S30V Support Club

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

S30V Support Club

Post by SG89 »

So S30V gets picked on a lot bc it's not the latest and greatest... Feel free to share your support for the vanilla ice cream of steels.

Reasons why I don't hate S30V:
Cheaper than some other steels
Easy to sharpen
Corrosion resistant enough for me
It's never chipped on me
It's the default steel/aka no other choice available if I want to try a new design
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Re: S30V Support Club

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hard to argue against those points SG. I completely agree with them using it for a new design as well. It makes perfect sense for them to use it (as I'm sure their well aware of) If the design turns out to be a flop, then at least they don't have thousands of knives sitting around going unsold in some kind of premium steel.

I personally have no issue with it either, and never hesitate to try a new design just because "it's only S30V" Sometimes I actually prefer it if I'm going to be using a knife and knowing I'll only have a few minutes on the stones before using it again or having something else to do.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

After carrying LC200N for the last 2+ months, I miss the edge retention of S30V. I’ve started to carry my first PM2 in S30V as well as the Kapara.

There’s a lot I really love about the Siren but not needing that level of corrosion resistance has me wanting it in S30V.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I love vanilla ice cream...

S30V ain’t bad either.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The problem isnt the steel. The problem is having too many knives lying around, and then thinking you need variety in steel/handle material/whatever else to justify the next purchase.

At least for me anyway. And I am definitely guilty of saying I wished a different steel was chosen sometimes.

S30v works just fine. Vareity is also nice. If Im buying based on design Im fine with it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Nothing wrong with S30V at all, it is a great steel! Welcome to 2020!
Josh
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Not a bad steel, I just have too many in that steel.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Vanilla is my favorite flavor!

But, I'll take VG-10 as my Vanilla.

LC200N is my fancy Vanilla with a salted caramel swirl.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Like I've said before, it's "painfully average". I think most people just want something they feel is more exciting, more exotic, more exclusive even if the technical numbers suggest that S30V is as good or better than those other steels. These days buying a knife is just as much about what steel you're buying with it and when it's a "base steel" that tends to make a knife feel less special. Steel options are another way that a lot of people justify their purchases, so when they look at their collection and they have 10 knives all in S30V and they can most likely all do the exact same job, you start nitpicking the details and you look for more variety anywhere you can find it. VG10 gets the same treatment when it's really a fantastic steel. Of all the hobbies I've been a part of, I must say knife AFI's are definitely some of the most jaded and fickle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have become an S30V admirer and supporter.

I like the cool exotic hot new steels as much as the next guy, but there is by no means anything wrong with S30V.

It may be more "well balanced" than some of the "well balanced" steels that get talked about in that way.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

If it had a name change to V03S it would be the latest and greatest.

Like it and find it a good steel for knives have several knives from several makers in S30V and S35V

H1 seems to get a bit lately but it’s another steel I like and have used for over 10-15 years and only the other day watch a video with about a 12 year old saying how bad it is compared to the new kid on the block
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:04 pm
The problem isnt the steel. The problem is having too many knives lying around, and then thinking you need variety in steel/handle material/whatever else to justify the next purchase.

At least for me anyway. And I am definitely guilty of saying I wished a different steel was chosen sometimes.

S30v works just fine. Vareity is also nice. If Im buying based on design Im fine with it.
Same. I love the edge stability of 4v, cruwear, etc, but S30v never deters me from buying a knife if I like the design. I just don't generally like the black (or camo or black carbon fiber) scales that often come with it. I was quite happy to buy the teal dragonfly with s30v, but I would not have bought one with black frn. Similarly, I seriously doubt I'll be able to tell much of a difference btw s30v and s45vn after long-term use, but I'd much rather have the diamond arc green scales on the pm2 than boring black ones.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like S30V. I’ve had no problems with it. I’ve owned knives in S30V since 2002. The fact that it isn’t the “latest-greatest” doesn’t bother me at all.

I also still like VG-10 after probably 20+ years.

Jim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The s30v Seki models don't seem to have any trouble selling. :)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

TomAiello wrote: The s30v Seki models don't seem to have any trouble selling. :)
Frn s30v Seki models sure.
G10 s30v Seki models do not do well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I like S30V just fine. It fulfills all my needs in a high quality pocket knife steel. So does BD1N. I actually prefer those because of the attributes SpyderGirl noted. I won’t buy a knife because it has the fashionable steel of the moment. In fact, I stay away from them.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

We’re spoiled for choice, is all.

As far as pocket knives go I could happily live the rest of my days with only an S30V Military and a H1, SE HB Ladybug. Unless of course I was abducted by Aliens and needed to cut my way out of the spaceship’s hull to escape. In which case I’d be wishing I’d carried my S110V Military. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 pm
Unless of course I was abducted by Aliens and needed to cut my way out of the spaceship’s hull to escape. In which case I’d be wishing I’d carried my S110V Military. :eek:
You'd definitely need Maxamet for that.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:19 pm
Bloke wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 pm
Unless of course I was abducted by Aliens and needed to cut my way out of the spaceship’s hull to escape. In which case I’d be wishing I’d carried my S110V Military. :eek:
You'd definitely need Maxamet for that.
Ah, hahaha! I'm hearing you, Tom! :)

Killer and I have been asking for a Maxamet Military for such a situation for some time now. :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wait another few years, when the current trendy ‘super’ steels are no longer new, and other, ‘super-duper’ steels are in vogue. Then people will be saying how the current favorites are “meh,” “boring,” and “not that good.”

Jim