Dragonfly Special

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Dragonfly Exclusive/Sprint

Wharny
19%
Leaf
22%
CPM 10V
10%
CPM S110V
5%
Rex 45
10%
M390
22%
Maxamet
13%

Total votes: 93

ABX2011

Dragonfly Special

Post by ABX2011 »

I think the Dragonfly makes for a good Sprint/Exclusive. It's low cost and it's popular. The teal exclusive sold out very quickly. Personally I prefer the wharny because it maximizes usable cutting edge and the short blade is almost as controllable as a utility knife. The leaf is nice too. Which do you prefer?
I think a steel with high wear resistance would be best. A shorter blade dulls faster for a given amount of cutting. Stainless or tool steel?
Wright.88

Re: Dragonfly Special

Post by Wright.88 »

I think M390 or Maxamet make a lot of sense for a Dragonfly. It’s a small blade so I would think how long it holds an edge is going to be the most important thing for a lot of people. I voted for M390 and Maxamet which are two of the best “edge holding” steels for stainless and non-stainless, respectively. I would be all over a Dragonfly in one of these steels. I’m tempted to grab the K390 Dragonfly if I’m able to snag one, though $100 for a FRN dragonfly is getting pretty expensive for me. That’s how much I bought my first PM2 for lol.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wharnie SE, LC200N.

That is all.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

After the s30v sprint run, was kinda hoping for an s90v. M390 would be ok
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:21 pm
After the s30v sprint run, was kinda hoping for an s90v. M390 would be ok
I probably should have put S90V in the poll instead of S110V. I've noticed that S90V seems more popular although my understanding is that they're very close in performance.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Wharnie SE, LC200N.
A Salt wharnie sounds good too. My first choice is plain edge though.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I use a Dragonfly frequently for work.

I don’t have a Wharny yet - I’m holding out for a tool steel version - so I voted for that.

Either 10V or REX45 would appeal to me out of the options you posted. I voted for 10V because I already have a HAP40 model.

Yeah I’d definitely like a S90V version, although the price would be high for a Seki model. HAP5R might be interesting as a local Japanese steel too - the Hitachi analogue to Cruwear.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

M390 or equivalent would be nice. I love the standard blade shape for general use. A wharncliffe would be cool, but I think it would look better without being so round. Instead, a nice slope towards the point would get my vote. As it is, it is more sheepfoot than wharncliffe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Dragonfly was my first Spyderco and still one of my top 3 models.

I'm waiting for the following Dragonflies

Grey with Cruwear
St Nick's Red with TiCN 4V
GITD with VG-10
Toxic Green with TiCN FFG LC200N

Still also hoping to see my Dodofly and Cricketfly concepts come to life! :)

Of what you listed, I voted for a Rex45 Wharnie.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Dfly is one of my all time favorite knives. I've gifted more of them than I can easily remember.

I'd definitely buy a sprint in any of the listed options, but I'd prefer Maxamet or M390 (or 20cv or 204p). I'd rather have leaf blade first, but I'd buy either, and in a perfect world both.

Maybe DLT needs to request their exclusive combo in the Dragonfly?

Other immediate buy Dragonfly options for me would include:

LC200N Dragonfly Salt
S110v
K390 Wharnie (I'll buy multiples of K390 Leaf when I can)
4v (not my first choice for the Dfly, but I'm a sucker for anything in 4v, which is pretty much my favorite all around steel)

Not sure about Rex 45. I already have Hap 40, and it's pretty close.
I prefer K390 to 10v, so the 10v option is pretty much already covered by the upcoming K390, and the two steels are very close anyway.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

LC200N with standard blade or wharncliffe
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I've recently become a little obsessed with my hawkbill dragonfly. I'm more than happy with the SE H1, but it'd be fun to see a sprint with a new color like they did with the spyderhawk. Steelcity's toxic green and TiCN blade idea would be awesome on a SE hawkbill!

I'd also be very likely to go after a St.Nicks red/TiCN 4v version, and if Moteng does a gitd zome/TiCN dfly, I'll get one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Of the steels in the poll, S110V makes the most sense for a knife like the Dragonfly. A rust prone steel with super toughness is wasted on such a small knife, except for bragging rights and Insta-flexing, IMO. S110V stays sharp for a longtime and combined with the thin stock of the D'fly makes for a great slicer. Rust resistance trumps toughness in a small knife that likely will be riding around in the bottom of a sweaty pocket all day.
S90V & M390 and its twins would be OK as well. If there is a Japanese steel in the same league as these 3, that would be interesting as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:33 am
Of the steels in the poll, S110V makes the most sense for a knife like the Dragonfly. A rust prone steel with super toughness is wasted on such a small knife, except for bragging rights and Insta-flexing, IMO. S110V stays sharp for a longtime and combined with the thin stock of the D'fly makes for a great slicer. Rust resistance trumps toughness in a small knife that likely will be riding around in the bottom of a sweaty pocket all day.
S90V & M390 and its twins would be OK as well. If there is a Japanese steel in the same league as these 3, that would be interesting as well.
I'm not such a fan of S110V compared to REX45 or maxamet, but the above thoughts on riding in a sweaty pocket is solid logic. It's also the reason I chose S110V above other preferred steel options.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Interesting that the Leaf made a comeback in the poll and is now ahead of the wharnie. I hope the wharnie is popular enough to warrant a sprint or exclusive. Before getting the wharnie, the only Dragonfly I ever owned was the G-10 version and that was several years ago. I didn't keep it. Tastes change. Also the G-10 version has an added heft that might appeal to some but I prefer the Lightweight. In this warmer weather I've been carrying it clipped to lightweight slacks or shorts and it's unnoticeable. The wire clip is excellent.