Knife lanyard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Red

Knife lanyard

Post by Red »

I am seeing alot of knife lanyards lately, not sure what exactly what the point is or how it works. Can someone help me out? Thanks.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: Knife lanyard

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Sometimes just for embellishment/aesthetics/fun. Sometimes they help in pulling the knife from the pocket/sheath.

Assuming you meant a fob, a real lanyard is generally a loop of cord to wrap around your hand/wrist in use, or used to tether the knife to your person or other object for security.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Adding to what PeaceInOurTime already said: Especially on very small knifes, a lanyard/fob can somewhat enhance the grip area on the handle (though of course not as well as an actually just longer handle would). Gives the pinky and potentially ring finger something to hold on

I personally only use lanyards on rather large fixed blades, there they are good for keeping the knife in your hand when chopping.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Red

Post by Red »

Got it, thanks for the info guys👍
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:57 am
Adding to what PeaceInOurTime already said: Especially on very small knifes, a lanyard/fob can somewhat enhance the grip area on the handle (though of course not as well as an actually just longer handle would). Gives the pinky and potentially ring finger something to hold on

I personally only use lanyards on rather large fixed blades, there they are good for keeping the knife in your hand when chopping.
Yes, the wrist/loop lanyards on larger fixed blades are the only ones I really use. One exception was a braided lanyard I kept on my native salt since I frequently tossed it in a dry bag, and the lanyard just made it easier to find and pull out, or attach to a carabiner.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Red

Post by Red »

I use a dry bag and thats a great point 👍
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:17 am
Wartstein wrote:

Yes, the wrist/loop lanyards on larger fixed blades are the only ones I really use. One exception was a braided lanyard I kept on my native salt since I frequently tossed it in a dry bag, and the lanyard just made it easier to find and pull out, or attach to a carabiner.
Imagerare meaningful names
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Red wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:18 am
I am seeing alot of knife lanyards lately, not sure what exactly what the point is or how it works. Can someone help me out? Thanks.
Where have you seen a lot of knife lanyards?

Personally I saw a lot of fobs but none simple lanyard here in the forums during the last weeks. :confused:
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:10 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:17 am
Wartstein wrote:

Imagerare meaningful names
Ha! Women's swimsuits don't have many places for a knife to go. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Red

Post by Red »

Peter1960 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 am
Red wrote:
Where have you seen a lot of knife lanyards?

Personally I saw a lot of fobs but none simple lanyard here in the forums during the last
weeks. :confused:
Seen several buddys with them and a few guys at work. Just something I recently noticed.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Red wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:28 am
Seen several buddys with them and a few guys at work. Just something I recently noticed.
Now I see, I thought you meant here in the forums. Thanks!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
nrajeff

Post by nrajeff »

Just a belated comment: When you're using a knife while up in the air (ladder, rooftop) or over water, a lanyard loop around your wrist can be good insurance in case you drop the knife. It can save you a trip back down to ground level, or can save you from losing your knife to the fishes.
Red

Post by Red »

As a boat mechanic that actually makes alot of sense. Just last week, lost a 1/4” Snap On ratchet in the water. Arrrggghhhh
nrajeff

Post by nrajeff »

Ouch. I know how much Snap On (and Proto) tools cost. I guess it could have been worse--could have been a 3/8 or 1/2 inch ratchet. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Red wrote:
I mainly use one of my knife lanyards anytime I'm either fishing or any time I'm around open water i.e. creek, river, lake, ocean ect. I had one Spyder fall overboard in a local lake a few years back and I swore I wasn't going to let that happen again.

Also a few years back I had a job in wetlands project up in North Missouri. That was another place I really used one of my lanyards a lot. Not only were there bodies of water there> we also had a lot of thick undergrowth and really dense forests around the wetlands. Any place you could drop a knife and lose it you'll find a lanyard a very valuable piece of equipment.