Hollow Grinds

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amateur blacksmith

Hollow Grinds

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I'd like to see spyderco do more hollow grinds. There is a lot to be said for a blade that doesn't get thicker behind the bevel with each sharpening. I'm not saying hollow grind everything but some HG choices would be welcome. I like the sheepsfoot Griptillian with the Spydie hole. A similar regular production Spyderco would be a welcome sight. Anyone else?
Pancake

Re: Hollow Grinds

Post by Pancake »

It depends on a hollow grind.
I would like to see hollow Grind as done on Sebenza, like a true hollow grind, where the edge it a bit thicker and then gets thinner. But you can also make it more like a flat grind, where it gets thicker right away

I hope this picture make sence....

Like, I have no idea how is hollow grind done on mass production, but I have a feeling that it is not that easy (togehter with convex grind).
Hollow grind on H1 salt should be done with two wheels on both sides, but that leaves the tip quite thin and it would look from above on tip, it is hollow.
Hollow grind on like a Gayle Bradley 2 is done different, but I have no idea how they made it.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

As long as it's a high hollow, I'm in.

Not a fan of low hollows, like the Fradon Manix.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In my uneducated opinion, a hollow grind requires an extra step in manufacturing that increases the cost of making a blade. Flat grinds allow us to enjoy more affordable products.

A hollow grind appeals to me not for edge retention and cutting, but the shear beauty (pun intended). The gleam of a hollow grind is eye candy.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:49 am
In my uneducated opinion, a hollow grind requires an extra step in manufacturing that increases the cost of making a blade. Flat grinds allow us to enjoy more affordable products.

A hollow grind appeals to me not for edge retention and cutting, but the shear beauty (pun intended). The gleam of a hollow grind is eye candy.
I agree. My Jess Horn and Worker sprints are the most pretty blades of all my Spyderco's :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Maybe if they did true hollow grinds that get thinner behind the bevel, and they did full hollow instead of saber grinds. Otherwise I'll pass. I only bought the Yojimbo 2 because I loved the rest of the knife so much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Hollow grind on the Southard was pretty spot on.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:30 am

Agreed.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:44 am
I'd like to see spyderco do more hollow grinds. There is a lot to be said for a blade that doesn't get thicker behind the bevel with each sharpening. I'm not saying hollow grind everything but some HG choices would be welcome. I like the sheepsfoot Griptillian with the Spydie hole. A similar regular production Spyderco would be a welcome sight. Anyone else?
Count me in. It is time the tyranny of the Flat Grind Mafia is broken!*

*Hyperbole for comedic effect. :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JMM

Post by JMM »

Sumdumguy wrote:

Just for my education & edification -- I love the 4V blade on my Fradon Manix (and the FFG on my St Nick's Manix) -- what's your issue/dislike, is it with the lack of slicey-ness with low hollow grinds?
carrot

Post by carrot »

I like the high hollow grind a lot.

Chris Reeve demonstrates that it can be strong, performant, and good-looking.

The Dragonfly Salt looks just right to me, whereas the regular Dragonflies look... a little funny. I also like the way it cuts, many materials bind less to the hollow grind.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I would love to see more high hollow grinds in the rotation, though I wonder what the cost premium increase would look like. However, to me, a hollow grind only makes sense on thicker blade stocks, and I tend to go for slim stock anyway (chaparral, watu, etc). Maybe a HHG native / chief could be rad? Or shaman?
~andrew
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Centofante 3 for the win.
Justin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JMM wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:12 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Just for my education & edification -- I love the 4V blade on my Fradon Manix (and the FFG on my St Nick's Manix) -- what's your issue/dislike, is it with the lack of slicey-ness with low hollow grinds?
The only reason I would want a hollow grind, is for a very thin edge. If the blade gets too thick, too quick, it is counteracting that thin blade.

It's like getting a Prius for the fuel efficiency and then putting a spoiler on it. Counterproductive.

But, that's just me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Even though the GB2 has a high hollow grind, I still found that knife to be one of the worst slicers I had. It also had an extremely small bevel on such a nice blade. I'm sure that's another factor in it's lack of great slicing though. Now that I'm much better at sharpening and reprofiling...I wish I didn't give up on it and sell it.

Does anybody else have a GB2 that can relate to the barely there bevel, or did I just happen to land a dud?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:49 am
I memory serves, some of the earliest pocket knives used to be ground on very large (round) grindstones. (Case knives I think but please don't take that as gospel.) Think of the character Hagar the Horrible sharpening his sword. The hollow grind was the easiest to achieve with those tools, in fact a full flat grind would have been quite the trick using the edge of a rounded grindstone.

Hand ground on a belt sander requires perhaps more skill but also gives one many more options.

At one time most knives were convex ground, and the reason for full flat is the because that was what customers were screaming for. (Me included) because of the fad of wanting tougher knives which is why there are so many overly thick pocket bricks in the market today. Spyderco deserves alot of Kudos for trying to give the customer what they want without loosing sight that a knife needs to cut first and foremost.

The older I get, the more I see things come full circle.

Grizz
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

First of all thanks for bringing up this subject. I've always had an affinity for "Hollow Grind" blades. Has anyone ever sat down and thought as to why most all of your Straight Razors have hollow grind blades? There must be valid reason other than aesthetics?

Now one Brother brings up the point that it's another step in manufacturing that could boost the cost. But that's not going to dissuade me because we aren't dealing with "Rip-Mart" discount knives here at all anyway. And I'm doubtful if the extra cost would be a deal breaker for me if it's a model I truly like a lot. I'm willing to pay the extra if it's something I really like.

Now I love Full Flat Grind blades and own and use quite a few of them ( Mostly Spyderco models). But I have found hollow grind blades to be able to penetrate a bit faster in most cases. Over the years I've also found that Hollow Grinds on outdoor game skinner type knives to be a really good advantage as well.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I prefer a hollow grind on a folder.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The Yojimbo 2 has an excellent example of a hollow grind...
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:56 pm
First of all thanks for bringing up this subject. I've always had an affinity for "Hollow Grind" blades. Has anyone ever sat down and thought as to why most all of your Straight Razors have hollow grind blades? There must be valid reason other than aesthetics?
It makes them extremely easy to strop on leather, minimal skill required. leather touches the spine and the edge which puts the edge in perfect alignment to sharpen.

I forgot to add, most straight razors are stropped on flexible leather belts that are only attached on one side. Usually attached to the barber's chair for example. The loose end of the belt strop is held in one hand pulling to achieve the correct tension, while you strop the razor with your other hand. And then perform a perfect shave on your customer.
Grizz