Blade HQ copper rex45 pm2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Danke

Re: Blade HQ copper rex45 pm2

Post by Danke »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:12 pm
Danke wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:10 pm
Hey Danke, off topic but are you wearing the wrong trousers? :p :D
Fantastic for walkies!
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

Molle Ninja wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:08 pm
SSD_777 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:08 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:35 pm
I was just told by a collector club member that these scales were made by flytanium. Can anyone confirm?
I very highly doubt that Spyderco would put Chinese garbage on a knife coming out of the Golden facility.
As opposed to the Sharpmaker, the Byrd line, and cheaper Spyderco-branded knives that come from China? I’m sure those are kept far, far away from the Golden facility.
The inexpensive models aren't made in USA, so of course Golden has to QC them after being manufactured in China, they do the same to the Taiwan models as well. Spyderco isn't going to import Chinese copper scales and slap them on a made in USA product. The Sharpmaker is also made in USA. Looks like you missed my point!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The PM 2 is not my favorite-, but still a model I like a lot.

And the more I look at this very special version, the more it appeals to me. I´d especially love to see it getting looked more used, patina´d, personal... both on blade and handle over time. But then I perhaps would not carry such a - let´s face it - undeniable heavy folder often enough to encourage that "aging-process".

Anyway, it would have been very hard to grab one especially here in Europe - that makes it easier to renounce it :)

Congrats to everyone who managed to get one! Enjoy it! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bigjimsax wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 am
Got one and they are still available. My first spyderco, I’m excited and thanks for the information posts.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Now that´s an unusual, but certainly great and special first Spyderco! Congrats!

How do you like it so far? Planning on getting a regular G10 model too for "light carry days" (it has about only half the weight of the copper version)?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bigjimsax

Post by Bigjimsax »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:20 am
Bigjimsax wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 am
Got one and they are still available. My first spyderco, I’m excited and thanks for the information posts.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Now that´s an unusual, but certainly great and special first Spyderco! Congrats!

How do you like it so far? Planning on getting a regular G10 model too for "light carry days" (it has about only half the weight of the copper version)?
Thanks for the welcome and yes it’s definitely not a typical first knife of a brand. I saw it on YouTube then got caught up in the hype of this forum and needed to have it. I’m excited to try out Rex 45, haven’t had a non stainless before. I plan to carry it a lot, I have small rotation of other knives but I have a feeling I’ll chose it often. I think this will be my PM2 for a while and look at others, you all have me interested in the Manix and Natives.

It shipped out yesterday so I will update you when I get it. Thanks again!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Got mine in today. It is the exact brick of pocket knife I was expecting and I couldn’t be any happier!!! (Unless it were a Lil Native in this combo ;))

-Nick :bug-red
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Planning on getting a regular G10 model too for "light carry days" (it has about only half the weight of the copper version)?
With all the enthusiasm for the copper scales, and the concern about weight, Im surprised no one is talking about plating some G10 or other plastic. You'd get the copper "look" without any of the weight. The question I have would be regarding durability. But in my mind, it might look pretty cool if the copper wore through, revealing patches of black material underneath.

I've plated plenty of metallic parts, but never considered getting the stuff to do non-conductive materials. Surely in this diverse group, we already have someone who has this type of knowledge.
Danke

Post by Danke »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Planning on getting a regular G10 model too for "light carry days" (it has about only half the weight of the copper version)?
With all the enthusiasm for the copper scales, and the concern about weight, Im surprised no one is talking about plating some G10 or other plastic. You'd get the copper "look" without any of the weight. The question I have would be regarding durability. But in my mind, it might look pretty cool if the copper wore through, revealing patches of black material underneath.

I've plated plenty of metallic parts, but never considered getting the stuff to do non-conductive materials. Surely in this diverse group, we already have someone who has this type of knowledge.
I predict that would look like the plasti-chrome on a 90s candybar phone. Nasty to look at and nothing special to hold.

Now for a "nice" version imagine a Raffir Noble PM2 with let's say a Z-Max blade.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Another shot with some other copper friends.

qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

Great picture Nick, Thanks for staging it so well for us. Since you include so many other copper "friends" I'm thinking you may have some equally great insight into the care and feeding of these beauties for us. Any tips on what you plan or may suggest for us? My initial thought is to preserve the finish but the consistent coloring your other items maintain as they darken is catching my eye. Thanks, Dan
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 pm

I highly doubt that it is possible. G10 is non conductive, you can't make it into a kathode in any way. Unless....you would paint it with some metallic paint, which has metallic particles and it would be somewhat conductive and then you could try plate it....IMO, two months of use, and the plating will be gone.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:08 pm
I highly doubt that it is possible.
That's ok. I can do a lot of things that most people don't understand.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:52 am
Pancake wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:08 pm
I highly doubt that it is possible.
That's ok. I can do a lot of things that most people don't understand.
Like I said earlier, you had to paint it first with conductive metallic paint and then plate it.

But then again, how durable this kind of finish would be, that is another question.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Danke

Post by Danke »

You can Plastic Chrome Plate, Vacuum Metatlize, Spray Chrome, use a Chrome Film, or Paint Chrome.

But these are all cosmetic finishes. Not working ones.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

This will probably make some people here cringe. All I wanted was the blade. Going to try to find a new home for the frame.

Time for some reassignment surgery.

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:50 pm
This will probably make some people here cringe. All I wanted was the blade. Going to try to find a new home for the frame.

[img] https://i.imgur.com/7BxTg7Lg.jpg [mg]

[img] https://i.imgur.com/PAZgZyHg.jpg [mg]

[img ]https://i.imgur.com/ghjQ17ag.jpg [mg]

[img] https://i.imgur.com/sCIqVRmg.jpg [mg]

[img] https://i.imgur.com/4vKldD6g.jpg [mg]

Time for some reassignment surgery.
[img] https://i.imgur.com/Mv3vESX.jpg [mg]

[img] https://i.imgur.com/Cy516jM.jpg [mg]
That's a cool swap, Rinzler! Also, sent you a PM. :)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Rinzler wrote:

Yeah, just a lot less copper and a lot more FRN and you have a winner.
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

Thanks for sharing pics of the inards. I put Flytanium copper scales on my Waved edition PM2 and that beefy gal needs a friend. Can't wait for mine to arrive!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Rinzler wrote:
All I wanted was the blade. Going to try to find a new home for the frame.
I didn't read your text at first because the I really wanted to see the cutouts in the scales, scrolling I was thinking the S45VN Copper combo was what you were going for but those were the discards! haha All combos of these two knives are great to me I guess
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hmm...nowhere near as much internal milling as I was expecting. Seeing how the lockbar is inset is very cool. The grooves to help it from twisting is a really nice touch.

I came to this thread to ask someone to open theirs up. So thank you Rinzler.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra