The DAMAUKPK Project: Damasteel UK Penknife UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Superfool

Re: Damascus UK Penknife UKPK

Post by Superfool »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:32 pm
This thread is making me want to go find a 40th Anniversary Native.
Yeah, I got one, and it's super nice.
The fluted carbon is great.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
archangel

Post by archangel »

Anything affordable with a Damasteel blade and a Spydiehole and :spyder: - count me in! But make it happen in a quantity that gives as many people as possible a chance to get one!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

I was thinking 1200 - 1500 pcs. Thoughts?

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:30 am

sal
Hard to say. I have a feeling this combo would be very popular, especially if it's not a huge markup from the standard version.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

sal wrote:

sal
Would be a great forum knife ...

:D
archangel

Post by archangel »

1500 pcs might be good.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Lucky21 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:54 am
Some quick and dirty visuals of new style UKPK’s. Love the idea of a tool steel in the Brouwer blade shape. Would look so traditional with a nice patina, but have all the modern functionality
That bolstered wood one, in damasteel would get my money and I'm not that big into slipjoints.

I suppose fluted CF on damasteel would be an okay consolation prize. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Lots of input and posts from Sal in this one...time to sub!!!! :cool: :D
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

sal wrote:

sal
Oh my goodness. It's happening. You are thinking about going with my idea?

As long as someone can send number 999 and 1000 across the pond to me, that would be great. (Please).

Paramedic you see. Its our 911.

And the other one is for my closest friend as a wedding gift.
David

Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:09 pm
Lucky21 wrote:
Some quick and dirty visuals of new style UKPK’s. Love the idea of a tool steel in the Brouwer blade shape. Would look so traditional with a nice patina, but have all the modern functionality
That bolstered wood one, in damasteel would get my money and I'm not that big into slipjoints.

I agree, the bolstered wood one would be nice too. Or jigged bone. But how much would that be?
David

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Superfool wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:00 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:09 pm
Lucky21 wrote:

I agree, the bolstered wood one would be nice too. Or jigged bone. But how much would that be?
I could justify ~$200. Maybe $225, if it was REALLY snazzy.(None of that fake wood stuff >.>)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
foofie

Post by foofie »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:02 pm
Costs are another story. The Damasteel alone will probably add 25% to the cost of the "Entry Level" FRN UKPK. The current FRN version made in Golden is about as inexpensive as we could make the tool. Handle material and the processing of the material adds quickly.
The cost of the s110v version of the UKPK is over 50% more than the entry level. If Damasteel only adds 25%, this would be a minimal increase in price - possibly less than the s110v version (if scales are frn). Even with g10 scales, it sounds like the price will be very manageable. This is sounding better and better.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SF,

It looks like it could happen. Your are now a member of the "troublemaker class" like Jazz, UK Ken and a number of others others that hang here. :p

First, don't quote me on the 25%. That was just a wild guess so treat it like a grain of salt. Also, it's still a ways off, so patience will be necessary. I'll have to nag Eric and the factory to try to squeeze it in if another model is delayed for some reason.

I'm waiting to receive all of their Damasteel patterns so I can study them.

I still haven't selected a handle so input from here and the "Edge Matters" forum is really good. They're a bit daft, but great sense of humor. ( I guess that's humour in "English" ). I know some of them are regularly here on this forum.

We don't number the Sprints so you'll have to come up with something else. I guess the store can engrave a name?

I'm sure that someone here or us can figure out how to get you 2 and get them to you.

sal
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

This is super exciting! The UKPK is one of my favorite Spydercos and I've always wanted a knife in Damasteel! Looks like my fortune cookie may have been right that "something exciting will happen to you soon" :D
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Superfool wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:38 pm
Cambertree: Thank you for your views on the handle, but moreso for the explanation of the metals.

I try to read up on this stuff, but a lot of it goes over my head. I clearly should have paid more attention in chemistry.
No worries Superfool. This forum is a good place to ask questions - there’s a lot of people here who are knowledgable about all kinds of subjects.

On the run quantity, I’d go for the higher number. I think a UKPK might incite less of a piranha feeding frenzy than the REX45 sprints, but the need for non locking knives for legal reasons will only become more common over time across the world.

Not being able to acquire a new knife model is a trivial concern in the greater scheme of things, but nonetheless it has been frustrating to not be able to get a REX45 Li’l Native, for example.

The time differences and having many US knife vendors who will not ship overseas increase the difficulty of getting hold of popular new models for people outside the US. Some of these new releases only seem to stay in stock for minutes at a time.

Anyway, rant aside, it’s good news that we might see this model sometime in the future.

For handle material reference, here’s a pic of a Stretch with contoured linen micarta scales. They were originally OD green, but they’ve darkened with time and use.

Smooth, contoured G10 might be another material that would allow the damascus patterning to be the focus, and keep handle costs down somewhat.

Maybe with coloured accents like the Siren scales?

Anyway, I’m just throwing out some ideas - I don’t really mind what handle material is used. I’d get this model primarily to try the steel and for the thin 2.5mm bladestock.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Why not just “kill two birds with one stone” with the recent request for the return of the Ti UKPK with Damascus.

Fluted Ti with any nice patterned Damascus would get my vote. Marbled or Shredded CF would get my attention as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:11 pm
Why not just “kill two birds with one stone” with the recent request for the return of the Ti UKPK with Damascus.

Fluted Ti with any nice patterned Damascus would get my vote. Marbled or Shredded CF would get my attention as well.
That would be cool but that would end up being a very pricey knife.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

I am unsure about titanium; would it likely go with the damasteel? I have seen other manufacturers use 'timascus' but I feel its a bit too much.

Patterned shirt + plain trousers is fine.
Plain shirt + patterned trousers is fine.
Patterned shirt + patterned trousers is too busy.

I am liking the suggestion of shredded carbon fibre.
David

fixall

Post by fixall »

Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 am
I am unsure about titanium; would it likely go with the damasteel? I have seen other manufacturers use 'timascus' but I feel its a bit too much.

Dense Twist Damasteel, Titanium, and Timascus to give you an idea of the looks. Timascus is very expensive material.

I’m very much for having a premium material to match the premium blade, but I think titanium might take the cost a bit too high. I too would like a nice shred carbon fiber (or natural wood) and think they would keep the cost somewhat reasonable.

I’d be curious to hear how much more titanium would add to the cost over carbon fiber shred or natural wood though. Other than the raw material cost, I wonder if the man hours for machining is drastically different. I imagine the extra work (and wear on machinery) it takes to grind s110v adds to the cost of those knives on top of the higher steel costs. At least Damasteel isn’t so hard on machinery (although I believe it’s a bit more expensive than s110v as a raw material).
Last edited by fixall on Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

fixall wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:11 am
Superfool wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 am

Dense Twist Damasteel, Titanium, and Timascus to give you an idea of the looks. Timascus is very expensive material.

I’m very much for having a premium material to match the premium blade (as far as steels go, Damasteel is also very expensive), but I think titanium might take the cost a bit too high. I too would like a nice shred carbon fiber (or natural wood) and think they would keep the cost somewhat reasonable.

I’d be curious to hear how much more titanium would add to the cost over carbon fiber shred or natural wood though. Other than the raw material cost, I wonder if the man hours for machining is drastically different.
Yes. I too would like some sort if an idea how much more the jnife would be with the various options you mentioned.

What do we all think about a dark hard wood handle?
David