S90V for foodprep?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ruudr

S90V for foodprep?

Post by Ruudr »

I was wondering if S90V good for foodprep?
I am carrying my Drunken today and realized that the blade shape would be perfect for cutting food. Ergonomics and bladeshape are great for cutting on a cutting board.

Would S90V be ok? :confused:
prndltech

Re: S90V for foodprep?

Post by prndltech »

I haven’t found anything I don’t like s90v for... it’s pretty corrosion resistant, so I’d say it would work just fine. Although I don’t use my pocket knives for food...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

As well as any other stainless steel.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I use my S90V Military on food all the time. Never had an issue.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I use a south fork and a sprig almost every day in the kitchen. S90v works well. Have had a little corrosion on the southfork but nothing serious. S90v is hard to sharpen though! Have had best luck using no finer than 600grit diamond edge in the kitchen. Fines edges haven’t held up as well for me and I like the aggression I get with S90v when I finish with a fine or coarse dmt plate.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Should be fine. I wouldn’t choose it for a laser thin Japanese kitchen knife but your Drunken should do whatever you ask of it without issues.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

I've used my Manix 2 LW S90v for food prep quite a bit and actually enjoy using it on tomatoes, fruit and veggies. No issues.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh I'm certain that S90V would be a blade steel that would be quite adequate for food preparation. My two favorite blade steels for food prep are VG-10 in SE & PE. I also really like my fully serrated CATCHERMAN in AUS-8. AUS-8 is also decent in a plain edge but not quite as good as VG-10 is.

If all of my kitchen cutlery were VG-10 I would be completely happy. However I'm always open to check out something better. I use at least 4 different Spyderco blades for food prep with VG-10 and I can only good about them. But do keep us posted as to how you end up liking S90V for food jobs because I'm always interested know how things like this turn out.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I guess the knife itself may or may not be appropriate for food prep rather than the steel.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

My Sprig lives in the kitchen.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Matt Deaner wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 am
I use a south fork and a sprig almost every day in the kitchen. S90v works well. Have had a little corrosion on the southfork but nothing serious.
Ditto. Everything (even the little corrosion on the Southfork, but nothing serious).

I'm very happy with s90v for food prep.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:44 pm
Matt Deaner wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 am
I use a south fork and a sprig almost every day in the kitchen. S90v works well. Have had a little corrosion on the southfork but nothing serious.
Ditto. Everything (even the little corrosion on the Southfork, but nothing serious).

I'm very happy with s90v for food prep.
I've been using and older TEMPERANCE 1 model for food prep with a VG-10 blade. Most of Spyderco's fixed blades are excellent in the kitchen. Yeah I bet that the Sprig and Southfork both are excellent kitchen/culinary blades. I've had 3 Spyderco fixed blades over the years and they all have been splendid. Even the two MBS-26 blades have been great over the years as well.

All of the CATCHERMAN models I've ever used have been great in the kitchen or for outdoor food prep and cooking
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I’ve used a South-fork and a Sprig in the kitchen for several years. I love them for great edge retention. However they both have spots of rust. We don’t machine wash ever, all by hand and we dry afterwards. They both still developed some rust spots.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah, I’ve been using a Southfork in the kitchen recently and I like the S90V steel a lot regarding the edge that it takes, and the way it holds that aggressive bite.

I wash and dry the blade by hand, but given it’s a stainless steel, I might not dry as stringently as I would with a tool steel or carbon steel.

I also noticed some tiny specks of orange on one side of the blade while examining the knife the other day.

One of the differences with these high wear resistance stainlesses to the more usual kitchen knife steels is they are generally not finished to as high a polish on the blade flats.

I think tiny particles of fluid (or in my case steel particles from strops) can rest in the grooves of the grinding striations and initiate corrosion sites.

One thing I find useful is to lay the blade flat on a strop loaded with diamond or CBN compound and give it a few passes. I do this usually before sharpening or touch ups, or if I want to get rid of those tiny orange specks.

Over time it smooths and polishes the blade surface out a little more and helps resist oxidisation a bit better, when combined with a more careful cleaning regime. At the moment I’m also putting a little mineral oil on the blade before I put it away.

This image from the scienceofsharp blog of a cross section of a carbon steel straight razor, ground with a 320 grit Shapton Pro, helps to imagine what blade surfaces can look like in terms of grinding striations.

(In the original context the pic was showing how grooves ploughed by abrasive particles can sometimes be partially filled in by displaced metal from subsequent grinding passes.)

I’ve also had tiny orange specks appear on one side of my Waterway in the first week of use, probably from a similar cause - flecks of tool steel or carbon steel from stropping resting in the grooves on the surface.
Last edited by Cambertree on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think that corrosion resistance gets prioritized in mass market kitchen knives.

I will say that s90v is the only stainless in my kitchen drawer that has taken any discoloration. All of our knives are used by my wife and kids, left sitting wet, and otherwise basically treated like kitchen utility knives. The other stainless knives (Elmax, m390, Nitrobe 77, MB26) have yet to develop any staining. You ought to see the O-1 and 26c3, though--they're definitely well marked.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Ruudr wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:51 am
I was wondering if S90V good for foodprep?
I am carrying my Drunken today and realized that the blade shape would be perfect for cutting food. Ergonomics and bladeshape are great for cutting on a cutting board.

Would S90V be ok? :confused:
The better question is whether or not the drunken is ok. There are way better options. A miyabi chef knife in vg-10 will run circles around the s90v drunken in the kitchen because the chef knife is optimized specifically for a cutting board.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:11 pm
I think that corrosion resistance gets prioritized in mass market kitchen knives.
Yes, definitely. I think the US FDA also specifies 16% chromium for food contact stainless steel knives - although they don’t seem to factor in free chromium levels at all.

That’s interesting about S90V being the only stainless you have that shows rust spots.

I take reasonable care of my kitchen knives, but have had rust spotting on MBS-26, CTS-BD1N and AEB-L. Not VG10 though.

I do cut up a lot of vinegar brined pickled vegetables though.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Personally, I think I would rather have VG-10 in the kitchen than S90V.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:38 am
I agree - VG10 is my choice for my ‘serious’ kitchen knives. It’s a superb steel in thinly ground Japanese chef knives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:38 am
I agree - VG10 is my choice for my ‘serious’ kitchen knives. It’s a superb steel in thinly ground Japanese chef knives.
I completely agree with you. Over the past 15 years I've mainly used VG-10 and MBS-26 and on occasion AUS-8 blades for my kitchen/food jobs and I've had excellent results.

When you consider how much more that S90V costs compared to VG-10 blades and think about the fact that the performance for food/culinary uses are very similar. Now I wouldn't mind adding a Sprig that has S90V blade steel to my line up of kitchen/culinary knives. But for the most part I've been extremely satisfied.