So I did a thing...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

So I did a thing...

Post by soc_monki »

And got a Shaman!

Ive been kicking the idea of it around for a while, and after getting the Native Chief and now a Manix 2 XL, and being disappointed in Zero Tolerance's new 0707...i ordered the Shaman. I didn't know if I'd like it, but man I opened it and man does it feel good to hold. I can't wait to put it to work! I'm off work for a bit so I've got household duties to take care of... I think the shaman will fit right in!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JuPaul

Re: So I did a thing...

Post by JuPaul »

I never thought I'd like a big beefy knife like the shaman, but once I actually held and used one, I was hooked. Enjoy!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

It's beefy, but not overly so. Very comfortable to carry as well!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really one of the best knives Spyderco has put out in the last 10 years.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

soc_monki sir I normally have screen savers of rifles but your knife is the very first one of knife. :D

Thank you for posting. :spyder:

Signalman :mad: :) :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I don't remember enjoying the handle. It was too thin in the height department.

I will pick up the choilless version(hopefully) and see if it is any different.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Cool knives.

But the movie on the screen is so good :D Despicable Me 2 was such a good movie, I had so many laughs when I watched it :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Shamans are so cool. Congrats on your choice and may it serve you well. I recently got one while in Golden at the factory and yes it needs to be in hand to truly appreciate the ergos. Awesome movie to by the way.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A knife I used to always overlook until I was lucky enough to land the St Nicks exclusive, figured that was a great one to dip my feet into for this model. I've now got 3, and they are 1a/1b with my Manix's. I never saw that coming a year ago.

It's one of those few models that you don't really need to explain why you love it, because everyone else that owns one understands and feels that same way :D It's great that this knife has really taken off recently after not getting a lot of attention. It's deserved it all along!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Great choice! The Shaman is my favorite spyderco model. The hands know!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
WRB

Post by WRB »

Yeah, I got the orange REX 45 as my first. Didn't know if I'd keep it, but after about 2 seconds of it being out the box I knew it wasn't going anywhere but in my pocket.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It's a nice handle for extended use with a folder
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:09 am
Cool knives.

But the movie on the screen is so good :D Despicable Me 2 was such a good movie, I had so many laughs when I watched it :D
I may be nearly 40, but the despicable me movies are still golden! Good thing my kid likes them too. :D

No harm in enjoying these types of movies. Usually a lot better than all the remakes and things they tend to put out. Or maybe I'm just getting old... Lol
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:23 am
Shamans are so cool. Congrats on your choice and may it serve you well. I recently got one while in Golden at the factory and yes it needs to be in hand to truly appreciate the ergos. Awesome movie to by the way.
It really did always look weird in pictures, but in hand it's great! I did have to take it apart last night, it just felt really dry. And it was. A little kpl and some pivot tuning and she's solid, smooth, and is full of spyderco awesomeness.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:50 am
A knife I used to always overlook until I was lucky enough to land the St Nicks exclusive, figured that was a great one to dip my feet into for this model. I've now got 3, and they are 1a/1b with my Manix's. I never saw that coming a year ago.

It's one of those few models that you don't really need to explain why you love it, because everyone else that owns one understands and feels that same way :D It's great that this knife has really taken off recently after not getting a lot of attention. It's deserved it all along!
One thing that put me off was the price increase on it. It still kind of hurt, but I'm happy and don't regret the purchase, so it was worth it! Wish I would have snagged one when they first came out, but better late then never!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As much as I've liked all my Native models over the years I just know I would like a Shaman model. However I would want it in XHP and in Spyderedge as well before I would pull the trigger. Or if they made a special run in some supersteel it would probably entice me.

But all of those Native type designs are truly pitbull blades in SE.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

There is only 1 thing I have mixed feelings about my Shaman. It's upon closing how it moves up in the lock part of knife. Unlike a PM2 where you can hold your finger there. But I also like it because I use it to bump the blade out and open quickly if I choose. Which is not often but still an option. It's just something different I didn't know till I had the model in hand. Not a deal breaker at all for me.
JerryPeterson

Post by JerryPeterson »

I love my Shaman, it's one of the first knives I always grab when heading out. It's very chunky, I personally love that.
Red

Post by Red »

Very nice 👍
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:08 am
As much as I've liked all my Native models over the years I just know I would like a Shaman model. However I would want it in XHP and in Spyderedge as well before I would pull the trigger. Or if they made a special run in some supersteel it would probably entice me.

But all of those Native type designs are truly pitbull blades in SE.
I'm quite happy with s30v myself! Doing work on the bathroom this weekend and the shaman is coming in handy! This thing is a tank!