Thick handle Spyderco knives ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Signalman1

Thick handle Spyderco knives ?

Post by Signalman1 »

Hey guy just got my Shaman today two days early from what USPS tracking number gave me. So I just opened the box and the grip height is fine I just thought the knife handle would have been thicker...so my question to you experts out there which Spyderco folders have the thickest handles. Maybe I should try a Para 2/3 :rolleyes: Thanks for your input on this.

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
TkoK83Spy

Re: Thick handle Spyderco knives ?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sorry bud, but the Shaman is actually ever so slightly thicker than both the Para 3 and PM2. I just checked mine out of curiosity now that you brought it up!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The PM2 has a thinner handle than the Shaman. BladeHQ lists the PM2 as 0.46" and the Shaman as 0.53"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Vallotton is one of the thickest I can think of, off the top of my head.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nilakka or Hungarian maybe?

I remember the Manix2 backlock having thicc slabs of g10... I think those are still available maybe?
Last edited by SG89 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm
Sorry bud, but the Shaman is actually ever so slightly thicker than both the Para 3 and PM2. I just checked mine out of curiosity now that you brought it up!
Even though the scales are actually thinner, a pm2 might feel a bit thicker in hand since the scales aren't contoured like on the Shaman. I've never really compared them with that in mind, though. Maybe something with taller scales might fill the OP's hands a bit better, though? The manix xl, maybe?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:59 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm
Even though the scales are actually thinner, a pm2 might feel a bit thicker in hand since the scales aren't contoured like on the Shaman. I've never really compared them with that in mind, though. Maybe something with taller scales might fill the OP's hands a bit better, though? The manix xl, maybe?
Good point Julia! I didn't even consider the contouring of the Shaman scales. I just held them butt to butt and the Shaman is a bit thicker. When choking up the Shaman fills out my hand substantially more. When gripping behind the choil, they feel a bit more similar but I think I still have to give the nod to the Shaman. Very close though!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

If you like thick handles on a folder try to catch D'Allara 2 on secondary market ... :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Check this thread out it might help

viewtopic.php?t=52094

I already had the PPT in mind and its up there, bested by the valloton as mentioned above.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

In other news, this reassures me that the Shaman isn't too thick. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

The Magnitude is about 5/8 thick.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Take a look at the Rubicon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been preaching for thicker handles for years but people are too obsessed with pocket wafers. The models I can think of have mostly been mentioned already, unfortunately thick handles aren't really Spyderco's thing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

The Bombshell is beautifully chunky little thing!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Thickness is just one part of what makes a knife hand filling. If you want something that fills your hand, try a manix 2 xl.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Someone said manix 2 backlock... I think knifeworks still has some. I've been debating getting one but still haven't pulled the trigger.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
SG89

Post by SG89 »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:18 am
Someone said manix 2 backlock... I think knifeworks still has some. I've been debating getting one but still haven't pulled the trigger.
Thick blade and thick slabs of linerless g10. I had one. Contoured g10 would have been better IMO
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:30 am
I've been preaching for thicker handles for years but people are too obsessed with pocket wafers. The models I can think of have mostly been mentioned already, unfortunately thick handles aren't really Spyderco's thing.
This has been one of my desires as well. Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic, a Pocketknife spends most of it's life in your pocket, how well it rides in the pocket is important. Still I would love to see some thicker options.

Grizz
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gdwtvb wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:25 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:30 am
This has been one of my desires as well. Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic, a Pocketknife spends most of it's life in your pocket, how well it rides in the pocket is important. Still I would love to see some thicker options.

Grizz

Personally I don't see how adding maybe 1/8-3/16 to the overall thickness of a handle makes such a big deal. I guess if you wear skinny jeans or something? Besides the difference in weight I can't tell any significant difference in how a Shaman and a Caribbean carry, the thickness is insignificant in my pocket but makes a world of difference in my hand.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David