custom Ivory micarta with etched blade UKPK on EM and it looks absolutely fantastic!

Sal did mention that contouring could be an option ....

Smooth contoured Ivory g10 (or micarta) and ideally filework to the backspring like the One Eyed Jack would get my vote!

Classy, but hopefully not having to sell a vital organ to afford.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi all,

These exotic materials, bolsters, fluted machining, Timascus, etc. really jumps the cost, which in turn will reduce the demand. Materials like ironwood, etc. will require a liner. I don't think everyone wants a $500 knife?

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Damasteel blade with ivory frn or g10 would keep the costs down and look amazing. The HH UKPK is very simple yet refined and classy with the red g10.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
archangel

Post by archangel »

Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:18 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 am
For the US based people wishing for high end steels and handle materials, keep in mind the actual cost to the end user in the UK and most of Europe is very much higher than here in the States.
Import takes 60% when they have finished with loads of fees and rubbish, and the postage will be $30ish.
A $100 knife becomes $200.
$200 knife becomes $380.
Etc etc.

That's why I was hoping I could get someone to 'under the radar' a couple whenever they finally get made.

Can I join ya?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Sal, I'm definitely down for cheaper handle materials. There's a whole bunch of fancy materials we could pursue after we get the knife, but a damasteel blade is a lot harder to make happen.

I'd even be interested if this sprint was unsharpened blanks and you had to pair it with your own UKpk.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:02 am
Hi all,

These exotic materials, bolsters, fluted machining, Timascus, etc. really jumps the cost, which in turn will reduce the demand. Materials like ironwood, etc. will require a liner. I don't think everyone wants a $500 knife?

sal
Exactly! I am a fan of the other thread to bring back a titanium handled UKPK, seeing this thread I hope they aren't combined into a single offering. I would want a bit of a premium steel on a titanium scaled sprint, but I worry that Damascus would push the price too high for me at any rate.

Grizz
PStone

Post by PStone »

I would like to see a polished linerless g10. Preferably a dark maroon. I think that would look awesome with some Damascus. Black hardware would put it over the top.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:48 am
Discussing the same topic, someone posted a pic of a custom Ivory micarta with etched blade UKPK on EM and it looks absolutely fantastic!

Sal did mention that contouring could be an option ....

Smooth contoured Ivory g10 (or micarta) and ideally filework to the backspring like the One Eyed Jack would get my vote!

Classy, but hopefully not having to sell a vital organ to afford.
Can you post it here with permission please?
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

gdwtvb wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:33 am
sal wrote:
Hi all,

sal
Exactly! I am a fan of the other thread to bring back a titanium handled UKPK, seeing this thread I hope they aren't combined into a single offering. I would want a bit of a premium steel on a titanium scaled sprint, but I worry that Damascus would push the price too high for me at any rate.

Grizz
Ditto.
I do not want these combined.
David

fixall

Post by fixall »

sal wrote:
Hi all,

sal
That’s a good point about desert ironwood needing liners. The lack of liners could also make certain aftermarket scales difficult. Really, I think shred carbon fiber sounds better and better as this thread progresses. The Native 5 in carbon fiber does very well without liners.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I ask myself “why do I want damascus”- because it’s a show piece, and in my mind G10 is nothing special. Adding anything like firework or contouring would just add to the cost as well.

It you want ivory or burgundy G10 pair that with something like Cruwear and you have something great at a low cost. I just feel a damascus UKPK deserves some better scale material.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
pdixon

Post by pdixon »

I posted in the titanium UKPK thread also, and whilst the Damascus isn’t something personally interested in, I think the market is there for greater customisation and options on the UKPK.

It’s essentially one of the few knives we’re allowed to carry here that’s a modern slip so spending a bit extra to get the knife you want is certainly within most people’s thinking.

I love the sprint runs the PM2 is coming in, the REC PM2, all of the stuff Blade HQ are doing - there’re all fantastic and beautiful and I do spend that money, but ultimately they sit in a box in my cupboard and I can’t enjoy taking them out and using them as I could a UKPK in similar colour schemes.

I’ve paid a guy in this country £130 to refinish my blade hardware and scales to get one version of the UKPK I like, I’d be happy to pay a bit more to get that knife direct from Spyderco!
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

pdixon wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:28 pm
I posted in the titanium UKPK thread also, and whilst the Damascus isn’t something personally interested in, I think the market is there for greater customisation and options on the UKPK.

It’s essentially one of the few knives we’re allowed to carry here that’s a modern slip so spending a bit extra to get the knife you want is certainly within most people’s thinking.

I love the sprint runs the PM2 is coming in, the REC PM2, all of the stuff Blade HQ are doing - there’re all fantastic and beautiful and I do spend that money, but ultimately they sit in a box in my cupboard and I can’t enjoy taking them out and using them as I could a UKPK in similar colour schemes.

I’ve paid a guy in this country £130 to refinish my blade hardware and scales to get one version of the UKPK I like, I’d be happy to pay a bit more to get that knife direct from Spyderco!
I hear all that, but I think what Sal is saying, is that they are not tooled up to do £130 one-offs.

We will be looking at the whole tooling up, so he has to shift loads of them. The more they are to buy the less people want them, so the price goes even higher.

So what matey can do for a £130 one off, will be £400 to £500.
David

pdixon

Post by pdixon »

....even for black blades with coloured G10?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:05 pm
I ask myself “why do I want damascus”- because it’s a show piece, and in my mind G10 is nothing special. Adding anything like firework or contouring would just add to the cost as well.

It you want ivory or burgundy G10 pair that with something like Cruwear and you have something great at a low cost. I just feel a damascus UKPK deserves some better scale material.
My thoughts exactly.

If we are making a nice knife, make it nice. Don't halfa$$ it.

It's about like the new Supras. They want a gob load of money for a car that is "ready for modification". Why would I pay a premium for a knife, that I am going to then have to try to find someone to make scales to my spec.

I've been looking for someone to make custom scales for a Caribbean for two years...

Also, steel liners are a requirement on my end, unless it is CF. Linerless g10/FRN won't do it for me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 am
Damasteel blade with ivory frn or g10 would keep the costs down and look amazing. The HH UKPK is very simple yet refined and classy with the red g10.

This gets my vote (G10, not FRN). I and some others mentioned it on the Edge Matters forum as well.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:37 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:

This gets my vote (G10, not FRN). I and some others mentioned it on the Edge Matters forum as well.
Also gives people the option to rit dye it whatever color they choose
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:50 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:37 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Also gives people the option to rit dye it whatever color they choose
I’d vote for this variation too (ivory G-10 with Damasteel). Heck, why not make this the 2020 or 2021 Forum Knife?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Something akin to this would be my preference still, in contoured CF (the SS bolsters while lovely could probably be ditched for a UKPK version). I would be game for it to be a forum knife here or with one of our friends overseas (just as long as we can get some!). :)

Also, polished G10 does NOT take RIT dye well at all FYI. ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That’s gorgeous, but I can tell it’s beyond my budget.