I'm falling out of love with the Compression Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: I'm falling out of love with the Compression Lock

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:25 pm
There are definitely different interpretations as to what "ergonomic" truly means, and as you mentioned there's a stark difference between casual use ergonomics and going out carving up a stick ergonomics. This is why I can't understand why people obsess so much over thin knives when thicker/rounder is so much better in use. I understand the argument that a knife spends more time in your pocket than in your hand, but adding ~4mm to the overall width of the handle just to round out the scales a bit doesn't exactly turn a knife into a brick and the gains in ergonomics are so worth it to me. I think there's a place for both thin and thick handles, but the lack of full figured options is a downer.
Fully agree. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That's probably why the shaman was such a slow burn at the start. It really takes getting one in hand to appreciate the difference from a slab-sided folder with no rounding.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think most people use folders for "casual use".

I really like the ergonomics of the Chaparral, for example, but I'd never try to use it for carving wood. I have plenty of nice (and with more rounded handles) fixed blades for that kind of task. My favorite is the $25 (and aptly named) Mora Woodcarving Knife. No folder, no matter how nice, is going to be better suited for wood carving than that knife.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:37 pm

And before any of you jokers say "get tougher hands", I don't plan on creating a callous just to compensate for a lock design :rolleyes:
Anyone who has a tatoo in that spot on forearm is „tough enough“ in my eyes. I have a tatoo in the same spot, and it was not a pleasant experience to say at least :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:11 pm
I have a tatoo in the same spot
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have been Bloked :D that's an achievement
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I like the compression lock. While it’s placement on a particular knife might cause issues for a few people in certain circumstances, it’s a reliable lock that locks. Important function for a lock. And it is easy to release safely.

My Schempp Bowie uses a Walker Liner Lock and Ed designed it in such a way as to maintain secure lock-up and being almost impossible to accidentally activate but is easily released by the user when required.

It seems to me that to offer negative criticism to a member of a class then extrapolate that criticism across the class as a whole is not rational nor serves any legitimate criticism functions.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have never really understood the love for the comp lock that others have for it. It is easy to disengage, I will give it that.

I live with it because some of my favorite models have it. Shaman, caribbean, pm2...
For casual use, or normal edc, its never been an issue.

And yes, a no choil backlock Shaman would be my edc to end them all.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think people make far too much fuss about locks strength and design. it’s a folder. if i ever have to use it like this, i have bigger problems than hot spots.

i don’t think you need tougher hands, but like you said, a different tool. these folders are strong and durable and we sometimes let that be our guide to push them into work they aren’t really meant for.

i realized the same when using my manix 2 lw recently. it’s one of the most comfortable knives i’ve ever held, but it can be uncomfortable when bearing down for harder uses. but it’s certainly no less comfortable than a swiss army knife and most of us have pushed those harder than any spyderco.

anyway, i like the comp lock because it’s a great lock and fun to play with. i like that it’s fidget friendly while still being safer than most other locks. and i like back locks just fine, but i really only own them because they are salts. if i wanted a back lock, i prefer a more sturdy version, like the triad lock.

i guess all of that is to say i’m glad there are options and we can choose whatever we prefer. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The compression lock shines for those quick one-hand-open (like most Spydies), but also one-hand-close moves. But all of them causes that hot spot for me with a hammer grip, the Shaman included.

For extended cutting I prefer a Military, or a Mora!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

For me the compression lock is fiddly and more awkward to use. I much prefer liner locks and frame locks.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The compression lock is a ingenious design alright but in my hand, for extended cutting give me a Buck 110 any day of the weeks as far as ergos are concerned.

Sincerely, The old f*rt Luddite
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've had two EDCs with Comp Locks in the past and I didn't have that problem thank goodness. I'm wondering if your problem is maybe exclusive to that particular model????

The one older GUNTING model that I had for 3 years of course had a comp lock and I never experienced that problem at all>> and I used to play with that GUNTING model a lot. Also I currently own two Para2 models and again nothing like that has given me any problems at all.

However in the game of life I've found throughout the years that there are tradeoffs to almost everything at some point.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:12 am
I'm wondering if your problem is maybe exclusive to that particular model????

No definitely not. I had this issue way back with the Paramilitary and Para 2. I even noticed a difference on the Military when they did away with the partial back spacer.

You ever read into how the old "bed of nails" trick works? It's all about weight displacement. If there are enough nails positioned close enough together it makes it much harder to penetrate your skin because your weight is more evenly distributed over the nails. If you tried the same trick with half as many nails spaced 6 inches apart from each other you'd get impaled. There's a similar thing happening here on a much smaller level. The lock cutout takes away 50% of the handle on that spot, meaning your hand presses into the other side of the scale and lock tab 50% harder at the lock cutout than it does anywhere else on the back of the handle. If Spyderco were to start making the Military with an 8mm thick blade, you'd feel the difference just from spreading out the handle scales further because the further apart they are, the less they work together to distribute the force/weight of your hand making the cut. Adding a back spacer increases the surface area that the force is being applied to by 30% or however much of a percentage the gap between the handle scales is. With a back spacer (or even a design like the Military that doesn't have a lock cutout on the spine of the handle) you've got the overall thickness of the handle to distribute force into, which is partly why you can use a fixed blade for longer without getting hot spots.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pancake wrote:
Evil D wrote:

And before any of you jokers say "get tougher hands", I don't plan on creating a callous just to compensate for a lock design :rolleyes:
Anyone who has a tatoo in that spot on forearm is „tough enough“ in my eyes. I have a tatoo in the same spot, and it was not a pleasant experience to say at least :D

Yeah, wrist tattoos are no fun, the skin and muscle is so thin there that you really feel it. I also wouldn't recommend the ditch of your elbow or anywhere near your armpit :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

You guys are crazy, haha. Me? Ain't nobody getting close to me with a needle! NYET!

The only tattoo I'd ever get was if I had went to the Olympics. Alas, I was injured and did not get to compete in the trials...

Back on topic:

I'm going to draw out some pictures of the G10 piece mounted to the lock bar idea.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Evil D wrote:
That’s the beauty of calluses: you don’t need to plan. The hot spots develop wear resistance all on their own.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:45 am
Pancake wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Yeah, wrist tattoos are no fun, the skin and muscle is so thin there that you really feel it. I also wouldn't recommend the ditch of your elbow or anywhere near your armpit :D
Yep!! Near the armpit, top of the shoulder and elbow area are not pleasant. Especially if getting it done with a bolder tip and black ink.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is great for fidgeting which is why it is so popular.

As a lock it works well and is strong. We have long winters here and using a comp lock with gloves on can be quite a challenge. With heavy winter gloves it can be impossible. That’s my only real complaint.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sounds like you need left-hand comp lock variants for all of your hard, hammer-grip cutting activities. :)
:spyder: