Canis, who waited ten years.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Na-ra Shin

Canis, who waited ten years.

Post by Na-ra Shin »

At first I saw an amazing part at the end of Kelly McCann’s video, which was released around 2009.
It was an advertisement that Canis, designed by Kelly and made by Jeremy Krammes, would be released in 2010.

I was already using the Crucible II folder, designed by Kelly, and was greatly influenced by his tactics.
So I had no choice but to be interested in Canis, and wait for it to be released on the market.

But by 2010, Canis didn’t show up.

Then I heard Ernest Emerson was making Canis.
Ernie’s Canis, released on SHOT Show, looked somewhat different from the original,
but still thought it was a design that reflected the concept of the original.

But it also became a dead project.

Tired of waiting, I ended up emailing Kelly on February 11, 2014.
And he sent me a kind reply. The end of the article was,
“Keep the faith and maybe we’ll be able to get it done!”

And today, I was rewarded with that faith.
I want to share my feelings with you through pictures.
Attachments
20200623_180548.jpg
20200623_180607.jpg
20200623_180632.jpg
20200623_180724.jpg
20200623_180827_HDR.jpg
20200623_180931.jpg
20200623_181052.jpg
20200623_181157.jpg
20200623_181335.jpg
Last edited by Na-ra Shin on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TazKristi

Re: Canis, who waited ten years.

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Na-ra Shin:
Welcome to our forum! I'm sorry, it looks like your images are perhaps blocked from sharing? Feel free to post them directly.

We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome to the forum!
I'll be sure to check out the thread once the pictures are visible :)
I'm really liking the Canis. Been thinking of getting one, but not 100% sure just yet.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Na-ra Shin

Post by Na-ra Shin »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:15 pm
I'm sorry, it looks like your images are perhaps blocked from sharing? Feel free to post them directly.
DutchBlades wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:27 pm
I'll be sure to check out the thread once the pictures are visible :)
Thank you, everyone.
I just uploaded the picture directly.

This place is different from the universal Internet community environment in South Korea,
so I didn't know how to use it.
Last edited by Na-ra Shin on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm just not seeing it. The grip looks comfortable if held in one position/grip. The top bevel confuses me though. Is there a reason for it?

That old Blackhawk looks NIB. I remember those. Anyways, glad for you. It's always nice getting something you have waited a long time for. Enjoy. Spyderco's are made to be used a lot for a long time. No need to keep them unused. I have a couple still going strong from the early to middle 90's. They will outlast me. :)

Joe
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Na-ra-Sin,

Welcome to our forum.

You've been waiting for a long time. I hope our piece earns the respect of your patience. we always try to capture the "spirit' of the design. Michael, who is a friend of Kelly, has helped each step of the way to make sure we could do it. We think we're there.

sal
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Hello and welcome Na-ra Shin!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:32 pm
I'm just not seeing it. The grip looks comfortable if held in one position/grip. The top bevel confuses me though. Is there a reason for it?
Weight reduction while still leaving reinforcement near the tip?

That's my guess, anyway.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The last issue of the Spyderco byte e-newsletter explains the design of the Canis in detail, including the mid-blade swedge:

https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-byte-may-2020

Interestingly, Spyderco has actually done a mid-blade swedge before--on the Breeden Rescue.

It seemed much less controversial then...

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Na-Ra Shin:

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Spyderco forum!

Kelly approached me with the Canis when I was running BlackHawk's two knife brands, approximately 2008. We had already successfully launched the original made-in-Japan Crucible series (folder, folder trainer, and fixed blade) and were working on the more affordably priced Crucible II that you have. Just as we started to get the project rolling, BlackHawk shut down their US knife production and eliminated my position, so functionally there was no management of their knife brands. Fortunately, Kelly hadn't signed a contract yet, so I advised him to find another manufacturer and suggested Emerson. Sadly, that relationship didn't work out.

I'm honored to get Kelly's design into production after so many years, and even more proud to do it under the Spyderco name, with Spyderco quality.

I hope your Canis serves you well!

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I actually get the design and think it is smart. I am not into tactical type knives anymore, but this would be a top choice for a self defense knife, I would think.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It depends on who you are speaking to. :)

I'm not sure that controversial is how I'd describe it though. It's just a matter of liking or maybe just finding useful . We are all different in our needs and likes but I've never been against the idea of knives that didn't do it for me. I just realize I can not buy them all and no longer try.
I actually get the design and think it is smart. I am not into tactical type knives anymore, but this would be a top choice for a self defense knife, I would think.
If I had to pick a knife to defend myself with it would be the one that I had the most carry time with and with the best muscle memory and confidence in. In other words my Endura. Not to different from the way I'd select a firearm for self defense purposes. If the above was it, sure. The times I've tried knives made for self defense they never really suited me so now I guess I don't bother looking for that kind of answer.

joe
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:20 am
It depends on who you are speaking to. :)

I'm not sure that controversial is how I'd describe it though. It's just a matter of liking or maybe just finding useful . We are all different in our needs and likes but I've never been against the idea of knives that didn't do it for me. I just realize I can not buy them all and no longer try.
If I had to pick a knife to defend myself with it would be the one that I had the most carry time with and with the best muscle memory and confidence in. In other words my Endura. Not to different from the way I'd select a firearm for self defense purposes. If the above was it, sure. The times I've tried knives made for self defense they never really suited me so now I guess I don't bother looking for that kind of answer.

joe
Hey Joe,

Not to derail this thread, but if you ever want a self defense knife that's comparable to your Endura...take a look at the Matriarch 2. Same handle as the Endura. Just in case you didn't know or haven't looked before.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Not to derail this thread, but if you ever want a self defense knife that's comparable to your Endura...take a look at the Matriarch 2. Same handle as the Endura. Just in case you didn't know or haven't looked before.
Thanks. Yes, I have one. It sits in it's box because it isn't as useful to me for daily carry. I guess I'm just not in to dedicated self defense knives like I used to be. Self defense is why I carry a firearm. If I couldn't I'd still carry the Endura. I can use that thing in the dark or with my eyes closed now after all those years of use. Just like the pistol I carried at work for 30 years and the rifle I used in the military. I'm just set in my ways. :)

I really am not suggesting the Canis isn't good at what it's designed for or trying to speak about what is right for anybody else. I have enough experience with edged/pointed weapon use and their effects to know everything I need to know for me but I don't have the faintest what other people should like and find useful. That isn't my job and never will be.
Na-ra Shin

Post by Na-ra Shin »

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for welcoming me.
The Mastiff wrote:
That old Blackhawk looks NIB.
That's right.
I bought it as a spare in the past.
sal wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 pm
You've been waiting for a long time. I hope our piece earns the respect of your patience. we always try to capture the "spirit' of the design.
Sal, I am truly happy that Canis saw the light of the world through Spyderco.
I think Spyderco creates the most reasonable outcome for real users.
I sincerely wish you good health.
Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:31 am
Mike, thank you for letting me know a part of history.
Among the various folders I carried while serving in the Navy, there is also Be-Wharned, which you designed.
I'm always sorry that 'that company' has ended the chronicle of experts that has been going on since MOD days.
I wish you a good success.
Na-ra Shin

Post by Na-ra Shin »

The Mastiff wrote:
The top bevel confuses me though. Is there a reason for it?
This article will also help. https://www.pressreader.com/usa/knives- ... 7930974124
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Na-ra Shin wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:39 pm
I just uploaded the picture directly.
Great! Hope you like the Canis and you'll enjoy your time on the forum!
(I have to warn you though... You will be tempted to buy more and more Spydies the longer you stick around :p )
Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:16 am
The last issue of the Spyderco byte e-newsletter explains the design of the Canis in detail, including the mid-blade swedge:
Interestingly, Spyderco has actually done a mid-blade swedge before--on the Breeden Rescue.
Stay safe,
Mike
The Captain and Breeden Rescue flew under the radar for a lot of people.
All I know is I'm a sucker for that swedge and will hopefully get a Canis one of these days!

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Na-ra Shin

Post by Na-ra Shin »

DutchBlades wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:03 am
(I have to warn you though... You will be tempted to buy more and more Spydies the longer you stick around :p )
Actually, I've been a Spyderco user for about 10 years.
We were already floundering together in Spyder-****!