S30V Support Club

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: S30V Support Club

Post by Wartstein »

I´ve never been much into steels. When it comes to folders, meanwhile I am exclusively interested in Spydercos, and certainly in rather minor details, when it comes to ergos, locks, handle materials, blade shapes... but not when it comes to different steels.
Might be because concerning the listed variables (ergos and so on) it is rather easy and quick to experience differences and find out what to like more or less, but when it comes to steels it takes a lot more experience, knowledge and time to really experience the differences. AND, first and foremost: It takes a lot of actual, real USE. I sometimes wonder how on earth people who feel strongly about the differences between probably in fact pretty similar performing steels find the TIME and put the amount of USE in their often times many,many folders to come to their conclusions...

Anyway, that being said: I am totally fine with S30V. If every Spyderco I own or have ever owned would only (have) come in Spydercos S30V: Perfectly ok with me!
It holds an edge, I can sharpen it on my SM rather quickly, corrosion has never been an issue for me (in the area where I live) anyway: So nothing not to like here...
I probably prefer VG10 in my main, but not too often used EDC folders for its amazing sharpening response.
And: There certainly ARE steels that are too hard (to sharpen) for me, for example ZDP 189 (at least at the time I had it, but no CBN or diamond rods and even less sharpening skills than today).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:05 am
I´ve never been much into steels. When it comes to folders, meanwhile I am exclusively interested in Spydercos, and certainly in rather minor details, when it comes to ergos, locks, handle materials, blade shapes... but not when it comes to different steels.
Might be because concerning the listed variables (ergos and so on) it is rather easy and quick to experience differences and find out what to like more or less, but when it comes to steels it takes a lot more experience, knowledge and time to really experience the differences. AND, first and foremost: It takes a lot of actual, real USE. I sometimes wonder how on earth people who feel strongly about the differences between probably in fact pretty similar performing steels find the TIME and put the amount of USE in their often times many,many folders to come to their conclusions...

Anyway, that being said: I am totally fine with S30V. If every Spyderco I own or have ever owned would only (have) come in Spydercos S30V: Perfectly ok with me!
It holds an edge, I can sharpen it on my SM rather quickly, corrosion has never been an issue for me (in the area where I live) anyway: So nothing not to like here...
I probably prefer VG10 in my main, but not too often used EDC folders for its amazing sharpening response.
And: There certainly ARE steels that are too hard (to sharpen) for me, for example ZDP 189 (at least at the time I had it, but no CBN or diamond rods and even less sharpening skills than today).

I agree. :)

S30V is a very good general all around user steel, nothing wrong with S30V or any of the mid-range steels for that matter as they really are very close in performance to each other from what I have found over the years.

I wouldn't be upset at all if S30V was the only steel Spyderco used personally.

However I am glad that Spyderco does give us the choice to choose what steel we want in a lot of the models they offer. :cool: :spyder:
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:05 am

Great points!

Do I like other steels? Sure! But I’m perfectly fine with S30V. I actually enjoy the fact that it’s an “all-around” steel. I’m not into as many different steel types as many (most?) other knife aficionados around here. If I find a steel to be good, I don’t get bored with it. Heck, I also still carry SAKs, and a single SAK was the only knife I carried when I lived in Taiwan, and for several years after returning home (over a decade). I still like Victorinox steel. So I have no reason to be tired of Spyderco’s S30V.

Now, if I still lived in Taiwan, I might prefer a Spyderco in LC200N over S30V, for added corrosion resistance due to the constant, extremely high humidity there, especially during the summers. But otherwise, S30V has been good to me, and it’s easy enough to maintain. Since it’s proven itself on knives I’ve used a good amount, and I don’t find it lacking, then the only reason to be ‘bored’ to me are the different letters and numbers stamped on the blade. Which for me personally, is no reason at all. To each his or her own.

Jim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It's my understanding that XHP had supply issues. As I recall, Cold Steel was trying to use it as their primary blade material, and had to change because they couldn't 't source a reliable enough supply of XHP in the quantity they wanted. If I remember right, several knives that were XHP got transitioned to s35vn around that time.

There is some secondhand discussion about it in this old thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/xhp-steel.726781/
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

A lot of knife enthusiasts love traditional slip joint knives and many of them use a simple carbon 1095 steel for their blade. They sharpen up nicely and cut rather well. Sure you need to sharpen them more often but is that so bad?
S30V steel is fine all around blade steel. It is easy to get caught up in the latest and great blade steel but sometimes good enough is just that, good enough. No, I am very happy with my Lil' Native with a back lock and S30V steel.
benben

Post by benben »

I'm so embarrassed with all of my S30V knives that I pull out said knife, cut something really quick with it, than stick it back in my pocket fast so I don't accidentally see the S30V etching on the blade! Works awesome, then I pretend I just cut something with a "super steel" snob knife!

