Blade HQ copper rex45 pm2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cheeseheaded

Re: Blade HQ copper rex45 pm2

Post by cheeseheaded »

Antimicrobial?...Yep. Microbes can remain viable on steel for long periods, but copper releases ions that poke holes in microbes such as bacteria and also destroy viruses at the molecular level.

So...this knife is a knife, and the handle of this knife releases many tiny ionic knives. Meta?

Heavy?...yes, but also deadly ninja assassin of microbes. Guess it might be suspender time.

For the Metal Heads:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180974655/

https://theconversation.com/copper-is-g ... o%20copper.
Danke

Post by Danke »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:36 pm
Danke wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm
I have a copper flashlight and it's pretty neat and looks cool but I don't carry it a lot since it's single AAA and tends to egress my pocket resulting in a search in the tall grass.

And as always copper (and other knife metals) don't smell. What you can smell is the chemical reaction between body chemistry and the material. To smell copper the material would have to sublimate at room temperature which doesn't happen. What your nose is picking up is good old fashioned body odor.
I was wondering about that. I have big spools of copper wire that I use to keep slugs off my veggie plants, and I've never noticed a smell.
It's probably like the deal where for some people they can't taste cilantro. Instead they the get the taste of soapy water.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:07 am
I tried the Flytanium Ti scales on my PM2 and immediately knew the weight killed it for me. I'm definitely out on this one, but am stoked to see them doing a liner delete with internal milling. This is one step closer to two PM2s I dream of, FRN and integral Ti. Always glad to see more REX45 as well.

Please wake me up when the PM2 FRN with wire clip drops :)
If Spyderco ever makes another Ti integral comp lock knife I'm buying it, regardless of model. Do that on a Sage or Lil' Native with an LC200N blade, and I might be camping in the SFO parking lot to get one. :p
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I saw this. I do not care for copper. It stinks and it is heavy. It is also very soft and will deform. Bronze would have been better as it is stronger. Brass is nicer, also.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If cost and weight were no objects, a scale made from textured “Magic Gold” would be great. This is pure 24 carat gold reinforced with microscopic boron nitride fibers throughout. The resulting composite looks like pure gold (the matrix) but is as hard as stainless steel, thanks to the fibers. Hublot uses this in watch cases.

https://www.hublot.com/en-us/craftsmans ... -materials

I love exotic materials, but FRN and G-10 are affordable and work so very well for practical folder handles that it’s hard to get excited about fancy stuff that works less well. Kevlar-epoxy composite would be excellent, very stiff and lightweight. However, it is awful to machine, so laid and pressed in a mold would probably be more practical.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It will probably become a highly collectable cult model. :)

For me it is too heavy and too smelly, and I like metal (ti) handles!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The pm2 is at the very end of this video. It sounds like it was a real PITA to make, and pretty unlikely they're gonna do other runs or other models in this configuration.

https://youtu.be/4xc0bkr8kTw
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nice looking and I´d love the wear it will show over time.

WAY too heavy though for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

My first impressions jump all over. Part of me is intrigued, another part is repulsed. I'll probably solve the problem by deciding to just save money. The idea interests me. I would have to fool with it to know if I give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

I'm with Doc Dan about liking brass or better yet maybe, bronze better.

As I remember copper is fussy (i.e. a pain in the rump) to machine and brass machines very nicely. I'll bet the Spyderco crew could tell us a lot about this!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Danke wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm
And as always copper (and other knife metals) don't smell. What you can smell is the chemical reaction between body chemistry and the material. To smell copper the material would have to sublimate at room temperature which doesn't happen. What your nose is picking up is good old fashioned body odor.
Finally! Thanks for a sensible explanation. I have been here reading all of this, thinking, "how in the world can a metal stink?, it just doesn't make sense!" And it indeed doesn't. Your explanation does make sense. It is something involving sweat, skin, and copper. Sounds like a rich field for scientific study.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

You can smell the reaction, it can react with other things in the environment, it doesnt have to be your body. But since its something youre handling, that is probably the culprit.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It does not matter if the stink comes from the metal or the reaction with your hand, it still reeks like old pennies!! ;)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

It's solid copper handle, no liners...
How did they attach the stainless steel compression lock tab to the copper handle without liners?
With rivets?

Just curious
🤔
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

AlexRus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:33 am
How did they attach the stainless steel compression lock tab to the copper handle without liners?
With rivets?

Just curious
🤔
I would bet that the liner is held place with screws and standoffs. Para 3 LW is also screw construction, this is similar, it only has lock tab.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:51 am
AlexRus wrote:
With rivets?

Just curious
🤔
I would bet that the liner is held place with screws and standoffs. Para 3 LW is also screw construction, this is similar, it only has lock tab.
Hmmm... Maybe...
Anyway we should figure iy it out soon, after someone get it in hands)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

AlexRus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:38 am
Pancake wrote:
AlexRus wrote:
With rivets?

Just curious
🤔
Hmmm... Maybe...
Eric explains it a bit in the video I linked above.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:03 am
AlexRus wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:38 am
Pancake wrote:
AlexRus wrote:
With rivets?

Just curious
🤔
Hmmm... Maybe...
Eric explains it a bit in the video I linked above.
Thanks!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

If you pause the video it appears that the lockbar extends pretty far rearward the to the first screw behind the pivot, which is consistent with what Eric said in the video about it being constructed like the para 3 lw.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Year ago, when I still had my PM2 (I gave it to my dad), I was thinking about titanium scales.
The way Spyderco does these copper scales are whole another class above that anybody is putting on market right now. Titanium PM2 done like this would be all the rage, pair it with a nice steel (4V, Cru-Wear, 20CV) and you have a hit!

But like others said, brass would be better than copper, but on the other hand, BladeHQ must known what they are doing.

I have a feeling that we will see PM2 like this one in the future, but with different materials

One more thought: I think this could be a test bed for PM2 with only lock tab liner......and we will see Lightweight PM2 made from FRN and only with lock tab in the future.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:16 pm
...I think this could be a test bed for PM2 with only lock tab liner......and we will see Lightweight PM2 made from FRN and only with lock tab in the future.
From your lips to Spyderco’s ears!