McBee Owners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marshmallow

McBee Owners

Post by marshmallow »

Been really fantasized with this little knife. Any McBee owners have a take on the knife? Is it worth the pricing point? How's the usage? Also, anyone know when it will restock?
"stay puft."
SpyderNut

Re: McBee Owners

Post by SpyderNut »

I really like it. I have large hands (size XL in men’s gloves), but it fits me very well despite its diminutive size. I think the generous handle edge chamfering and rounded edges on the spine of the blade helps a lot. It’s fairly easy to open and close one-handed and it disappears in a pocket when carried loose. I generally clip it to the inside of my waistband and forget that it’s even there. I’d certainly recommend getting one, especially if you’re interested in smaller knives. Here’s a quick pic I took while on vacation earlier this spring:

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Oh wow that's beautiful! Thank you for the photo. I don't have big hands and I work mainly in industrial settings, so this may be a good handy tool knife. I've read the forums here and videos online and had a question regarding the McBee. The pivot screws bulge out, I'm guessing it is aided for pinching the knife. The clip is very close to the screw, does it interfere with clipping into the pocket?
"stay puft."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

You’re welcome! Glad to help. Given your applications at work, I think it would work very well. The tip is thin and pointy—good for slicing or picking out splinters. To answer your question about the pivot screw, I haven’t noticed any issues with clipping or removing the knife from my waistband or pocket. The pivot screw is nicely contoured, so I believe that helps keep it from binding on the material when you’re trying to clip it or remove it from the pocket.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I absolutely love the McBee. (In fact, I love it so much I have three! :D) Easily my most carried knife this whole year. It really is a perfect little option for a coin pocket. I removed the clip on the one I carry most and tied on a fob for easier removal from my pocket. Cuts great with the wharncliffe blade and the shape of the blade really allows you to generate precise control of the tip of the knife.

Through my experience with the clip on, I never had issues with the pivot interfering. The pivot screws being proud of the scales is barely noticeable. In my opinion, it is most definitely worth the price!
-Nick :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I don't own one, but I think it's a really neat little knife. Knifejoy has some really cool custom anodized ones:

https://knifejoy.com/search.php?search_query=Mcbee
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

I absolutely love it! I work in an office so it’s a perfect little knife for opening letters and boxes, but it doesn’t “scare” people. Fit’s nicely in the watch pocket of my jeans with or without being clipped. Seemed expensive for how small it is, but once I had it in hand it was totally worth it.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Love mine! Build quality is excellent and works great IWB or riding loose in the pocket.

Compared to some other small guys...
-Turbo
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:11 am
I don't own one, but I think it's a really neat little knife. Knifejoy has some really cool custom anodized ones:

I'm not 100% certain but, i think those are customized by Mr Mcnees himself. Which makes them that much more special.
•• Beau
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:52 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:11 am

I'm not 100% certain but, i think those are customized by Mr Mcnees himself. Which makes them that much more special.
Those are done by McNees...a few others and custom clips can be found on his website too...

https://mcneescustomknives.com/shop/ols ... es/folders
-Turbo
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Looks like Spyderco restocked some items in the inventory. McBee purchased! Thanks all for the help.
"stay puft."