Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Post by Dazen »

In light of resent discoveries, I thought I would start a new thread. Thank you Brancron!

Sal, will you do a run of Salt Mosquitoes In either H1 or LC200N, which ever has a stronger tip?

This is one that would stay on my keychain forever and get so much use!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Post by Evil D »

It would be cool. I've thought about getting a saber grind Ladybug and making my own Workerbug.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:55 pm
It would be cool. I've thought about getting a saber grind Ladybug and making my own Workerbug.

I was just about to say that I am still hoping for a "Workerfly". A little Worker blade in a Dragonfly body.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

So it's a locking awl?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It’s a pickpocket deterrent, per Sal in a previous post some time ago. I dig it!

For maximum utility, Sal could add an eye to the needle and make it into a speedy-stitcher.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It's to keep you safe in a certain district, haha!

I'd be down for one in LC200N.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think it's an awesome piece of Spyderco culture, and that it should NOT be made as a production piece. I think it's amazing just the way it is, produced whenever (or not) it is, and given out by Sal, as it should be.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I wouldn't want to see a sprint because I personally feel like it would ruin the rareness and exclusivity of the existing ones.

I've definitely considered buying a saber ground Ladybug 3 to make my own though.
-Nick :bug-red
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I am thinking of buying some Ladybugs and doing a few for friends, just because... :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

was this actually made by spyderco, or was it just a mod someone did?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:53 am
was this actually made by spyderco, or was it just a mod someone did?
Sal made them as gifts for an Amsterdam meet, long ago.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 am
Hey just curious if you know this to be fact...

I've been wishing for a mosquito for my ladybug collection for about 12 years and the only one I ever saw for sale was ridiculously priced on ebay.

In all that time I never heard anyone say anything about it being an Amsterdam meet gift.

Please elaborate if you have any more knowledge of them.

Better yet Sal if you see this could you give any more info on how approx how many were made and how you distributed what you made?
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Drahkis wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:32 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

I've been wishing for a mosquito for my ladybug collection for about 12 years and the only one I ever saw for sale was ridiculously priced on ebay.

In all that time I never heard anyone say anything about it being an Amsterdam meet gift.

Better yet Sal if you see this could you give any more info on how approx how many were made and how you distributed what you made?
I also read they were gifts but I think I heard it was employees
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Drahkis wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:32 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

I believe it to be fact. It was stated on this forum, by Sal himself.

He has no reason to lie.

-Thomas Jefferson
brancron

Post by brancron »

I'm glad my comment introduced you to the legendary Mosquito!
sal

Post by sal »

I made a few of them over the years. I was in Europe, and was assaulted both in Paris and in Spain. It was very quick. In both cases, once the blade appeared, they left quickly. Tey were professionals. You really can't just stab someone with a large knife ( Endura), without a lot of heat, So I decided to make something that would hurt like ****, but had no edge (cannot slice) that would discourage but not likely to be lethal.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:53 pm
I made a few of them over the years. I was in Europe, and was assaulted both in Paris and in Spain. It was very quick. In both cases, once the blade appeared, they left quickly. Tey were professionals. You really can't just stab someone with a large knife ( Endura), without a lot of heat, So I decided to make something that would hurt like ****, but had no edge (cannot slice) that would discourage but not likely to be lethal.

sal

Really interesting idea. I'm sure it would be really effective too.

Not to derail but how about that Ladybug Worker? Workerbug? Ladyworker? The pointy blade tip on the Worker would be super handy on a keychain knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:53 pm

sal
That’s super interesting. I lived in Paris myself for a year and have dealt with the Paris pickpockets on numerous occasions. Thankfully my small monkey fist was enough of a deterrent but a tool like this would have been very useful. I still travel to Europe a lot. Maybe I should make myself one of these. Thanks for the cool idea!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Makes me want to buy some cheap used ladybugs off ebay and make one myself
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb