The DAMAUKPK Project: Damasteel UK Penknife UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: The DAMAUKPK Project: Damasteel UK Penknife UKPK

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Superfool wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:48 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:22 am
Very excited for this!
Which?
both!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:35 pm
Asking for Damasteel UKPK getting an Urban.
Honestly, after all the time spent, I was a bit gutted about this. The UKPK is my favourite UK-legal carry. ZT and Benchmade have tried to follow suit, but they are weak efforts in my opinion.
Gsg9 wrote:
Might wait for the Damasteel UKPK, bigger and better made in Golden.
Absolutely. I just can't get into the Urban.
Gsg9 wrote:
LC200N UKPK was brilliant so it's worth the wait.
I am loving both of mine.
Gsg9 wrote:
Might still be tempted by Damasteel Urban only if the pattern and handle combination looks really really good...
It would have to be pretty great though.
And what would the price point be?
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Both!
I am only interested in this in as much as it would hopefully serve as a trial run for the UKPK. It may pave the way to the DAMAUKPK and it would give an idea of price point, appearance etc.
David

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gsg9,

Superfool asked for a Damascus UKPK. Since Damascus is complicated to do in production, I opted for Damasteel, which was more readily available. Since squeezing the Model into Golden production with the special blade and special handle was not likely, I opted to try to make it elsewhere. The best I could come up with was a Damasteel Urban with a custom handle.

The difference in the tip of the different Urbans was a couple of mm. Hardly "goofy looking" and it was only noticed by a few afi's. I'm following up to make the changes for future models, because I felt it could be improved.

It sounds like you don't like what I'm doing or the way I'm doing it?

Hi Superfool,

Sorry to disappoint you.

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm in for one, whether the few mm gets sorted out or not. Still a heck of a knife and yes, I do consider it a dress rehearsal for the UKPK and will support it accordingly. Thanks Sal!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bemo wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:19 pm
I'm in for one, whether the few mm gets sorted out or not. Still a heck of a knife and yes, I do consider it a dress rehearsal for the UKPK and will support it accordingly. Thanks Sal!
+1. The Urbans have really grown on me with the HH variants in use. I wish I hadn’t let go my BB Elmax, 2 K390’s and AEB-L versions now…

To be fair the HH s30v frn version was inexpensive enough, unlike the others, to Dremel a precautionary slot in the reverse of the pivot pin*. That won’t be necessary with g10 scales.

*Interestingly, the pivot from the donor, very used, Squeak had a groove worn in it, I guess from the blade wearing against it under spring compression.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This would be a user for me. Im mean I don't plan on beating on it, but a classy user.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:52 pm
Hi Superfool,
Sorry to disappoint you.
sal
Sal.

While I am disappointed with how it looks for the DAMAUKPK Project, it is not your fault. I can be quite impatient and I think I felt like 'my' idea was getting moved to the dusty ideas shelf, and all of the plan for the ukpk got put to the Urban.

I came to this forum with little to no grasp of the time frames, metals, or planning that is required. I had an idea in my head, with no plan or expertise.
I also (gradually) learned that I had very unrealistic expectations.

I dove into this project as I ended a horrible marriage, and it gave me something to focus my mind on when it wandered. I was a bit of a mess, and struggling with my life / work / mental health. I was not doing so well, and it's been a rollercoaster getting my feet back under me.

Even with all of that, you and the rest of this forum have welcomed me, listened to my ideas, helped me understand the processes, and chipped in with expertise, guidance and opinions as they were needed.

I doubt there is another forum that would be as accepting, inclusive and helpful, with you right in there, "always watching" as you say. I put 'my' idea in commas because after all the polls guidance and planning, the idea of this knife belongs more to the people of this forum than myself.

Thank you for all of your time, patience and kindness, which you continue to ll show me.

Superfool
David

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Hi Sal,

However it may sound you don't have to take it personal, I like the LC200N UK PK, I like the Millies but I don't have to like everything that and how you are doing and I don't even think that is the point, for that you have users with 10-20k plus posts on the forum chanting and praising your every post, no offense...

Probably compared to your certified afi I bought the last red Urban, if the blade was shortened the tip should have been lowered from the beginning, again, that's in my non-afi opinion.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78437&start=140#p1567754

Anyway, storm in a teacup, Sun is still shining, times are good, will wait for Damasteel UK PK, if Damasteel Urban will look good for me will consider it.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'll still try to get one, be it Urban or UKPK. Just hope the handle material is not FRN, that would just not live up to a Damasteel blade...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

archangel wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:03 am
I'll still try to get one, be it Urban or UKPK. Just hope the handle material is not FRN, that would just not live up to a Damasteel blade...
Pretty sure Sal said Ivory G10
David

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Superfool,

Sorry for your negative experience. I can relate. That's how I ended up living in a converted delivery truck. Clear your head, stand tall and move forward. That's why eyes are in the front of the head.

No Problem Gsg. Hope you like it when it comes out.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Superfool wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:17 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Both!
I am only interested in this in as much as it would hopefully serve as a trial run for the UKPK. It may pave the way to the DAMAUKPK and it would give an idea of price point, appearance etc.
well, as the saying goes, you gotta walk before you can run…

I’d love to see more damasteel sprints in general, so any movement forward is promising from my perspective.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’m reviving the discussion in this thread about a white Damasteel UKPK based on Sal’s promising comments below from the Urban lookout thread (where it doesn’t really belong). But apparently it doesn’t matter since people just keep using the Urban lookout thread. I tried…
sal wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:15 am
Thanx RS. I haven't yet see too much on the British forum that I visit (Edge Matters- great group). It was a Brit that started the project (Thanx Superfool). I may a bigger fool for having made it, but it's a nice piece. These projects in "Damascus Style" Sprints are always fun, but the cost to make them as a quality piece is high. (Sorry 'bout that). My wife, Gail, carries one all of the time. The smooth white G-10 is user friendly and probably OK to engrave, though no one I know has tried. Damasteel did a great job on the pattern and our Maniago partner also delivered a very nice piece.

I had thoughts to fulfill Superfool's original request for a UK (as Golden capacity increases) and maybe add a "Squeak" run. So I have a question for you. If there was an "Urban", "UK" and "Squeak" in the same smooth white G-10, would the same pattern be preferred? or different patterns?

sal
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

This is just SUPER EXCITING news.

I desperately want this to work and to be great.
David

Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:26 am
I’m reviving the discussion in this thread about a white Damasteel UKPK based on Sal’s promising comments below from the Urban lookout thread (where it doesn’t really belong). But apparently it doesn’t matter since people just keep using the Urban lookout thread. I tried…
sal wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:15 am
Thanx RS. I haven't yet see too much on the British forum that I visit (Edge Matters- great group). It was a Brit that started the project (Thanx Superfool). I may a bigger fool for having made it, but it's a nice piece. These projects in "Damascus Style" Sprints are always fun, but the cost to make them as a quality piece is high. (Sorry 'bout that). My wife, Gail, carries one all of the time. The smooth white G-10 is user friendly and probably OK to engrave, though no one I know has tried. Damasteel did a great job on the pattern and our Maniago partner also delivered a very nice piece.

I had thoughts to fulfill Superfool's original request for a UK (as Golden capacity increases) and maybe add a "Squeak" run. So I have a question for you. If there was an "Urban", "UK" and "Squeak" in the same smooth white G-10, would the same pattern be preferred? or different patterns?

sal

Thank you RadioactiveSpyder... Your effort did not go unnoticed! :beaming-face

And to Sal's question... I ordered the Urban a few hours ago and I'll most likely try to collect the set if it happens. I would prefer having a different Damasteel pattern on each. The same, but different... Doubly unique!
•• Beau
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Superfool wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:21 pm
This is just SUPER EXCITING news.

I desperately want this to work and to be great.

Not trying to be confrontational, but somebody on the Damasteel Urban lookout thread didn't seem particularly excited about the £332 = $430 local dealer price.

We have war and sanctions in Europe, that translates into costs, I'm currently paying +2EUR per litre for Diesel, gas and electricity already went up and will probably further go up, food will be going up (Ukraine and Russia are large exporters of grain and sunflower seed products), real inflation will probably hit 10%.

So give it another two good years like this one until it's made and how super excited will you be for a £400 Damasteel UK-PK at your local UK dealer

Maybe they'll sell well in US, non-locking non-threatening slip-joints designed for restrictive UK market look well beside AR15s Glocks Uzis and Benelli M4s
Matus

Post by Matus »

G, people often get excited about products they later (for one or another reason) don't buy. Nothing wrong about that. I agree that Damasteel UKPK is going to cost more than the Urban. At this price the knife is safely deep inside luxury category - most will end up in collections and in YT videos and IG posts, very few will get normal use. So what?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

It has ended up costing more than hoped, but then world events have changed since I started this thread.

I guess if you dont like the price, then dont buy it.
David

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Matus, so what indeed, not much, just talking...

But we're talking about slip-joints designed for restrictive UK market that are not affordable in UK market. I doubt that all excited guys in here (no names, just generally speaking) will spend that much on a PK.

And they are somehow affordable - see the price difference 280$ versus 430$ - in The Land of All Sub-Machine Guns

If that's not funny then I don't know what is :grin-big eyes