Should I get the Manix 2 LW and the UKPK or something else?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PoisonedPizza

Should I get the Manix 2 LW and the UKPK or something else?

Post by PoisonedPizza »

Recently got a PM2, first Golden Colorado Spydie and was very impressed with the fit and finish, looking for more Golden 
models. I'm not terribly rich so I try to keep it under $110 per knife(Splurged on the PM2 lol), eventually saw these:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... nife--7989

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... nife--9303

Should I pick them up? Or is there something better in my budget?
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the knife is cooler than the pen.
JustinB

Re: Should I get the Manix 2 LW and the UKPK or something else?

Post by JustinB »

Hard to go wrong with either honestly. If you like the size of the PM2, the Manix might be a better fit. But if you want something smaller, lighter and non locking then the UKPK is great.

Lets be honest here though, consensus on the forum always will be get both :D
Justin :spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Para 3 Lightweight
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can't go wrong with the UKPK and the Manix 2 LW.

Those are two of my most used Spyderco knives (the others are the Manix 2 G-10 and the Chaparral).

If I could only have two folding knives, they would probably be a Manix 2 LW and a UKPK.

Definitely get them. :)

How often do you travel outside of Texas? The UKPK is my go-to travel knife for restrictive jurisdictions (the Manix is my go-to EDC for home).
PoisonedPizza

Post by PoisonedPizza »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:23 pm
You can't go wrong with the UKPK and the Manix 2 LW.

Those are two of my most used Spyderco knives (the others are the Manix 2 G-10 and the Chaparral).

If I could only have two folding knives, they would probably be a Manix 2 LW and a UKPK.

Definitely get them. :)

How often do you travel outside of Texas? The UKPK is my go-to travel knife for restrictive jurisdictions (the Manix is my go-to EDC for home).
Not very often LOL
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Start with the Manix, then. The UKPK is really easy to carry (it weighs almost nothing) but since it's non-locking it's not my first choice when I am in a place that lets me carry a locking blade. I once carried the s110v UKPK exclusively for three weeks just to see how it went, and it was honestly fine as an "only" knife, but I default back to the Manix pretty much all the time.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Not to disparage the UKPK - by all accounts it's a great knife - but SG had a good suggestion with the para3 lightweight. It's becoming one of my favorite 3ish-inch spydies. I like the g10 version, but I often feel a little disappointment when I open it and it doesn't have the longer pm2 blade. Not so with the lightweight - i think it just feels better proportioned overall to me.

As for the Manix...I think everyone should have one in one flavor or another!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Between those two I would say the UKPK, simply because I’m not fond of the Manix. If you are going for the UKPK I would hold out another 6 weeks or so and get the Heinnie Haynes S30V/G10 version. But, if you want a slip joint that you can take the clip off and wear comfortably in the bottom of your pocket I would recommend the Urban, it’s not Golden made though.

https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-heinni ... nknife-g10
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Out of the two you mentioned I would go with the Manix 2. I don't have a UKPK, and I don't have a Manix 2 LW version, but I have 3 G10 models and really like them.

The only thing I don't really like about the Manix LW is the pinned construction but I never heard many complaints of it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:19 pm
Recently got a PM2, first Golden Colorado Spydie and was very impressed with the fit and finish, looking for more Golden 
models. I'm not terribly rich so I try to keep it under $110 per knife(Splurged on the PM2 lol), eventually saw these:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... nife--7989

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... nife--9303

These are two of my favorite knives and they get used often. The Manix 2 LW is a real joy to use as it fits the hand extremely well. The ergos are spot on for me. I also like the UKPK, which is basically a non-locking Caly3, and a lot cheaper, too. I prefer the leaf blade, but the drop point is good, too. You will not be disappointed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

The UKPK is my go-to knife. I carry it almost every day. And I have a lot to choose from. Native, lil native, para2, para3, para3 LW, etc. The UKPK is just so light an simple it's the one I almost always grab.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:19 pm
The Manix 2 LW is a great knife at a great price point, in my opinion. Everything from the bidirectional pattern that provides a great grip, to the wire clip that provides snagless removal from the pocket is spot on. If you're patient, a Sprint model with a REX 45 blade is going to be released soon. If you're quick, you might be able to get one of these. I'd hold out for one of these.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Try and get the manix 2 ltwt sprint.
Or, and this is over your budget, get the manix 2 ltwt in spy 27.

They will have better steel performance than the standard version.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

It's a bit over your budget, but the Native 5 Salt SE and a Sharpmaker. You've just got to experience a full SE knife that's been tuned up on a Sharpmaker. The Native 5 Salt combines that with essentially maintenance free materials that you can sweat on and play in the water with all summer with no worries about your knife.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Both your choices are excellent and both now come in BD1N steel. That's not all they have in common since they are also linerless with wire clips. You hit the trifecta! All kidding aside, these qualities make for a great, high value EDC package in my book. I have them both and carry them often. I'm very impressed with the overall capabilities of BD1N and how easy it is to put and keep an edge on it.
I have the blue translucent Manix and I swapped out the standard wire clip on it for a deep carry wire clip. Though I also have the UKPK in S110, I never carry that one and will probably gift or sell it. I had to do a little searching to find a new release in BD1N but they are starting to show up.
Start with the UKPK since you already have a larger Spydie in the PM2. That will give you a feel for the BD1N steel. But don't hesitate on picking up a Manix 2 LW in any steel. It's a great knife.
PoisonedPizza

Post by PoisonedPizza »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:43 pm
It's a bit over your budget, but the Native 5 Salt SE and a Sharpmaker. You've just got to experience a full SE knife that's been tuned up on a Sharpmaker. The Native 5 Salt combines that with essentially maintenance free materials that you can sweat on and play in the water with all summer with no worries about your knife.
Got a sharpmaker already, looking into the native 5 salt
PoisonedPizza

Post by PoisonedPizza »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
It comes in LC200N, that's better than H1, right?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:15 pm
PoisonedPizza wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
It comes in LC200N, that's better than H1, right?
Yes, LC200N is the blade steel on the Native 5 Salt. LC200N has better edge holding in plain edge than H1 does in PE. Sal still says nothing has beaten serrated H1 in Spyderco's CATRA tests for pure edge retention. However, Evil D continues to show that serrated LC200N is amazingly tough and cuts like crazy in his Caribbean torture thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85045. In SE I don't know that either H1 or LC200N is better than the other. I do think that the Native 5 Salt offers one heck of a combination of a very good folder with a very good blade steel, and hardware upgraded for extreme corrosion resistance to complete the package. So far it's also the only Golden made Salt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pizza, you absolutely should get a Manix 2 LW imho.. it is an amazing design, and the CTS BD1N steel of the base model really keeps surprising me in a positive way.

But then: You should absolutely also try a serrated Spydie (and the Manix LW only comes in PE unfortunately...), especially since you have a sharpmaker already: Affordable options are the Tenacious LW in SE, or the Endela SE, maybe Salt 2 SE if you want something smaller.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

ugaarguy wrote: ... So far it's also the only Golden made Salt.
Siren
Autonomy
Autonomy 2
Waterway
Swick 5 and Swick 6 (Im assuming on these two)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."