I'm falling out of love with the Compression Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kels73

Re: I'm falling out of love with the Compression Lock

Post by Kels73 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:50 am
Kels73 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:28 am
My favorite locks are the backlock and the CBBL. However, for extended woodworking/bushcrafting tasks at camp, I only use a fixed blade. Handle comfort is one of the primary reasons why.

This is one of those options that is both the right answer, and I guess just not the answer I want to hear. I feel like it's reasonable to expect to be able to carve on a stick with my folder and be comfortable doing so. I'd agree that there's going to be a limit on how much work is a reasonable amount of work before discomfort starts, and maybe that's my whole problem here. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic? The problem I have with that logic is it still doesn't change the fact that other lock designs could have done the same amount of carving with less discomfort. Ultimately I just like to talk about this stuff and see what develops, maybe the design can be improved?
I hear what you're saying. I have wrestled with this issue myself and come to the following conclusion. There are folders on the market with handles that I find comfortable enough for extended bushcrafting sessions. The problem is that I don't like to carry these knives in my pocket because of their bulk. I'm happy to carry them in a belt pouch; however, if I'm going to use my belt, then why not just carry a fixed blade?

I came to the same conclusion regarding strength. There are folders on the market that are incredibly strong and can withstand the rigors of heavy bushcrafting. But again, I don't like to carry these knives in my pocket because of their bulk and weight. So why not just carry a fixed blade?

For short hikes where I don't plan to do a lot of heavy cutting, a folder works fine. But even then, I still tend to favor a fixed blade...just in case.

This is my personal preference. Of course, preferences will vary from person to person. I should also point out that I love fixed blades, so I'm more than happy to carry them when it's practical to do so.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

You gotta choose:
Either you carry a lightweight, finely engineered, fast opening and closing folder, that will be very comfortable to carry, open and close but not so much to use
Or
You carry an Opinel that will be bulky, slow to open, lock and close, it will have a great handle for prolonged use.

I choose the first group, as it gives me what I need. I have 2 opinels that could see more use but... i don't carry them.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hand size plays a role, grip plays a role too. While I'm a big fan of the compression lock, I'd hate to see spyderco switch everything over to it. It's important for all of us to interact with views that challenge our own, and nothing helps you understand why you prefer one lock than talking cordially with someone who prefers another.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

You have soft hands , build up a few rows of calluses.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:28 pm
Hand size plays a role, grip plays a role too. While I'm a big fan of the compression lock, I'd hate to see spyderco switch everything over to it. It's important for all of us to interact with views that challenge our own, and nothing helps you understand why you prefer one lock than talking cordially with someone who prefers another.
Quoted for truth. I like good examples of all the main Spyderco lock types. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I’m very glad we have choices in lock types, none of which are objectively “bad” in Spyderco’s execution. There’s really four main lock families in Spyderco’s line, plus a few outliers. Those four main lock families are: 1) liner lock/frame lock, 2) back lock, 3) ball bearing lock - caged or otherwise, and 4) compression lock.

I carry and use mostly examples of the last three families, but greatly respect and occasionally use the Military with its excellent liner lock. Frame locks I find beautiful but don’t use because metal handles don’t do it for me. As Sal says, “All good, just different.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never been a fan of the compression lock. I do not hate it, I just do not care for it. It is right handed only (not a problem for me, but if my hand was injured it could be), has a tab that is in the way when using the knife, and it requires a detent. I much prefer a uber strong ambidextrous mid back lock. If others prefer the comp lock, that is fine by me, but I am not going to buy knives with that lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:16 am
I have never been a fan of the compression lock. I do not hate it, I just do not care for it. It is right handed only (not a problem for me, but if my hand was injured it could be), has a tab that is in the way when using the knife, and it requires a detent. I much prefer a uber strong ambidextrous mid back lock. If others prefer the comp lock, that is fine by me, but I am not going to buy knives with that lock.
I'm right-handed, but carry all my Spydercos on the left side. I can safely open and close the comp lock left handed and I'm not ambidextrous. However, we do agree on the best lock type. :cool:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001