Got first Spyderco, somewhat disappointed...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FlyingMoose

Re: Got first Spyderco, somewhat disappointed...

Post by FlyingMoose »

I re-lubed it with the silicone oil and I'll keep working it, I hope it improves soon...
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

I'm wondering if the exotic steel is so hard that it doesn't glide properly and that's why it's so rough.

I realize that Spyderco needs breaking in and I knew that going into it, but I wish it would start getting better instead of worse, it's discouraging...
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

I've been watching YouTube reviews and working on a list of other Spyderco knives I'd like to get:

Techno 2
Pacific Salt (smooth edge, yellow)
Shaman (with beige micartis handle)
Para 2 (camo with black blade)

And maybe the Spyderco sharpener (I currently have a kitchen knife sharpener but it might be nice to have something a bit more professional)

But my enthusiasm has been dampened a bit by my experience so far. I really hope someone can tell me how to fix this. And I hope I'm able to post in real-time soon, it takes a really long time for my posts to be approved...
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The Native doesn't have the hump,like the D4,and that lowers the hole almost in line with the pivot.This is way it's harder to open.Like on the Sebenza,the thumb motion should be an arc,not a straight line,and it takes a little practice to develop the right muscle memory.Give it time,don't hurry so much,like she said.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:23 am
The Native doesn't have the hump,like the D4,and that lowers the hole almost in line with the pivot.This is way it's harder to open.Like on the Sebenza,the thumb motion should be an arc,not a straight line,and it takes a little practice to develop the right muscle memory.Give it time,don't hurry so much,like she said.
It's difficult to open even with two hands, I wouldn't mind if I can't flip it open with my thumb, I'd just like to use it normally.
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

I've washed it again with WD-40 and a bunch more black stuff came out, and I oiled it with cutting board oil. It's really locked down where I live because of COVID so I can't go to the hardware store and get grease or anything. It seems a lot better than the silicone oil (which is odd because it's a lot thinner). It's easier to open (I can actually do it with my thumb!) but it's still feels rough, like the metal surface is not smooth...

Maybe I should try olive oil? Like I said, I don't have a lot of different types of oil to try...
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

I've been opening and closing it and it's drastically easier now, but it still feels gritty. Any ideas for how to fix this? Should I rinse it with WD-40 again?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Which version of the Native 5 did you get?

Seems to me that with back locks in particular they require a bit more breaking in than other lock types because there's so much metal to metal contact while opening the blade. The lock bar needs to wear itself to the shape of the blade tang, and an hour fiddling with it probably won't get you there. This isn't one of those "sticking up for Spyderco" fanboy moments, that's just how it is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

FlyingMoose wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:57 am

Maybe I should try olive oil? Like I said, I don't have a lot of different types of oil to try...
Don’t use olive oil, it can go rancid. And again, maybe give it some time and try an appropriate lube once you can get hold of some. Most of all, don’t be discouraged!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

FlyingMoose wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:16 am
I've been opening and closing it and it's drastically easier now, but it still feels gritty. Any ideas for how to fix this? Should I rinse it with WD-40 again?
It couldn't hurt. You might need to do it a couple times. If it's working, you're on the right track, so that's good news.
FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:29 am
It's the one with natural-colored G10 and a black blade, it looks really amazing.

When I'm able, I'll send it to Spyderco for a full service. Looks like it's pretty reasonable at $25.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

FlyingMoose wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:01 am
I'm not sure how long it will take my messages to get approved by a moderator...

I've been sitting opening and closing it, and it's really grinding hard, almost like I'm filing something. It takes a lot of strength to move it.

I'm hoping it will get easier soon.
I have multiple Natives, both G10 and LW.. not a single one of them came out of the box with any level of grinding or grittiness. Stiff is one thing, but that grinding you describe is not normal. If I were you, I'd send the knife in to Spyderco to get it looked at.. Mistakes happen at the factory, and it's an inconvenience for sure, but Spyderco has been known to make things right for their customers.. I'd send the knife in and give them the chance to make it right before allowing yourself to be soured to the brand. The Native is a great first Spyderco btw (well, under normal circumstances..)! Welcome to the forum! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:47 am
FlyingMoose wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:01 am
I'm not sure how long it will take my messages to get approved by a moderator...

I've been sitting opening and closing it, and it's really grinding hard, almost like I'm filing something. It takes a lot of strength to move it.

I'm hoping it will get easier soon.
I have multiple Natives, both G10 and LW.. not a single one of them came out of the box with any level of grinding or grittiness. Stiff is one thing, but that grinding you describe is not normal. If I were you, I'd send the knife in to Spyderco to get it looked at.. Mistakes happen at the factory, and it's an inconvenience for sure, but Spyderco has been known to make things right for their customers.. I'd send the knife in and give them the chance to make it right before allowing yourself to be soured to the brand. The Native is a great first Spyderco btw (well, under normal circumstances..)! Welcome to the forum! :)
My experience has been the same with both g10 and lw natives: stiff, needing a break-in period, yes sometimes. But never grinding. I agree, send it back or send it in to spyderco.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

FlyingMoose wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:36 am
Evil D wrote:
It's the one with natural-colored G10 and a black blade, it looks really amazing.
The BladeHQ exclusive?

It's strange that your first Spyderco is a discontinued, high demand exclusive. And you bought it on eBay? Are you certain it's genuine?

Honestly, I think that in your situation (where returns are a huge headache if at all) I'd _definitely_ stick to buying from reputable (and factory authorized) retailers.
Last edited by TomAiello on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea I'd like to see some pictures of it. I was quite surprised to hear that this was the model he had. Pretty awesome first Spyderco to have if it's indeed genuine!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

OP said he got it from Ebay.

FlyingMoose, have you tried mineral oil? That is a good lubricant and is food safe as well, and much better than silicone for lubrication on metal to metal surfaces. Vaseline will work as well and will protect the blade.
I also suspect do to its long travels around the world that there might be some surface rust causing the grittiness.
Last edited by JRinFL on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Duplicate post.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I don't think it's very common for the golden exclusives to be faked, is it? But if it was bought on ebay then returning it might not be an option. If that's the case, I'd bite the bullet and send it spyderco for a workover. Or I'd take it apart and clean it, but that's just me - I certainly wouldn't recommend that to anyone not 100% confident.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:34 am
FlyingMoose wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:36 am
Evil D wrote:
The BladeHQ exclusive?

It's strange that your first Spyderco is a discontinued, high demand exclusive. And you bought it on eBay? Are you certain it's genuine?

Honestly, I think that in your situation (where returns are a huge headache if at all) I'd _definitely_ stick to buying from reputable (and factory authorized) retailers.
I don’t see a lot of exclusives being counterfeited, in general. Just did a quick search on eBay and I don’t see any of this exclusive that strike me as counterfeit. So I don’t think it super likely that OP got ripped off. Hopefully for OP he got a genuine knife with a little bit of an issue. But I will echo so many others here and say send it to Spyderco if you’re not happy. They’ll go their level best to make you a happy customer.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Was it advertised as being factory new on eBay? Or used?

I think I'd suck it up and send it in to Spyderco. I wouldn't take it apart before doing that.