Smokey Mountain knife Works.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Smokey Mountain knife Works.

Post by benben »

A6FCF793-6D97-48AB-AAD9-4C61C3B6711D.jpeg
My first time to Sevierville, TN. One of the guys I work with said he wasn’t going to waste his time trying to describe it to me, he said I have to see it for myself!

It’s ridiculous! Is there any other place on Earth that has more knives under one roof? Maybe Deacon’s house!? :D

Nothing fancy, bought my daughter’s BF a yellow serrated Salt 2, and myself an old school saber grind Delica......I’ve just always wanted one!

In two hours, I didn’t see even half of the place!

Only time for one pic, my Pacific Salt overlooking some beautiful Tennessee real estate!
Sumdumguy

Re: Smokey Mountain knife Works.

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just don't give them your email, haha.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
benben

Post by benben »

Sorry, meant to post this in Off-Topic :rolleyes:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Why? It isn't offtopic. I see a Spyderco!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Got a free hat from them with my last spydie order - it's actually a great hat! I've had excellent service from them always.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I’m a big fan so far. Got myself and my brother Kershaw Bareknuckles in 20cv from them, one came with a pretty decent hat the other with a knife roll. Shipped super fast. Would love to go to the brick and mortar but don’t see myself in Tennessee any time soon.

Will definitely buy from them again.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Went there a lot in my 20s. Took my boys there when they were little. We'd rented a cabin and my wife dropped us off while she went to get groceries. She got stuck in traffic on the way back and was worried we'd be bored lol.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i recently placed an order from them and decided i’d try a cheap chinese “traditional” knife to see if i liked carrying it enough to spend more on a nicer version. turns out, i like it just fine and would rather have a small collection of these than a few expensive versions. plus, some of these rough ryder knives have interesting finish options. for my first, i went with a blackbeard’s legacy moose. it’s definitely cheap and has somewhat junky action, but it looks cool and it cuts things.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I always love to go to that store. I end up loosing time and money in there always. There is a huge guitar store up there, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

My wife and I stopped there on the way back from David Crockett Birthplace Campground year before last. I tried to race through the place in about two hours -- it would have taken 4 or 5. They have an amazing amount of antique and other knives, artifacts, an indoor stream, and interesting exhibits on about 3 or 4 floors. It's confusing because some are sort of split level as I recall. Also, a regular retail kitchenware store in one end in case your partner gets tired of knives and stuff :D I was a little disappointed by the number of Spyderco knives they had on hand, but they had tons of camp gear, clothes, and cheaper knives and gadgets for impulse purchases by tourists.

The people in their mail order department are super helpful and nice. I ordered some Putman scales from them and they sent me a cap like Julia's. It's a perfectly good, functional cap.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
benben

Post by benben »

Just had to go back one more time before we left! Ended up buying 5 Spyderco’s in both trips.

Serrated Salt 2.
Saber grind Delica.
Red handled Z-CUT, I’ll be trying it out tonight!
Green G-10 Dragonfly I bought to gift away.
And bought an Ambitious for the kid we took that went with our son.

So Sal, I’d appreciate a Christmas card this year please! ;) :D
1AE33DE0-C789-4593-B507-733AB2EAFA51.jpeg
benben

Post by benben »

As I said in the original post, I bought the serrated Salt 2 for my daughter’s boyfriend, his birthday is next week, I’m going to mark my calendar to see just how long it takes to see some blood. This kid is great, I like him, super nice, well mannered, and the son of a HUGE sports franchise owner / family member!

In the last year he’s been exposed to guns & knives nearly everyday........it’s all new to him and he really likes it, and I’m pretty sure he never sees this stuff at home. I’m trying to ruin him in a good way!
benben

Post by benben »

And for anyone who hasn’t had a chance to see or handle Spyderco’s high end kitchen cutlery, it’s very nice stuff! I’ve been on a Shun kick lately, getting two of them recently, they’re great knives. But my next “nice” kitchen knife will be a Spyderco!
benben

Post by benben »

Z-CUT will literally shave onions & tomatoes, these will make excellent stocking stuffer gifts!
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I was in Gatlenburg in the early 90's long before my knife addiction. Me and the wife have talked about a vacation there. I will go check it out for sure this time.
benben

Post by benben »

Thought I'd give an update on the Z-CUT, the blade is *just* a touch too thin for say....a fresh red onion, the blade wants to flex away from exactly where you're cutting. Right tool for the right job, right? On the other hand this little knife is a laser for tomatoes and other softer fruits and veggies!

I found it's calling for me and my family, anyone here know what a Sugar Kiss is? We love cantaloupes but they're so hit and miss around here! I was in Publix one day looking at cantaloupes and this little old lady comes up beside me and said "son, put that back down and try one of these" I'd never heard of a Sugar Kiss before, ever! It looks exactly like a cantaloupe but comes in a blue fishnet bag? I haven't bought a cantaloupe since that day! Problem is they're seasonal. I've seriously bought 50 or more since that first day, and I've already cut up probably 5 of them with my new Z-CUT. After I cut them in half with a butcher knife, I feel like a surgeon cutting one up with this Z-CUT. If you're in produce and see a Sugar Kiss, buy one, if you like cantaloupes these are like a cantaloupe on steroids flavor wise......I promise you'll love it!

And also.......I'm absolutely loving my new saber grind Delica, the action and lockup are perfect, and this is one of the sharpest new Spyderco's I've ever bought! In my pocket right now!
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

I've been trying to get this lame company to stop sending me paper catalogs for 6 months now. Does anybody else remember when they took preorders for the wrong price, charged credit cards at time of order, didn't honor the price, and took weeks to refund the money?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SSD_777 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:33 am
I've been trying to get this lame company to stop sending me paper catalogs for 6 months now. Does anybody else remember when they took preorders for the wrong price, charged credit cards at time of order, didn't honor the price, and took weeks to refund the money?
I definitely remember. And I hate their catalogs too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Their catalogs are good to test your edges with. It's free! I've been working on my freehand technique and experimenting with 1200 grit diamond vs spyderco medium finishes to see what feels or works better. It's the perfect paper to see if there are any snags, burrs, blunt sections, and if the blade will slice with or against the grain. And of course, making s-turns in the paper.

So far I've decided the edges are pretty comparable, but the diamond is decidedly more bitey and the medium has a slight advantage in push cutting. I like and can use both.

Bring on the catalogs! I need more paper to shred!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:17 am
Their catalogs are good to test your edges with. It's free! I've been working on my freehand technique and experimenting with 1200 grit diamond vs spyderco medium finishes to see what feels or works better. It's the perfect paper to see if there are any snags, burrs, blunt sections, and if the blade will slice with or against the grain. And of course, making s-turns in the paper.

So far I've decided the edges are pretty comparable, but the diamond is decidedly more bitey and the medium has a slight advantage in push cutting. I like and can use both.

Bring on the catalogs! I need more paper to shred!
I was going to say that they were pretty good for testing edges. I finished one last week, but no worries -- another one came today :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.