Screws do not come off Native 5 Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marshmallow

Screws do not come off Native 5 Salt

Post by marshmallow »

I tried to loosen the screws on the Native 5 Salt to make it more easier to open and close. The pivot screw on the blade comes off, but the other screws only loosen, but do not come off. It’s basically stuck. Also the bottom screw of the handle doesn’t fully tighten at all. Is this normal for a Salt knife?
"stay puft."
TomAiello

Re: Screws do not come off Native 5 Salt

Post by TomAiello »

If you are trying to make the action easier, you should only need to loosen the pivot. You don't need to touch the other screws most of the time. The only time I've seen other screws effect the action is when the clip screws sunk to far.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Because of that model being in the Salt Series I bet they used some type of Lock-Tite or other compound during assembly. And for a knife that is to be used in a harsh environment I can sort of see why they would do that. But that is the first time I've heard of that.

There are compounds that will help loosen nuts, bolts, screws etc, but do be advised that you might void your warranty in many cases. It's not often that I ever have to take one of my Spyders apart. And I usually won't do it unless it's been in the user rotation for some time.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I don't own a salt version, but assuming it's like the regular frn version, it sounds like the threaded inserts in the frn might be loose. Maybe send it in for warranty repair? A screw that won't tighten down would concern me.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

My salt was like that too. The knife could be pulled apart easily and all the screws would spin. I caught it early and sent it back for replacement.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

I’ve had several that were like that. The threaded insert is not very secured and it just very easily spins free then you can pull the knife apart.
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Thanks so much all; really appreciate your insights.
"stay puft."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Seems like the inserts could have a different shape that would anchor them in better.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."