"Some" of you guys should try it! ;)
Shramp

Post by Shramp »

[/quote]
Chaparral. It's one of my favorite knives, and it's XHP.
[/quote]

I have a chaparral that I love as well so it's difficult for me to compare.

I feel that when I compare the chaparral to anything else it's really the blade geometry that I'm comparing. If I had a Slysz Bowie I suppose I'd have a better idea how I feel about XHP vs S30V.

I will say though, if it is indeed the geometry and thickness on the chaparral that makes it cut like it does, then I wish every single one of my knives was that thin. I wonder if S30V can take such a thin grind.
-Daniel
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

benben wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:47 am
I'm so embarrassed with all of my S30V knives that I pull out said knife, cut something really quick with it, than stick it back in my pocket fast so I don't accidentally see the S30V etching on the blade! Works awesome, then I pretend I just cut something with a "super steel" snob knife!

"Some" of you guys should try it! ;)
I can't pretend that S30V will not go dull halfway through the day, or that it will cut as long as K390. I tried.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i like s30v so i am joining the support club. i find it to be a great balance of everything. never had any chipping issues with it. the only issue i have and its a major one is not the s30v steel but spyderco desicion that all most base knives in s30v are only black, i have said it before if you gave me colors to choose from and kept s30v i would be happy and buy many more.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I have xhp in a Chaparrel and a Cold Steel American Lawman, amd I’ll say I very slightly prefer it to s30v. To me it sharpens just a hair better. I freehand and I can more consistently put a serious edge on xhp than s30v. I seem to get about the same edge life but like how xhp sharpens better.

S30v doesn’t stop me from getting a knife, though I will admit at one time it kind of did.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Hasn’t stopped the Ikuchi from becoming pretty much my favorite carry despite stiff competition from more esoteric steeled knives.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I wouldn’t call S30V vanilla. It’s more like S30V is cookies and cream but your local ice cream enthusiast group keeps saying they’ve moved on to rocky road.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Larrin wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:01 pm
I wouldn’t call S30V vanilla. It’s more like S30V is cookies and cream but your local ice cream enthusiast group keeps saying they’ve moved on to rocky road.
In your opinion, which steel would you consider vanilla?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:36 pm
Larrin wrote:
420 or 1095.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

All of my Spydercos are S30V (three) but I do like BD1N as well. Don’t have a reason why it might be “better”, or “worse” which, for me and folding knives is a relatively meaningless concept. All of my slip joints (5) are 1095 which I prefer in a traditionally designed pocket knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Larrin wrote:
this might be the best analogy i’ve seen on steel. btw, cookies and cream is my favorite ice cream. i do like others occasionally, but almost never more complicated.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Larrin wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:45 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:36 pm
Larrin wrote:
420 or 1095.
Lovin these analogies... :spyder: :cool: :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

The majority of my Golden Spydercos are in S30V. I have only three exceptions: my first Military in 440V, a Military in S110V, and a PM2 in S35VN. The Golden-made knives I use the most are my S30V ones. I’m not thinking, “I’m bored with S30V today, I’m hankerin’ for some variety!” I just carry and use whichever knife I feel like, whichever steel it is. Just so happens the ones I use the most tend to be in S30V, though I also use the S35VN model a decent amount, too.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Larrin wrote:

Kinda like a new smart phone that comes out every year...

Somehow last years model just stops being good all of a sudden... Even though it still does the exact same thing, works the same way as it always did. I mean they used it for a year and it worked fine right.... ;)

I mean like OMG like you just have to get (enter model here) because like (enter model here) is like so last year....
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 am
It's my understanding that XHP had supply issues. As I recall, Cold Steel was trying to use it as their primary blade material, and had to change because they couldn't 't source a reliable enough supply of XHP in the quantity they wanted. If I remember right, several knives that were XHP got transitioned to s35vn around that time.

There is some secondhand discussion about it in this old thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/xhp-steel.726781/
That is interesting, thanks for posting this. I made my flip comment that there must be something wrong becasue nobody is using XHP, and maybe there was more truth in that than I realized. Not as far as something wrong with the steel itself, but some good reason it was not being used.

I got curious and looked at XHP on the steel composition charts. It looks like a close cousin to VG10, so my thinking jumps to SPY27. It will be interesting to see how SPY27 plays out. I am waiting for it in a model that appeals to me.

Both XHP and VG10 have a lot less vanadium than S30V, so you might expect easy sharpening and less edge retention, which would be right up my alley.

The Techno uses XHP -- I've come close to buying that knife on several occasions. Thinking about it, but will probably pass once again. Tempting though.

Anyway, S30V is a nice balance. Not hard to sharpen and decent edge retention.

And no, I'm not on the smart phone bandwagon. I can't remember how many years old my Samsung S4 is. Anyway, I couldn't afford to be replacing it all the time and buying knives too, so I had to make a choice.