Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chinook3

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Post by Chinook3 »

I love it.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:11 pm
I believe it to be fact. It was stated on this forum, by Sal himself.

He has no reason to lie.
haha obviously no one on this forum would dare to deny the words from the man himself, which is why If you ever some across that statement in the annals of this forum I would be very appreciative to see the thread.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Drahkis wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

He has no reason to lie.
haha obviously no one on this forum would dare to deny the words from the man himself, which is why If you ever some across that statement in the annals of this forum I would be very appreciative to see the thread.
Page 1 of this thread bro
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 pm
Drahkis wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:39 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

He has no reason to lie.
I just checked page 1 and I cant see where Sal said he made these as gifts for an Amsterdam meet.

A couple years ago Wouter, "Mr. Blonde", posted an article on his website with pictures and some information about his personal Mosquito. https://spydercollector.wordpress.com/?s=mosquito

In the article Wouter explains that his friend, who also worked for Spyderco, was gifted the Mosquito from Sal.
-Nick :bug-red
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 pm
As Mushroom mentioned, nowhere on page one is there a statement from Sal of what was claimed. I know and never doubted the origin of this item, as I have discussed the mosquito with Sal myself long ago. I have yet to see however, anything connecting these specifically to the amsterdam meet. (though I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he gifted one to somebody AT the Amsterdam meet.)

I hope I haven't come across as doubting anybody, I'm just in it for the knowledge people.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Perhaps I came across a bit harsh.

I read on this forum, from sal, that he handed a few out to friends at the Amsterdam meet as pickpocket deterrents. There aren't THAT many in existence and Sal has stated in this thread that they were originally created after he was accosted multiple times in Europe. Amsterdam is in Europe, so I see no reason to doubt my statement.

If you really need to see the exact quote, you'll have to roll up your sleeves and dive into the search bar. It's out there.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

A 5 second search netted me these:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7297&p=70744&hilit=Mosquito#p70744

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7193&p=70363&hilit=Mosquito#p70363

Seems like Sal answered the question on the first page... By using context clues one can come to the following conclusion: Sal made them, he frequents Europe, Wouter lives in Europe, Wouter and Sal attend the Amsterdam meet together... Sal gives one to Wouter's friend. Maybe it didn't happen exactly like that, but close enough for me.
Spydergirl88
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Seems like Sal answered the question on the first page... By using context clues one can come to the following conclusion: Sal made them, he frequents Europe, Wouter lives in Europe, Wouter and Sal attend the Amsterdam meet together... Sal gives one to Wouter's friend. Maybe it didn't happen exactly like that, but close enough for me.
:rolleyes: Neither link you provided is a post from Sal saying he made these as gifts for an Amsterdam meet. Sumdumguy has now twice claimed that Sal himself said they were made as gifts for an Amsterdam meet. If he has, those posts exist and can be found.

One of your links is a post from Joyce explaining that the Mosquito it as an "aftermarket alteration done in-house for employees and friends who travel extensively." Context clues would actually tell me that they were not made as gifts for the Amsterdam meet.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:40 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:

:rolleyes: Neither link you provided is a post from Sal saying he made these as gifts for an Amsterdam meet. Sumdumguy has now twice claimed that Sal himself said they were made as gifts for an Amsterdam meet. If he has, those posts exist and can be found.

One of your links is a post from Joyce explaining that the Mosquito it as an "aftermarket alteration done in-house for employees and friends who travel extensively." Context clues would actually tell me that they were not made as gifts for the Amsterdam meet.
Seems like Sal gave them out as gifts to certain people in Europe, probably at the Amsterdam meet. Isn't spyderco known for giving out gifts at the Amsterdam meet? "hey I got pickpocketed in Europe, let me bring some mosquitoes to Amsterdam to give out to some guys to see how they like them" I'm not sure you will ever get a direct quote bc of the context of the mod of the knife. You are correct that there doesn't seem to be a direct quote on this forum. Probably a reason behind that. Still doesn't change that the mosquitoes were given to people in Europe by spyderco, which is what y'all were asking about? Or were you just trying to browbeat sumdumguy for "misremembering"?
Spydergirl88
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

While my wording could be questioned, the fact that they were given as gifts to friends in Europe is irrefutable. The Amsterdam meet happens in Europe.

How are we arguing this?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Seems like Sal gave them out as gifts to certain people in Europe, probably at the Amsterdam meet. Isn't spyderco known for giving out gifts at the Amsterdam meet? "hey I got pickpocketed in Europe, let me bring some mosquitoes to Amsterdam to give out to some guys to see how they like them" I'm not sure you will ever get a direct quote bc of the context of the mod of the knife. You are correct that there doesn't seem to be a direct quote on this forum. Probably a reason behind that. Still doesn't change that the mosquitoes were given to people in Europe by spyderco, which is what y'all were asking about? Or were you just trying to browbeat sumdumguy for "misremembering"?
Nope, just trying to get some more, accurate, information on this very rare and elusive model. These are now highly sought after and collectible pieces of Spyderco history, so any more information is valuable. Especially if the information can be supported with sources. It could potentially even serve to help provide information for Spyderco's archive.

Sumdumguy wrote: While my wording could be questioned, the fact that they were given as gifts to friends in Europe is irrefutable. The Amsterdam meet happens in Europe.

How are we arguing this?
Because it is refutable. From the information we've recieved from Spyderco, these were given out at random to friends and employees who travel often. Nothing about friends in Europe though. Has anyone from Spyderco claimed these were given as gifts in Amsterdam? Even the Article from Wouter explains that he only got information from his friend who worked for Spyderco, he bought his personal piece from an unnamed source when the opportunity arose.

Speculation is the reason for this discussion. If you provided a source for the claims you made, there wouldn't be much left to discuss.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Oh wow a lesson on how to make an inference. I'm glad you found the answer that is close enough for you.

I interpreted the original statement from Sumdumguy that "Sal made them as gifts for an Amsterdam meet, long ago." to mean that Sal made them as gifts for an Amsterdam meet, long ago. I'm quite aware that Sal is a sweetheart and gifts a lot of misc things but my curiousity led me to question whether that meant that all the people lucky enough to attend that meet got themselves a never-produced super special edition customized ladybug from Sal, or if I should just continue to infer that the individuals that originally obtained one just got lucky that they new Sal at that point in Spyderco history.

You'll be happy to know I have inferred enough from this evening to be happy with my knowledge of the history of the mosquito.
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:55 pm
Perhaps I came across a bit harsh.

I read on this forum, from sal, that he handed a few out to friends at the Amsterdam meet as pickpocket deterrents. There aren't THAT many in existence and Sal has stated in this thread that they were originally created after he was accosted multiple times in Europe. Amsterdam is in Europe, so I see no reason to doubt my statement.

If you really need to see the exact quote, you'll have to roll up your sleeves and dive into the search bar. It's out there.
I suppose this all started from me interpreting your statement literally. Instead of guessing that your statement meant that the items happened to have been given to people while at the amsterdam meet, I read that Sal made these FOR the amsterdam meet, and my hunt for details have left left me with geography lessons defending a position I haven't argued against.

I thought I nicely asked for the details about how you learned what you knew, and I certainly did not ask you to go hunt it down. So no I don't really need to see anything, I apologize if you felt doubted. I just like to be confident that I'm not telling people tall-tales when I speak of something that happened long ago and nowhere near my presence.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

All this over some gifts 2 decades ago... Wow. Mystery is good, ya know. Not every detail of spyderco history has to be written down. Sal said he made them, Joyce said they were then given out as gifts. Good enough for me, obviously not good enough for some.
Spydergirl88
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:15 pm
All this over some gifts 2 decades ago... Wow. Mystery is good, ya know. Not every detail of spyderco history has to be written down. Sal said he made them, Joyce said they were then given out as gifts. Good enough for me, obviously not good enough for some.
I'm sorry Spydergirl88 if you feel rubbed the wrong way. Nobody has questioned who made them, or whether they were given away or not. I'll assume the statements from Sal and Joyce are good enough for anyone.

I was looking to answer one question and you've given me many facts that apparently satisfy anything you might want to know. They didn't answer MY question, but with your help I have inferred enough to realize that what I already "knew" was as accurate as anything anyone in this thread had to add. Thanks.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I gave information I had, based on what I recall reading on this forum and possibly Bladeforum. Although, I don't frequent the latter.

I cannot miraculously bring forth every source, quote or chart that makes up that information. If you really want the accurate information, stop yakking at me and get to work.

I'm out.

-Thomas Jefferson
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

This could be a semantics argument.

Saying they were made for an Amsterdam meet, or made to be given out at an Amsterdam meet can mean many things.

Maybe some were given to employees going to the Amsterdam meet. Maybe some were meant to be given away at the Amsterdam meet. Maybe some were not given away during that time and given away later as gifts to friends and customers. We are splitting hairs here.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sal

Post by sal »

Wow, Not worth an arguemt. I didn't make enough of them for everyone at the meet. The meets will have an attendance of 80 folks. I would guess that I made 10 to 20 of them.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:47 pm
Wow, Not worth an arguemt. I didn't make enough of them for everyone at the meet. The meets will have an attendance of 80 folks. I would guess that I made 10 to 20 of them.

sal
Wow, that does make them super rare. Do you still have yours?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

How about a Mansquito sprint?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Forum knife 2020.