Affordable fixed blade (AFK)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Affordable fixed blade (AFK)

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 pm
Hi Jr,

That's a long name, but it is funny.

sal
Thanks! Maybe MTE would work, although that sounds like a metro light rail line.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:03 pm
This is intriguing. Will it be called the “More than Enuff”?
I vote for a Moranenuff, a Moran clip point on an Enuff handle.

OK, not really, but I had to. :o
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:10 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:03 pm
This is intriguing. Will it be called the “More than Enuff”?
I vote for a Moranenuff, a Moran clip point on an Enuff handle.

OK, not really, but I had to. :o
Ha, good one. The knife idea is not bad either.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:48 am
Hi Carrot, Cycleguy,

Thanx for the input. We'll make up an "Enuff 2" proto with 3mm stock and a 4" blade. As long as the handle doesn't change, there is little tooling costs for the handle. Tooling up for an FRN sheath would be expensive, but we'll make Kydex (Boltaron) sheaths for testing.

The Fixed blade design that I'm developing at this time has a very similar handle, though a bit longer.

sal
i would LOVE an enuff with a 4" blade! if we could get it in a different steel than vg10, that would be great too. i'd love to see lc200n, but i'd be happy with a host of others as well. it would make a great outdoors knife. and kydex would be great too!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Have to say, I am quite glad that I started this thread, I am happy that we had such a nice discussion about this subject.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

What about the one I sent you a while back, Sal?
Butterscotch G10 scales...etc
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Regarding the steel, if the objective is to keep raw material, tooling and processing costs down, I’d be happy with 52100 or AEB-L. If you can get the issues with procuring samples from Sandvik sorted out, 14c28N would also be interesting. I like CTS-BD1N in the Z-Cuts too.

This is probably a bit of a tangent Sal, but since you seem to have a good relationship with Crucible, I wonder what their thoughts would be on resurrecting that 3V Modified grade that Larrin mentioned in one of his articles. I believe they patented the composition but never went into production. It wouldn’t really be a cost efficient steel, given it replaces the vanadium content with niobium, but it might be something that works well for a future fixed blade model.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/02/27/ ... ble-steel/

I very much prefer a 3D contoured handle with palmswell on fixed blade knives, rather than slab sides, but I guess if it adds significant costs to the concept, then slab sided handles with contoured edges would be fine.

Thanks for starting this thread Pancake. I’m constantly surprised and impressed by how many of these ‘wish’ threads actually end up with Spyderco making a new model. Cheers Sal! :cool:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Definitely interested in a 4 inch enuff with something other than vg10!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:17 am
What about the one I sent you a while back, Sal?
Butterscotch G10 scales...etc
Hi Stuart,

Eric's been showing that model at shows, but we've not doe any shows since SHOT due to the virus. I don't think the issue here is design. The request is for lower cost, which is difficult when people want formed handles in G-10 and Kydex sheaths. Right now I'm not in a hurry to send more designs to China, so it's a challenging request. An injection molded handle for which we already have molds does reduce costs.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would be OK with a well done injection molded handle. Screw on, but not glued if possible while keeping costs in mind.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
carrot

Post by carrot »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:31 am
Definitely interested in a 4 inch enuff with something other than vg10!
I think this is pretty much key. We all know that VG-10 is a pretty great all-around steel but I think there is a lot of VG-10 (and S30V) fatigue in this and the overall knife community.

I think cladded HAP40 would be a good choice but AEB-L might be another. If successful, maybe we could see sprints in something fancier. I think American steels from Carpenter would spruce the model up nicely, but I know the Enuff handles are Japan.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have abused my Schempp Rock. I think VG10 makes a decent steel for a field knife. While batonning I have seen it bend further than most people would be comfortable with. It currently has a very subtle bend in it and despite repeated attempts at straightening it by bending it just keeps springing back to its current slightly bent position.

Then there was the summer I used it quite a bit as a throwing knife. We have very rocky soil and when you throw knives they will hit the ground. The edge got trashed but overall the damage was minimal.

It seems to be both durable and highly corrosion resistant. I don’t think durability will be an issue with a 4” blade. It is old news these days but it has its place. Keep in mind that the goal of this project seems to be hitting a certain price point.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

YAY!!! I like everything Sal posted so far. Hope this goes beyond the prototype. Did anyone mention SPY27?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

cycleguy wrote: YAY!!! I like everything Sal posted so far. Hope this goes beyond the prototype. Did anyone mention SPY27?

CG
Given the prices for the current spy27 folders Im not sure if it would be a cheap option.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

How about a production Spyderco/Mora colab?
They can make one heck of a beater fixed blade for next to nothing.

Give me a good design, with anything close to half way decent steel, at an amzing price, not made in China. I would be happy.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:46 am
Regarding the steel, if the objective is to keep raw material, tooling and processing costs down, I’d be happy with 52100 or ...
I would fall over in a faint if Spyderco did this in 52100 -- a smallish fixed blade (like 4 inches) in 52100 is something I have been thinking about for quite some time. That would be a great way for this escapade to turn.
malice

Post by malice »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:37 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:46 am
Regarding the steel, if the objective is to keep raw material, tooling and processing costs down, I’d be happy with 52100 or ...
I would fall over in a faint if Spyderco did this in 52100 -- a smallish fixed blade (like 4 inches) in 52100 is something I have been thinking about for quite some time. That would be a great way for this escapade to turn.
Agreed !

The PM2 in 52100 my favorite version of the Paramili2 !
You combine that with something like the bow river, which has, with the addition of a kydex sheath for scout carry and a pull-the-dot loop, pushed back almost every other knife in my collection to second option, when around the house and the garden.
But the best elements of those two together, and I do believe you may have just created the hungriest little edge on the planet.

Oh, and Sal, if I correctly picture the design you were talking about, would be able to take the BR's place on my belt
(Especially in AEB-L or 52100), it sounds fenomenal in its functionality.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Again, I am happy with this discussion and I am looking for what Spyderco could bring in the future
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi Carrot, Cycleguy,

Thanx for the input. We'll make up an "Enuff 2" proto with 3mm stock and a 4" blade.

Honestly, this almost sounds like a dream come true to me! :)

I so hope it will come in SE too (like the current Enuff)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

sal wrote:
Hi Carrot, Cycleguy,

Thanx for the input. We'll make up an "Enuff 2" proto with 3mm stock and a 4" blade. As long as the handle doesn't change, there is little tooling costs for the handle. Tooling up for an FRN sheath would be expensive, but we'll make Kydex (Boltaron) sheaths for testing.

The Fixed blade design that I'm developing at this time has a very similar handle, though a bit longer.

sal
The blade length is the only thing that stopped me from buying an Enuff until now. I'm all for this!